Auto Tranny Indicator Needle Missing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Auto Tranny Indicator Needle Missing

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 05-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Auto Tranny Indicator Needle Missing

Just bought a YJ today. It's totally stock and a virgin to dirt. All that's about to change, but she needs a couple things right off the bat. For one, the little needle for the gear indicator on the steering column is missing, so I can't tell what gear I'm in. Not a HUGE deal, but I'd like to fix it. Anyone know how??

Side note: The 4x4 light doesn't come on, so I don't know if I'm in 4hi or 4lo. Help on that is appreciated as well!

aldersonfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The 4x4 light is controlled by a switch located at the vacuum disconnect. Start with a volt meter to rule out wiring, fuse or bulb.

The indicator is most likely a junkyard only part but can be found on lots of GM vehicles. The entire steering colum is a bolt in replacement from s Chevy S10.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Just a little warning, these break easy. Mine was missing when I got it, found one, installed it. The first time I yanked it into L1 it snapped off. A little extra play in the linkage let it have more travel than the pointer in it's slot.
Unread 05-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
mustanggarage
1990 YJ Wrangler 

actually you can buy them from here. http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/.../52003154.html

I just put one in my 90 yj a couple months ago.
mustanggarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

It is one part that is fairly cheap at the dealership.

It is the Pernundel, I sold many of them.

What breaks is the small piece of braided fishing line. You can fix it, but likely not worth messing with when new parts are available.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.