Auto transmission to manual transmisson swap. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Auto transmission to manual transmisson swap.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
raber88
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Auto transmission to manual transmisson swap.

Hey guys,

First off I would like to say thanks for all the great information on this thread! Although I am a new member I have been searching this thread for months.

Anyway, I have a 1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ 2.5L with an auto transmission. The engine and transmission are both getting weak and I need to be planning for the future. I have found a guy selling a 1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ 2.5L engine, transmission, and transfer case online.

If I made the swap I would change everything, engine, transmission, and transfer case. My question is what will I be looking into if I did make the swap like this? Should everything in theory bolt up? What would I need to look into with switching an auto to a manual? Thanks in advance for all your help!

raber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

First off - WELCOME from the shadows into the light.

Second, what transmission is bolted up to the 2.5 for sale? The AX-5? If so, a word of caution, 5th gear in the AX-5 is held in place with a C-clip that has a tendency to crack allowing 5th gear to slide away giving you a 4 speed transmission. Also, the AX-5 isn't the strongest trans out there. If it's an AX-15, you're golden.

As for the swap, you're going to need to get a new steering column. One without the shifter on it. I believe, but I'm sure those with more knowledge will chime in, there's some wiring that has to get changed around as well. I thought about going down this road with my rig and was advised that it was more of a job than it was worth. Not sure how valid the statement was.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
sprngrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It depends if the ax-5 that comes with it is in good shape. You will need the clutch hydraulics, as well. It will be an internal slave, which is lame. A 4.0 swap would be worth the effort.
Unread 02-20-2014, 07:21 AM   #4
raber88
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I am going to hold off on this purchase. I'm just gonna run my current set up until it quits and go from there.
raber88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.