Average cost to replace a clutch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Average cost to replace a clutch

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-25-2007, 07:05 AM   #1
tj7695
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Average cost to replace a clutch

Ok, so I bought my Wrangler about 3 weeks ago, and already I think the clutch needs to be replaced. Reason is, I have noticed over the past few days the friction point has gotten progressively lower to the floor, and this morning, it was really hard to shift into any gear (1st especially), as if the clutch isn't fully engaged. What should I expect as an average cost to replace the clutch?

tj7695 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2007, 07:18 AM   #2
JGBrown
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Have you tried bleeding the fluid?
Mine sucked right after I bought it, I bled it and filled it to the right level and it has been well behaved since as far as pressure goes but it didn't change the shifting much.

I also switched the fluid in the transmission since it was quite low, I think most of the shifting problems came from that since it has been smooth shifting and reliable since.

as far as cost, I was quoted 400$+parts to do mine from the cheapest, 1340$ including parts from the most expensive.

Current:'95 Cherokee, almost stock.
JGBrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2007, 07:38 AM   #3
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Replaced mine 4 years ago. $110 for carbon fiber clutch (not trying to sound fancy... just a regular replacement clutch), pressure plate and throw out bearing. All work myself.

Anyone with some mechanical knowledge can change a clutch with a repair manual as a guide and some common sense.

While you're doing the clutch, its an excellent time to replace that rear main seal!
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2007, 07:41 AM   #4
tank29
Yeah, It's A Jeep Thing!!

2007 JK Wrangler 

Sounds just like the time when I bought mine!!!

If you have some buddies that can help you do it it should only cost around $200-$250 depending on the quality of the clutch. I had a price quote from a small garage and it was $800...

I find BEER usually helps find friends to do this type of job!!!

Good luck.

Todd

TeraFlex 3" Kit with 4 Arm Flex Kit, TeraFlex HD F & R Adj. Track Bar, Rock Krawler Spring Levelers, Yukon 5.13 Gears, Black Rock Soft 8 Steel Wheels 16x8 (4.25" BS), Cooper Discoverer STT 315/75/16, XRC Rear Bumper w/Tire Swing, Rugged Ridge Front w/Stinger, AEV Snorkel, Cobra 75, KC 130W Slim Lights w/Windshield Mounts, Xenon Flat Fender Flares
tank29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2007, 08:12 AM   #5
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj7695
Ok, so I bought my Wrangler about 3 weeks ago, and already I think the clutch needs to be replaced. Reason is, I have noticed over the past few days the friction point has gotten progressively lower to the floor, and this morning, it was really hard to shift into any gear (1st especially), as if the clutch isn't fully engaged. What should I expect as an average cost to replace the clutch?
I am by far no expert on clutches. The only clutch I have ever changed was on an old Saab I had. But the way I understand your problem sounds to me like a hydraulic problem. My problem is the opposite. The engagement point is almost to the top of the pedal. IMHO, either my clutch and/or pressure plate is worn. Maybe someone with more expertise could clarify.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2007, 08:48 AM   #6
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I would check the clutch master cylinder fluid level first; if your slave is leaking you may have sucked air into the system requiring you to bleed it. Is your pedal soft as well? That is a sure sign of air! $3.00 for a can of brake fluid!
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2007, 09:09 AM   #7
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Check for fluid on your inside firewall behind the clutch pedal.
Check your fluid level in the master cylander.
Bleed your fluid.

Changing your clutch out in the end shouldn't be too hard of a job but I would rule out these things before hand.

ALSO, Depending on what rig you have, you may need to look at the slave cylander as well.

PLEASE fill out your rig specs in your profile so we know what you have. There are about 4 different possibilities over the years of the YJ for clutch tranny etc.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2007, 02:15 PM   #8
coachchuck
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just replaced mine this last week. Cost $148 for the kit from autozone. O'Rielleys wanted $314 because there slave was $169.
Cost me a long days labor, I am kinda slow at it and didn't have the exact tools needed. The top 2 bolts on the bell housing are difficult.

Will depend on year also. Is it an BA or AX, if AX is it 5 or 15?

Do check your fluids and possibly bleed the air out of the line before going to the extreme of replacing the clutch.
Can you rev the engine in gear without changing the speed of your jeep?
coachchuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2007, 08:38 PM   #9
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachchuck
Just replaced mine this last week. Cost $148 for the kit from autozone...
What all was in the kit? I know your's is an AX-15, and mine is an AX-5. But maybe they are around the same price.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2007, 05:06 AM   #10
tj7695
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well, once I get it in gear it's fine, it's just getting it in gear that's the problem. The friction point is basically on the floor, and I literally have to muscle the shift into gear. I didn't have time to check anything last night thanks to work, but it's going in to the shop this morning.

88 YJ Stock
Unread 07-26-2007, 05:49 AM   #11
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Well, once I get it in gear it's fine, it's just getting it in gear that's the problem. The friction point is basically on the floor, and I literally have to muscle the shift into gear. I didn't have time to check anything last night thanks to work, but it's going in to the shop this morning.

88 YJ Stock

definatly sounds like hydraulic so far.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Unread 07-26-2007, 06:52 AM   #12
chupacabrah
1993 YJ Wrangler 

my pedal point is almost at the floor.

I"ve determined that my slave cyl is going out.

if it is the CLUTCH, then you will feel some slippage

I just bought LuK clutch kit, slave cyl, and master cyl all from clutch city online for $290 shipped.

this is the order i would check for things in:
1. check/fill/bleed fluid in master cyl
2. check for leaks around master cyl, and in floorboard near pedals
3. check for leak underneath bellhousing
4. replace master cylinder (easy/quick)
5. replace clutch and slave cyl (and possibly Rear main seal while down there...?)

Build Thread
jeep stuff
chupacabrah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2007, 07:10 AM   #13
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
88 YJ Stock
The only other problem I see here is you still are not telling us what your rig has. 2.5 or 4.2 clutch difference is big. You also have the puegot tranny if you have the 4.2 and the ax-5 if you have the 2.5. PLEASE, fill out your rig specs in your profile. You may not think so, but it does help answer your questions. All of the info given so far is good advice to follow.

Unread 07-26-2007, 11:47 AM   #14
tj7695
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, so I couldn't even get it in gear this morning, so I had it towed to my mechanic for him to look at, I just don't have the time at the moment to work on it. Not to be dumb, but when I go into my profile to input data I can't figure out how???? The catagory's are there, just can't input data, am I just stupid???? So to answer your question Rusty, it's the 4.2 w/ puegot trans. Well, I'll see later today what the outcome is...
Unread 07-26-2007, 11:51 AM   #15
chupacabrah
1993 YJ Wrangler 

user cp -> "edit your jeep information" (on left hand side)

sounds definitely hydraulic. master and/or slave

Build Thread
jeep stuff
chupacabrah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.