Awkward Shackle/Spring Angle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Awkward Shackle/Spring Angle?

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-12-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
SimonTuffGuy
[I'm That Good]

Awkward Shackle/Spring Angle?

During the last offroad trip, I heard this really awkard sound while climbing a mud hill area. Caught a shot of it on the camera and just looked at it a little closer:

Does anything look a little "off" with that passenger side spring/shackle there? Or is that typical for that sort of articulation? I haven't seen this before, but I don't know that I've ever dropped the side that much before and caught it on camera.

It's a RC 2.5" spring and the shackles are 1" lift shackles from RC as well.

Just noticed it and wanted to get some clarification... Everything look fine now sitting on the pavement, so I don't think it's anything serious. Just wanted to confirm. :-P

Unread 04-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
SDGBASSE
1990 YJ Wrangler 

From what I can see, your shackle does look "inwards" which, I think, can cause damage on the spring, but I'm no expert on suspensions, I just wanted to tell you that the picture is awesome.
Unread 04-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
SimonTuffGuy
[I'm That Good]

Thanks. Props to my fiancee for nabbing that shot.

I know know it it's really "inwards" or it it's just because of the angle of the shot. She was off to the right side of the Jeep, and since I was coming up at a slight angle, maybe it just looks off...Even if the shackle isn't off, it looks like the spring is. And at that point, I'm just trying to see if it is normal.
Unread 04-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Go back and get a shot from the side.

Really though it looks right to me, but it's hard to say from that angle.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
SimonTuffGuy
[I'm That Good]

With a quick copy and paste via paint... The shackle looks to be in line with the drivers shackle... I'm pretty sure it's just the angle of the picture. But at that point, it still looks funky with the top of the spring.

Again - Maybe this is normal... It just looks awkward.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.