AX-15 Internal to External Slave Cylinder Clutch line write up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX-15 Internal to External Slave Cylinder Clutch line write up

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-08-2008, 08:57 PM   #1
bigredcherokee
1992 YJ Wrangler 

AX-15 Internal to External Slave Cylinder Clutch line write up

For those of you that want to do an external slave cylinder setup or in the process of one on your AX-15 I have found something that will hopefully make your conversion much easier.

My current build in progress is moving over a 1995 XJ 4.0 and ax-15 in my 1992 YJ. As you know a the 95 came with external slave cylinder already setup and I had just put a new one on before I Insanely decided to tear down a fully functional XJ so that I could do this project.

So here is what I had to work with.

1992 Clutch master cylinder and 1995 XJ Slave cylinder. neither hydralic lines would work as most know in this situation.

So I need to figure out how to make the two work with out spending alot of cash.

So after much searching I found that most go to the Stealer ship to buy a Clutch, Hose and Slave cylinder kit. My Dealer wanted $185.92 for it. In my case I'm on a budget as most of you. So nix that option.

I thought about going do my local hydraulic shop and having them build the line, but my concern was the pin lock fittings that both my Clutch and Slave cylinder require.

I decided to make a call to Advance Adapters and spoke with Steve. After giving the spill of what I was doing he said this wouln't be a problem. So today this is what I received, oh and it only cost me $75.00 to my door and its steel braded.

This setup may work on other setups. Rusty do you think the tread should be renamed?

I hope this will help some. Please rate this tread if it helps.

Thanks.

Last edited by bigredcherokee; 08-08-2008 at 09:23 PM..
bigredcherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Good info to know, and with great pics too!

I can even read the part number for the kit on the instructions page.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

JMO but $75 for a hose and 3 fittings seems a little steep, for a few more dollars ($120) you could buy a pre-bled slave/master assy. and eliminate any headaches of air in the system.
Unread 08-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
antontorres
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am dealing with the same issue, how did you blead the new slave cylinder??
antontorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
bigredcherokee
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8942 View Post
JMO but $75 for a hose and 3 fittings seems a little steep, for a few more dollars ($120) you could buy a pre-bled slave/master assy. and eliminate any headaches of air in the system.

Pat you have a good point but In my case I already had both clutch and slave new so it was the right choice for me.

antontorres

I removed the slave cylidner and poured alittle fluid in the clutch master cylinder and pushed the slave cylinder in and out watch your fluid level, add as needed untill you don't have any more bubbles surfacing in your clutch master cylinder.

Last edited by bigredcherokee; 08-15-2008 at 12:11 PM..
bigredcherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #6
antontorres
2005 LJ Wrangler 

bigred - the answer on how to bleed the external slave is understandable, makes sense and has been lacking in most of the AX15 upgrade questions. Parts of this upgrade are all over the place on the forum, spent a good week researching all the threads, this topic is worthy of a good writeup in the tech section. You also appeared to have answered my other question that I was waiting for a reply on, the older master will fit with the newer slave setup.

Why did you need a new hose, seems like an adapter between the old hose to the new slave would have worked, of course someone needed to sell one.
Unread 08-13-2008, 09:44 PM   #7
SteveJcoYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i'm going to be trying to do the same thing with my heep but with the ax-5, i got one off a 97 tj with the external slave on it, i'm hoping i can just do the same as you did, any chance you could get a pic of the setup ?
SteveJcoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #8
bigredcherokee
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yea, I will get you a pic up later to day.
Unread 08-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
bigredcherokee
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by antontorres View Post
bigred - the answer on how to bleed the external slave is understandable, makes sense and has been lacking in most of the AX15 upgrade questions. Parts of this upgrade are all over the place on the forum, spent a good week researching all the threads, this topic is worthy of a good writeup in the tech section. You also appeared to have answered my other question that I was waiting for a reply on, the older master will fit with the newer slave setup.

Why did you need a new hose, seems like an adapter between the old hose to the new slave would have worked, of course someone needed to sell one.
Antontorres

Thank you for your comment on what I have done so far. To answere you question about the hose was that I wanted to reduce the number for breaks in the line so to ward off any other points of possible failure. I could have taken both lines and cut and spice them with presss fittings but I didn't want to run the chance of a leak or the plastic breaking.

Hope this answeres your question. Good luck in your build.
Unread 08-15-2008, 12:08 PM   #10
bigredcherokee
1992 YJ Wrangler 

1995 XJ Slave cylinder

1992 YJ Clutch Master Cylinder
Unread 09-06-2008, 07:51 AM   #11
ragman

i need help. driving down the road came to a stop pulled my trans out of 5th gear, felt a drag. went to put it in first and wont go into gear. none not even reverse. clutch feels alright still has pressure, can hear the trans whining when i rev it up. but will not go into gear. not even if i shut the engine off. any ideas?
ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #12
d-barr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I plan to use my original lines (rubber and steel) and recently replaced master cylinder. It appears that there is something different between the 90's and 91's at the clutch pedal anyway. So....my ?? is which of the 3 fittings did you use on the slave cylinder? Quadratec has the AA -3 slave fitting but doesn't give much of a description.

Last edited by d-barr; 02-22-2009 at 04:50 PM..
d-barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2009, 05:20 PM   #13
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'll be crossing a similar bridge this summer. I'll be putting a '95 XJ AX-15 into my '87 YJ. I'm debating between making my '87 master work with the '95 slave, or make a '94 YJ master (which I also have) work with my firewall and clutch pedal (mounting and linkage are a different from what I can tell).

If the threads on your '92 master are the same as the threads on my '87 master, I don't see why this hose wouldn't work for me as well. Something for me to look into between now and then at least... Good luck on the rest of your project

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #14
bigredcherokee
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. So far I have been running this for about a 8 months now and no problems at all with the setup. I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work. Gook luck with your project.
Unread 02-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #15
bigredcherokee
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-barr View Post
I plan to use my original lines (rubber and steel) and recently replaced master cylinder. It appears that there is something different between the 90's and 91's at the clutch pedal anyway. So....my ?? is which of the 3 fittings did you use on the slave cylinder? Quadratec has the AA -3 slave fitting but doesn't give much of a description.
I didn't use a fitting on the 92 I use the the one on the left or middle cant remember.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.