Auto dimming rearview mirror with compass and temperature install - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Auto dimming rearview mirror with compass and temperature install

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 01-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #31
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What line did you guys tap into for the power source? Normally I would tap into the cig lighter but I've been having problems with that, lots of blown fuses. Any other lines for 12v power source?

CBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #32
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would park the jeep in the sun and wait till mid day or later when its warmest. I then took the heat gun and waved it over the whole windshield until it was warm to the touch. I then heated the area around the tab and then the tab, it popped right off with a thin putty knife.

Not sure how your 89 is. But on my 93, there was a unused single female connector on the fuse box on mine. I used a male spade connector and plugged in there.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
Future mods: NV4500, NP205, high pinion D60 front and smooth bottom D60 rear, e-lockers front & rear. SOA with 35X12.50's
Cobra Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #33
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I bought both types of mirrors last Friday and the bigger display one will not fit correctly on my LJ. The way the mount is it will not fit the straight up window. But, the single display has enough adjustment to fit. Oh yeah, Some TJ's and LJ's have the existing wiring needed under the defroster, cowl plastic cover on the dash. There is another write-up on here that addresses it.
Unread 01-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #34
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinDC View Post
What line did you guys tap into for the power source? Normally I would tap into the cig lighter but I've been having problems with that, lots of blown fuses. Any other lines for 12v power source?
I used the radio hot wire

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #35
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You should be able to use a multimeter to find a source at the fuse panel that always has power to it.
Unread 01-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #36
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here is another write-up: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/co...o-pics-952705/
Unread 01-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #37
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhohthe50

You should be able to use a multimeter to find a source at the fuse panel that always has power to it.
Thanks. How do you use a multimeter to check that?
Unread 01-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #38
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks. How do you use a multimeter to check that?
With a multimeter (in DC mode) touch the black wire to a ground (any bare meter on the jeep) and then touch the red wire on one of the open slots on the fuse panel. If you have volts in the slot then you have power. Some of the slots only get power to them with the key on so make sure you have your key off to find a spot that always has power running to it for the mirror.

Or you could find a source using just a test light using the same method. If the light lights up, then there is power in that slot.

I recommend still running an inline fuse somewhere the circuit.
Unread 01-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #39
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhohthe50 View Post
...make sure you have your key off to find a spot that always has power running to it for the mirror.
BAD IDEA.

Make sure you power it with a switched source. Otherwise you will have a constant drain on your battery. It's a tiny one, but will drain your battery if you let your Jeep sit for long enough.
”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 05:45 AM   #40
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
BAD IDEA.

Make sure you power it with a switched source. Otherwise you will have a constant drain on your battery. It's a tiny one, but will drain your battery if you let your Jeep sit for long enough.
Correction, it sounds like you will want to run it off a switched source as Awesome indicated. I was thinking it would need constant power to stay calibrated, but it sounds like the OP ran it off of a switched source and it works just fine. With that being said, you can find a power source using the same method, and just make sure the power comes on and off with the key.
Unread 01-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #41
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhohthe50 View Post
Correction, it sounds like you will want to run it off a switched source as Awesome indicated. I was thinking it would need constant power to stay calibrated, but it sounds like the OP ran it off of a switched source and it works just fine. With that being said, you can find a power source using the same method, and just make sure the power comes on and off with the key.
Why would the compass move (on most vehicles) when the key is turned off? No calibration is necessary, and I would bet that they are not powered from a constant source in the stock configuration.
”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Unread 01-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #42
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, you want a switched power supply. That's how they are in the vehicles they come in from the factory.

Unlimitedlou, the one I show in my pictures fits the vertical windshield of my YJ just fine. I'm thinking you must have a different model than what I got. What did yours come out of?

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
Future mods: NV4500, NP205, high pinion D60 front and smooth bottom D60 rear, e-lockers front & rear. SOA with 35X12.50's
Cobra Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #43
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Jeep View Post
Yes, you want a switched power supply. That's how they are in the vehicles they come in from the factory.

Unlimitedlou, the one I show in my pictures fits the vertical windshield of my YJ just fine. I'm thinking you must have a different model than what I got. What did yours come out of?
2003 Saturn Vue
Unread 01-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #44
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Great! F-Ing cracked my windshield!!! Nice warm day, heated the entire windshield up. The button came off. I was trying the get the red of the glue off and *CrAcK!!*. Now I have to look for another windshield.
Unread 01-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #45
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That's why I'll have a glass shop replace my button for me. Too easy to break that stupid flat windshield.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.