Auto Meter Gauges Install ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Auto Meter Gauges Install ?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-28-2007, 05:45 AM   #1
DaSham58
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Auto Meter Gauges Install ?

I am starting the install and on the fuel gauge I got the 0 empty/ 90 full I have a 4.0 in it now and it came with the 258 and has a 20 gallon tank. I wonder if the 0/90 is for the 15 gallon tank?What the gauge is doing it is reading higher than what it should! Did I get the wrong gauge? Any one no if I have the right gauge or which one I need?
And I just installed a new factory sending unit.

Unread 08-28-2007, 08:43 AM   #2
YJ-Mike

Do you have a multimeter? If so, pull the sending unit from the tank, and measure the resistance with the float all the way up (full tank), and all the way down (empty tank). That is the best way of knowing for sure exactly which gauge you need.

This is from the FSM for my 04 4.0L:

NOTE: For diagnostic purposes,
this 12V power source can only be verified
with the circuit opened (fuel pump module
electrical connector unplugged). With the connectors
plugged, output voltages will vary from
about 0.6 volts at FULL, to about 8.6 volts at
EMPTY (about 8.6 volts at EMPTY for Jeep
models, and about 7.0 volts at EMPTY for
Dodge Truck models).

2006 TJ X (Stock - w/ Borla Cat-Back Exhaust)

Built a YJ from the ground up:

- '04 4.0L (4,000 miles), NV3550 (0 miles), NP231 w/ HD SYE (9,000 miles), 33x12.50x15 Pro-Comp AT's, HP D30/8.8 (4.56 gears), ARB Lockers front and rear w/ compressor, hard/soft tops, full/half doors.
-----> Build thread can be read here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/yj-build-plan-259306/
YJ-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2007, 09:38 AM   #3
DaSham58
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ-Mike
Do you have a multimeter? If so, pull the sending unit from the tank, and measure the resistance with the float all the way up (full tank), and all the way down (empty tank). That is the best way of knowing for sure exactly which gauge you need.

This is from the FSM for my 04 4.0L:

NOTE: For diagnostic purposes,
this 12V power source can only be verified
with the circuit opened (fuel pump module
electrical connector unplugged). With the connectors
plugged, output voltages will vary from
about 0.6 volts at FULL, to about 8.6 volts at
EMPTY (about 8.6 volts at EMPTY for Jeep
models, and about 7.0 volts at EMPTY for
Dodge Truck models).
I called AutoMeter and they said that I had the right gauge and said for me to run new wires from the tank up. Thanks for the info.
Unread 08-28-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
coyote_94yj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSham58
I am starting the install and on the fuel gauge I got the 0 empty/ 90 full I have a 4.0 in it now and it came with the 258 and has a 20 gallon tank. I wonder if the 0/90 is for the 15 gallon tank?What the gauge is doing it is reading higher than what it should! Did I get the wrong gauge? Any one no if I have the right gauge or which one I need?
And I just installed a new factory sending unit.
I have the same gauge in mine and it does seem to be just a little higher. I just left it that way. Although if I ever need to drop the tank for anything, I will probably just make a small adjustment to the float to compensate.

Chris
coyote_94yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
Ares
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What exactly do you mean "the gauge is reading higher then it should?" Are you talking about when full, the needle passes the F, or stays on F for a while? Or when empty the needle still reads you have sufficiant fuel.

Most sending units will read full for a while, because the amount of fuel put in the tank will fill past the sending unit. After about 50 miles, the fuel level will drop enough for the sending unit to start to read it.

Also, when you ran new wires, be sure you ran a new ground. Grounds are the culperate of a lot of electrical issues.

And you can check the ohms of your sender with a cheap multimeter. Just slice the coating open on the wire, connect the mutimeter in parallel with it, and look at the ohm reading. Do it when full, then run it down to near empty and do it again. It should be 0 empty, 89 full. The sending unit ohm reading I highly doubt changed between tank sizes, since then the gauge cluster would need to change since the fuel gauge in there would have to read at different ohms. The sending unit is just longer.

Axle Information Thread
Oil Filter Study
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2007, 01:16 PM   #6
DaSham58
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares
What exactly do you mean "the gauge is reading higher then it should?" Are you talking about when full, the needle passes the F, or stays on F for a while? Or when empty the needle still reads you have sufficiant fuel.

Most sending units will read full for a while, because the amount of fuel put in the tank will fill past the sending unit. After about 50 miles, the fuel level will drop enough for the sending unit to start to read it.

Also, when you ran new wires, be sure you ran a new ground. Grounds are the culperate of a lot of electrical issues.

And you can check the ohms of your sender with a cheap multimeter. Just slice the coating open on the wire, connect the mutimeter in parallel with it, and look at the ohm reading. Do it when full, then run it down to near empty and do it again. It should be 0 empty, 89 full. The sending unit ohm reading I highly doubt changed between tank sizes, since then the gauge cluster would need to change since the fuel gauge in there would have to read at different ohms. The sending unit is just longer.
I had between a half and 3/4 of a tank and when I hooked the gauge up it reads right at the full mark!So I went and filled the tank up and now it went way past the full mark. I called A/M and he had me do a test on the gauge he thinks the gauge is bad.He had me to unhook the sending wire from the gauge and then ground the sending part of the gauge. He said it should go to empty and it just went to a 1/4 of the tank. I will say one thing they sure have a good customer support that is for sure!He also said it might take the Chrysler one which is 73 Ohm empty/ 8-12 Ohm full?
Unread 08-28-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
Ares
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thats pretty cool that they took you through the steps to check out the gauge. It does sound like a bad gauge. I don't think it would take a 73-8ohm sending unit, but if anyone knows for sure feel free to chime in.

Axle Information Thread
Oil Filter Study
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
DaSham58
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares
That's pretty cool that they took you through the steps to check out the gauge. It does sound like a bad gauge. I don't think it would take a 73-8ohm sending unit, but if anyone knows for sure feel free to chime in.
It is hard to find places with this good of customer support they offered to send me another gauge but I told them the place that I got the gauges would have me one tomorrow He is also going to order the 73/8ohm gauge to see if it is the right one.I hope this works this is all I am waiting on to finish.
Unread 08-28-2007, 10:29 PM   #9
rollerized
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sent you a pm
rollerized is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.