Auto locker! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Auto locker!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #16
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Yep, that one had to hurt. Better now though right?
Better? No. Smarter? Yes. If I were to take my ankle to the scrap yard, I'd be able to retire on it. And I'm only 27!

I didn't mean to hijack this thread, I promise!

I'll reiterate: install the posilock for when the going gets rough, the rough have an easy button!

Unread 09-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #17
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

Better? No. Smarter? Yes. If I were to take my ankle to the scrap yard, I'd be able to retire on it. And I'm only 27!

I didn't mean to hijack this thread, I promise!

I'll reiterate: install the posilock for when the going gets rough, the rough have an easy button!
What happened, if I may? I had posi on my 87, but my current 89 doesn't...
Unread 09-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #18
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

It wasn't directly related to this thread, just an unnecessary tangent I started and it led to a short-lived topic on ignoring safety. I apologize for hijacking!
Unread 09-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #19
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
It wasn't directly related to this thread, just an unnecessary tangent I started and it led to a short-lived topic on ignoring safety. I apologize for hijacking!
I was just curious why you recommend the posi for when the "going gets rough". I'm currently using the CAD, but if there's a safety issue, I'd certainly like to know about it!
Unread 09-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #20
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

With sufficient torque and horsepower, the manual (or Manuel) steering set up can be quite dangerous. If you've ever experienced bumpsteer while driving down the road then you'll know what I'm talking about when I said you can break your wristbone (it's connecting the handbone and the armbone ) Now couple that steering geometry with torque now coming from not one wheel on the front axle but both wheels. Steering is more and more difficult and if you're trying to turn and hit the gas with the front locked it's possible that the jeep goes straight and catches just enough traction on the front to steer your wheels straight which now turns your arm that's on the steering wheel into a pretzel. Ever noticed how the spokes of the stock yj steering wheel kind of resemble blades? Yeah. Me too. Even worse, what if it's your spotter that takes a hit because you couldn't hold the wheel? I wouldn't want to live with that.

I just want to say that this pseudo story is purely hypothetical but is 100% possible. Im just hoping that everyone knows their rigs well enough and they dont think they're superman with the new lock right in the 30 because the first two obstacles were easy. The posilock will allow you to turn by disengaging both wheels from the powered driveshaft.
Unread 09-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #21
BondoBbad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have a manual steering rack. But I do have a locker in the front of my rig with one piece chromo axles no CAD or posi-lock BS. Even in 4wd it's not that bad. I can't feel it hardly at all on the road and on the trail it's a little harder to turn and I usually have to do 3 point turns on tight switchbacks. Hell, I was at gulchfest for 3 days and never took my jeep out of 4wd the entire time I was there. And you would be amazed at how much easier everything is with a locker, It's night and day.
BondoBbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #22
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
With sufficient torque and horsepower, the manual (or Manuel) steering set up can be quite dangerous. If you've ever experienced bumpsteer while driving down the road then you'll know what I'm talking about when I said you can break your wristbone (it's connecting the handbone and the armbone ) Now couple that steering geometry with torque now coming from not one wheel on the front axle but both wheels. Steering is more and more difficult and if you're trying to turn and hit the gas with the front locked it's possible that the jeep goes straight and catches just enough traction on the front to steer your wheels straight which now turns your arm that's on the steering wheel into a pretzel. Ever noticed how the spokes of the stock yj steering wheel kind of resemble blades? Yeah. Me too. Even worse, what if it's your spotter that takes a hit because you couldn't hold the wheel? I wouldn't want to live with that.

I just want to say that this pseudo story is purely hypothetical but is 100% possible. Im just hoping that everyone knows their rigs well enough and they dont think they're superman with the new lock right in the 30 because the first two obstacles were easy. The posilock will allow you to turn by disengaging both wheels from the powered driveshaft.
You made me think about something there. I have power steering in my jeep, but it does make one think about using an auto locker. Maybe Ill just save the extra $600 and put an ARB in the front. That way, its on/off with the flick of a switch. Or, at least, buy an electric locker....
jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #23
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumphrey View Post
You made me think about something there. I have power steering in my jeep, but it does make one thing about using an auto locker. Maybe Ill just save the extra $600 and put an ARB in the front. That way, its on/off with the flick of a switch. Or, at least, buy an electric locker....
I went ECTED Max and highly recommend it!
Unread 09-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #24
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The posilock will allow you to turn by disengaging both wheels from the powered driveshaft.
Not if he has an auto locker, the driver side will still get power.

My advice, hold off on it unless you're confident you'll be able to control the vehicle. I had the fork in my CAD go bad, so it was disconnected. With only one wheel getting power, the Jeep really wants to go right, especially if you give it some gas.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #25
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFranko View Post
Not if he has an auto locker, the driver side will still get power.

My advice, hold off on it unless you're confident you'll be able to control the vehicle. I had the fork in my CAD go bad, so it was disconnected. With only one wheel getting power, the Jeep really wants to go right, especially if you give it some gas.
Youre absolutely right about that. My train of thought went from locked front end to open front end. Thank you for the continuity reality check.
Unread 09-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #26
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

I went ECTED Max and highly recommend it!
I'll have to research those and see if it's better than arb. For a Dana 30, arb is ~$800 + the cost of an air compressor. Arb also has a nice compressor that's supposed to be able to air up 35" tires, run air tools, and also serves as a compressor for their lockers via a "manifold kit".

I don't know how much the kit is, but I'm looking at around $1200 for the locker & compressor. That's a lot of dough, but cheaper than a surgeon bill!
Unread 09-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #27
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Youre absolutely right about that. My train of thought went from locked front end to open front end. Thank you for the continuity reality check.
Yeah I just noticed that because I had it happen to me. It made for an interesting day of wheeling when only one of your front wheels has constant power.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.