Autometer Electronic Speedo Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Autometer Electronic Speedo Question

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Autometer Electronic Speedo Question

So I'm installing an Autometer Sport Comp Electronic Speedo (3987).

Here are the instructions:

image-3147777241.jpg

image-3439707504.jpg

I had to take two photos because if I take a horizontal photo of the entire instructions, my iPhone wont allow me to rotate the pic, this you'll be looking at the photo with your head tilted.

Anyways, to my questions.

1) Can I run the the ground wire from the sender to a clean part of the frame or do I have to run the wire to the engine?

2) the white wire is the signal wire. Can I run it directly to the SIG on the gauge or do I have to send it to a Sine Wave 2 wire sender? I only ask this because I did the nutter bypass and no longer use the computer. The instructions say "if no computer" send white wire to Sine Wave...

I'm not sure if I'm under this diagram on the instructions.

I would think to just run white wire directly to the SIG on the gauge.

3) Lastly, the red wire goes to the +12V on the gauge. It also says to put an inline fuse (1amp) between the ignition switch and the red wire.

Is this the ignition wire I need to use? It's white with black striping and I have it labeled "Ignition 12 volt feed". I labeled all the wires a while back when I upgraded my dash and gauges. I'm just now doing my Speedo. I didn't have a running speedo for a while.

Here's what the wire looks like.

image-2929599769.jpg

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

CBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Can anyone help? Please.
Unread 05-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone? LOL
Unread 05-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
BionicOnion

from what i can see. it seems seeminly simple but i haven't bought my autometer speedo yet. Ground goes to chassis ground since chassis and engine ground together. as far as keyed ignition that's on you im using a toggle to power all my guages. as far as the white wire, it appears if your not using the input to the factory pcm then just send it to the guage.
BionicOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:15 AM   #5
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My sig wire is directly from sensor to the gauge. Granted I have an NP241C. Also I connected mine to an ignition source... You turn the key and boom it's on. Calibration is really simple too.

Edit: I forgot it was that way, but I had to put my computer in the loop. So I hooked mine up to the VSS output on the computer. Either way will work.
Unread 05-07-2013, 06:46 AM   #6
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I am currently at a stand still with my install. It turns out the bulb socket on the ATM 3987 is bad. I did power on the ignition to see the odometer light up. But no gauge lighting.

I was able to confirm my suspicions by swapping the socket out of the Tach and putting that in the Speedo. Turned the lights on and the Tach had no light but the Speedo did.

So I went on summit.com to see if I could find the socket but all I cold find are the ones that have the pigtails (electrical wires that go into the back of the socket). The sockets for the electronic gauges plug into the gauge well beyond the back of the housing.

I called a summit rep and all he could find are the ones with the pigtails and one that looked similar to the one I need but the back end is too long. It may not clear the back of the gauge housing. Instead of selling me something I may not need, he gave me the number to Autometer, which is not the easiest number to find.

I called a rep at ATM and he said that that particular part does not have a serial number, that's why we couldn't find it. He was nice enough to put one in the mail for me.

Looooong story short, if your lights on your elec. gauge are not working it could be the socket. If it is, you have to call ATM to get a direct replacement. It was free, too.

I have the Speedo hooked up but I haven't had a chance to test it yet. I'll do that as soon as I get the other socket.
Unread 05-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #7
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you have any issues let me know and I'll walk you through them.
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I appreciate that. I'll let you know.
Unread 05-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I got the new socket and the light is working just fine now.
Unread 05-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Once the speedo is calibrated, does anyone know how to enter existing mileage of the vehicle? So the odometer reads the proper mileage?
Unread 05-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

when I got mine, there was a label on it that said something like: when first installed, the odometer will read between 2 & 5 miles. this is due to factory testing for accuracy. the odometer reacing can not be changed

basically, you just got yourself a low-milage YJ
I guess the only thing you could do for documentation purposes would be to hang on to your old speedometer for reference
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #12
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That f-Ing sucks! Had I known that would be the case, I wouldn't have bought this. Oh well. Thanks for the info.
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #13
dailydrivenyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i would contact autometer. i have seen on other sites that they will flash your odometer to read whatever miles you want. i believe the fee was a nominal amount like 25 bucks or something.
dailydrivenyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 04:01 PM   #14
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah you're right. I called them and its $25. I asked the guy if I can calibrate the speedo first and send it in later. He said that should be fine because the calibration is independent of running up the numbers on the Odometer. Is this true? He sounded like he wasn't 100% sure.
Unread 05-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #15
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

another thing you could do (for free)...

calibrate the speedo "incorrectly".... the procedure normally is hold button while you turn it on and needle pegs then sticks at half-way... get to beginning of measured 2 mile stretch, press button and drive while the speedo counts pulses... then at the 2 mile mark, press button again and it's calibrated counting so many pulses in a space you're telling it is 2 miles....

well, what if you pressed the button to start, then drove like 50-100 feet, then pressed the button again. granted, for a while, the speedometer would be thinking you're breaking the sound barrier as you drive down the highway.... but it would rack up miles quickly until you get reasonably close to your original milage.

when I installed mine (Phantom II) I made the mistake of pressing the button to end at the ONE mile mark instead of two.... I was wondering why it was telling me I was doing 120+ on the highway as cars were passing me.... but my 10 yr old son got a kick out of it LOL
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.