Automatic trans cooler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Automatic trans cooler

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-02-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
Robbypfd

Automatic trans cooler

I have my auto trans cooler mounted to the A/C radiator right now,but I want to remove the A/C radiator for more air flow for the motor radiator. Will it be ok to mount the trans cooler to the motor radiator or will the trans cooler get to hot.

Thanks for any help
Rob

Robbypfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would recommend getting the A/C discharged before removing the condenser. There won't be a problem mounting the cooler to the radiator, automatic transmissions run hotter than the motor so it will take away the heat.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
leroy-yjeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Mine doesnt have A/C and mine is right in the middle of the front of the motor radiator.

I believe they came that way from factory.

1990 YJ, 350 TBI, 5 speed, NP 241, XRC winch, 8.8 LSD rear, 30 LSD front, 37" MTR's, ....lots to do.
leroy-yjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

A buddy of mine mounted his against the grill bars so it's flush with the grill, not touching anything... It doesnt look TOO bad because he has a winch, but its a matter of opinion, your "safe" putting it flush with your radiator, lol your tranny fluid used to run INTO the bottom of the radiator so your definatly still going to be doing better then you were...

Why get rid of your AC?
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
Robbypfd

I dont use the A/C so I am going with OBA

Thanks for the replies
Robbypfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
BadAddetude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This is where I mounted mine:

On these:

While I wouldn't recommend it, It'd be ok to mount it directly to the engine radiator, no issues.

Make sure to keep the cooling lines routed through the heat exchanger in the engine radiator, before the aux. cooler. Water/coolant conducts heat better than air, so your best cooling is done by the exchanger.
1995 YJ: 4.0, 700R4, 231 C/J case, TeraFlex SS SYE/CV shaft, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 136 Amp Alternator, Trans Cooler, Pavement Ends Flip-top/H-T, 2'' BDS Suspension Lift, MORE 5/8' Greasables, Sony GT-210 Xplode Head.

Under the Knife! See the build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/badaddetudes-build-project-hrp-602142/
BadAddetude is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.