Auto trans cooling line replacement. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Auto trans cooling line replacement.

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-03-2007, 11:14 AM   #1
hogzilla
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Auto trans cooling line replacement.

I have a tf999 ( i think ) in a '94 auto and the ATF cooling line to the rad has a slow leak. I'm sick of adding a quart every month or so and sick of seeing that puddle in the parking spot grow. Would this solve my problems ? it says it's universal. Or would I be better off going to the stealership and getting oem lines.
I'm also planning on installing a transmission cooler as well.

Here's the "universal" kit for the lines : http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?pid=493804

hogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #2
hogzilla
1994 YJ Wrangler 

BUMP.............. Anyone ?

Maybe I should have titled this one " 8.8 Question " Or " which 4" lift ? "
Unread 05-03-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Is the line rusted out or is it leaking at the fitting into the radiator? I have slipped and clamped fuel line over cut-off hardlines in the past with no problems. If you do cut the bad section out, use a tubing cutter, a saw will put shavings into the transmission.
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #4
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Go to your favorite house junk store like lowe's, home depot, ace or whatever and get some brass NPT to 3/8" hose barb fittings for the trans and your new cooler. Mount the cooler in front of your rad and use some 3/8 transmision cooler hose from Autozone to connect it all.

Bypass the trans heater in the radiator all together.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 12:50 PM   #5
nerf965
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Depending on where your leak is, I used this on my 88 yj and worked out well, just make sure your lines and on tight. This kit is easier to install then factory lines.
nerf965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 01:55 PM   #6
hogzilla
1994 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the repiles. The leak is at the connection from the soft line to the hard line. It seems to drip on something that's making it splash on everything.
Unread 05-03-2007, 02:47 PM   #7
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogzilla
thanks for the repiles. The leak is at the connection from the soft line to the hard line. It seems to drip on something that's making it splash on everything.

I had the exact same issue on my '94 as well. When I upgraded to a new trans cooler I decided to fix the problem at the same time.

I did what was mentioned earlier, I took some 3/8" hose (in my case I used power steering hose as it's a bit heavier duty) and cut off the factory line right behind the metal to rubber crimp. I used a small pipe cutter, but I believe most flaring kits include a cutter as well.

If you would like I can try and snag a couple pictures as I need to crawl under the Jeep today to lengthen my CAD vac. lines and swap my speedo gear.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 02:51 PM   #8
hogzilla
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Like it ? I would Love it I'll be glad to finally take care of this. It's been pestering me for months now. Thanks a lot !
Unread 05-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #9
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Ok, here's what I did:

In this picture you can see the feed line going into the radiator cooler, I decided to run my trans cooler inline with the factory one. Acording to Hayden this will provide the most cooling:

Here you can see I ran the hose out of the factory cooler and into the Hayden unit, you can also see that my return line is leaking, which I need to fix here shortly as well:

Here is the return line coming from the Hayden cooler and connecting to the factory hardline:

Unfortunately I cannot remember if the brass fittings came with my Hayden kit or if I had to find them in bulk. Also, I have started switching over to bulk power steering hose instead of fuel hose. The reason for this is a higher pressure rating and it seems to withstand the elements a bit better before it starts getting spongy and soft feeling.

You might also want to put a small flare on the end of the factory hard lines to help prevent leaking, but this is not required. Also, stay away from regular hose clamps and they tend to bite into the hose and damage it. As you can see I have yet to swap mine over to the "Fuel Injection" style of hose clamp.

Feel free to shoot me some more questions if you have any!

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 06:06 PM   #10
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I bought oil cooler hose at the local aut parts store and double clamped those lines. My hard lines were very rusted and when I replaced the seal and filter in my trans I bought 2- 5/16" x 48" brake lines for $20. I cut the double flare off 1 end slid the brake line fittings off and removed my old hard lines. I cut the 5/16" flare nut off the old lines slid them on teh new ones and bent them to match. worked like a charm. Make sure that you get rubber trans cooler line and not fuel line. The trans lines can handle the fluid, heat and pressure.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.