Auto Tranny Leaking after Sitting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Auto Tranny Leaking after Sitting

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
dynosaur
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Auto Tranny Leaking after Sitting

Thanks to all who helped me with my steering issues. Still working it out. New issue. My YJ has an auto tranny (yea I know). It shifts fine but after sitting for a while (a week or so) it is leaking tranny fluid from the dust cover on the bell housing. I'm not talking about a few drops, it's leaking a lot. If I drive for awhile and let it sit, no leaks. If it sits for a week thete is a lake under it. Could it be the torque converter seal or maybe fluid is draining back and coming out of the vent on top of the pump. Don't really want to pull the tranny if I don't need to.
Thanks for any input.

dynosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the seal might have shrunk or dried up. There are additives that claim to swell seals, but don't know how they would affect a trans.

I have an automatic. I love it. Great at the dunes, they are great in the mud, great for crawling.
Unread 03-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
Jeepsr4me

its more likely the front seal. you would have to over fill the trans a LOT to get fluid close to the vent hole level.
They do make seal conditioners for trans. It basically swells the material in a rubber or what ever material they made of. Works well on some and not on others, real hit and miss, but worth a shot to save you pulling it .
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Sounds like the seal might have shrunk or dried up. There are additives that claim to swell seals, but don't know how they would affect a trans.

try this first, i have had good luck with rear main seal leak by adding additives, can't hurt.....
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahanabob View Post
try this first, i have had good luck with rear main seal leak by adding additives, can't hurt.....
I think your right. It has a chance to work because the seal is swelling on it's own when he drives it.
Unread 03-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

will not be instant results so be patient, may take a couple of hundred miles.
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
dynosaur
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah. I agree. What can it hurt, plus it may save pulling the tranny. I'll give it a try. Probably Lucas brand.
Thanks.
Unread 03-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosaur View Post
Thanks to all who helped me with my steering issues. Still working it out. New issue. My YJ has an auto tranny (yea I know). It shifts fine but after sitting for a while (a week or so) it is leaking tranny fluid from the dust cover on the bell housing. I'm not talking about a few drops, it's leaking a lot. If I drive for awhile and let it sit, no leaks. If it sits for a week thete is a lake under it. Could it be the torque converter seal or maybe fluid is draining back and coming out of the vent on top of the pump. Don't really want to pull the tranny if I don't need to.
Thanks for any input.
It's the best auto put in a JEEP
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It might help you get more miles out of the trans, not much to lose by trying it.

Since it's only happening when sitting for a longish time, it sounds like dry seals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosaur View Post
...New issue. My YJ has an auto tranny (yea I know).....
Compared to the crappy manual used in the early YJs, the TF999 was probably a lot more reliable

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me
its more likely the front seal. you would have to over fill the trans a LOT to get fluid close to the vent hole level.
They do make seal conditioners for trans. It basically swells the material in a rubber or what ever material they made of. Works well on some and not on others, real hit and miss, but worth a shot to save you pulling it .
I disagree (though jeepers4me knows his stuff ), I have the auto 32rh and if you even think about adding one extra .5 quart, have fun as spills out on your first large incline under load. You are more likely to see vent over flow when under load up a hill, not sitting for a week. So I agree with these guys, must be the seal.

Cheers, hope you get it figured out.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
dynosaur
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I added some Lucas conditioner a couple of days ago. So far no more leaks. I know it's only a stop gap and I'm going to have to pull the tranny. Thanks for the help.
Unread 03-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #12
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosaur
I added some Lucas conditioner a couple of days ago. So far no more leaks. I know it's only a stop gap and I'm going to have to pull the tranny. Thanks for the help.
I battled 32rh leaks for 7 years over multiple swaps. The part I hate is the amount of money spent on fluid. I'm going to swap a ax15 later on this year.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.