Automatic Transmission Mount Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Automatic Transmission Mount Replacement

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-08-2006, 08:48 PM   #1
94YJ H.O.

Automatic Transmission Mount Replacement

Ok, well I got tired of watching my transfercase shifter move 1" left and right each time I stepped on the gas, so I decided to replace my transmission mount.

Here's a run down of what you'll need:

Transmission Mount (duh) (I purchased the Anchor brand mount from AutoZone. Only cost $18 for the lifetime warranty and all)

Assorment of deep well sockets (the set I used was between 3/8" and 3/4")

3/8" Ratchet wrench

3/8" Breaker Bar

Floor jack w/ block of wood to support transmission and transfer case

Engine Degreaser

PB Blaster rust solvent

I started by supporting the transmission and transfer case with a floor jack. I placed a block of wood on top to keep from punching a hole in the pan, like so:

Next I removed the two bolts that attach the transmission mount to the crossmember/skid plate. The other bolt with the rubber bushing ended up getting cut off:

Next, there is six bolts that attach the skid plate to frame of the jeep. Mine were in really good condition and I had little trouble getting them off. One was rather stubborn, so I just put my jack handle on the end of my breaker bar and with the added leverage it came free easily:

Here's where I used my grinder to take off the bolt that couldn't be removed the traditional way. After a few wheeling trips the bottom of the bolt had been scraped quite a bit. I had no choice but to cut it off:

More grinding, almost there:

With the skid plate free, it was time to clean off 12 years of dirt, grime, and transmission fluid. Here's what it looked like before hand:

After putting my girlfriend (the picture taker) to work for a good 30 minutes, the skid plate looked much better, pratically new inside and out:

Of course while Jer was getting her hands dirty, I was busy removing the old mount. Here's a picture of the old (on the left) and the new (on the right):

Installation is just the reversal. There's two bolts that hold the mount to the transmission. You will need your ratchet wrench and a preferably a box end wrench to remove and install them. I took this time to clean up the transmission pan and transfer case with the engine degreaser as well. It might not be a bad idea to double check the tightness of the transmission pan bolts either. I did this and found all of them at least 1 to 1.25 turns loose. It should only take about an hour, but because of the cold it took us a little longer. I saved a ton of time by having Jer clean up the skid plate while I was removing and replacing the transmission mount. It really makes things like this easy when you have a girlfriend who's willing to help out (honestly, she volunteered to do it )

Anyway, there's not much to it and I have noticed my transfer case shifter doesn't move nearly as much, only about 1/4" side to side when starting from a complete stop. I don't have any new or noticeable vibrations due to the stiffness of the new mount.

Enjoy!

My NEW [url="http://www.rigrater.com"]RigRater[/url] Score: 406RRv1.0 with a BOA of 31.60
94YJ H.O. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2006, 11:35 AM   #2
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

1996 XJ Cherokee 

i did this one in the parking lot at work one day, but couldnt get the 2 bolts that hold the mount to the tranny all the way tight... how the heck did you get in there to tighten them up? I think mine have come out again...
BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2006, 12:33 PM   #3
superjoe

nice write up

man i dont remember my jeep being that close to the ground. when i did my tranny replacement last time i could nto get a tranny jack to go up high enough to reach the tranny.
()_) ()_)----)_)
superjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2006, 12:45 PM   #4
94YJ H.O.

Racefan:

I used my box end wrench (9/16\" I believe) on the top part of that bolt to hold it in place, then used a ratchet wrench to tighten the nut down onto the bolt. I then double checked it all with my torque wrench (bought just for this project, only like $12 at harbor freight ). I didn\'t have too much problem getting the wrench in there.

SuperJoe:

Yeah it looks pretty low in that pic, part of it because my driveway is flat where the front axle and oil pan is located, the right where the tranny pan it starts the standard driveway slope towards the street. Plus, look at my Rig Rater score :

My NEW [url="http://www.rigrater.com"]RigRater[/url] Score: 406RRv1.0 with a BOA of 31.60
Unread 01-09-2006, 12:51 PM   #5
superjoe

what do you mean here is mine
My RigRater Score: 652RRv1.0 with a BOA of 27.43
()_) ()_)----)_)
superjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2006, 12:56 PM   #6
toplessjeep

well at least your tranny mount was in once piece when you removed it
toplessjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2006, 01:07 PM   #7
94YJ H.O.

Superjoe:

I saw a few guys\' scores and mine was like a third of that, i guess its not too bad with only 1\" shackle lift

Topless:

Yeah, it was barely together, I didn\'t take a pic but it was almost split in two, and the rubber was all mushy. I think a lot of that came from the tranny fluid.

Unread 01-10-2006, 11:09 AM   #8
CalicoYJ

Last edited by CalicoYJ; 01-10-2006 at 01:46 PM..
CalicoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2006, 01:26 PM   #9
CalicoYJ

Last edited by CalicoYJ; 01-10-2006 at 01:46 PM..
CalicoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.