Auto dimming rearview mirror with compass and temperature install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Auto dimming rearview mirror with compass and temperature install

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Auto dimming rearview mirror with compass and temperature install

Since we all love cool junkyard swaps, here is one I have recently done and really like.
Many late model GM vehicles have auto dimming rear view mirrors with built in compass and temerature displays. What I found neat about these, are they are "self contained" units. Meaning they are not controlled by the vehicle they are installed in. They only need power, ground, and a temperature sensor to work.
Now there are several different models out there. Some older (late 90's) may have auto dim and compass only, others will have compas and temp. Just look at the buttons on the mirror. If one says mirror and the other says comp, then its compass and auto dim only. If it says comp and temp, then it has both. Some of the older (late 90's) will have a small rectangle window for the display, and will only display temp or compass, not both at the same time, while many newer ones will have a larger square display and read both at the same time.
There are also some later model ones with onstar buttons, you dont really want one of those. Some may also have a display for passenger airbag. So might not want one of those. Just look in all the different vehicles in your junkyards and see what has what. Make sure you get the temperature sensor from the grill of the same vehicle you get the mirror from.

I installed a older single display (will only display comp or temp, not both at the same time) in my 79 cherokee. It fit the stock jeep mirror mounting tab. Ran the wires, mounted the temp probe in the grill and its good to go. This specific one I pulled from a 99 chevy suburban.

Now for my YJ I scored a newer one with the larger display that will read both temp and compass at the same time. This specific one I pulled from a 03 saturn vue. I also got the mounting tab off the glass. The windshield in the vue was already cracked from the wreck, so I just used a stiff putty knife to remove the tab from the glass. It knocked out a chunk of glass with it. I used a heat gun once I got home and removed the glass and glue from the tab.
Mirror and temp probe:

Some google searching got the pinout for the wires. Yellow is power, black is ground, and the green/blk and grey wires go to the temp probe. Any other wires can be removed. I only had 1 that I removed.
So now to get the jeep mounting tab off the glass without breaking my windshield. I took a heat gun and worked it over the windshield to heat it up and kept it warm and then heated up the tab and used a thin razer blade and it poped right on off. Cleaned the glass and tab, and glued on the tab for the new mirror.
Now to wire it up. The wires are real small as the mirror draws very little power. I actually used some 18 ga speaker wire and even it was larger than the mirror wires. I ran two down the right side, and the other two down the left side. I ran the wires under the rubber moulding around the glass and down the sides of the dash. You can see the wires on the side, but it doesnt bother me. Hooked up the ground, and the power to a switched 12v source.
Now for the temp probe. Its a funky little thing, made to snap into a 7/16 hole. So I used a peice of thin scrap metal I had and made a bracket for it. I used a 7/16 washer to take up the extra room, as it was ment to snap into a thick peice of plastic.
I ended up deciding to mount it in the drivers fenderwell, I started to mount it in the grill, but it can pick up on heat from the radiator if not moving fast. Also in the fenderwell it mostly shaded from direct sunlight so maybey it will get a better temp reading. I just used one of the fender to grill bolts. Should still have plenty of air flow and the sensor and connector are both waterproof, so no worries about rain.

All hooked up and working. Ignore the "cal" It just needed to be driven in a circle a few times to calibrate the compass. I took the pic before I drove it.

Hope everyone enjoyed the mini writeup. Any questions I will try and answer them.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
Future mods: NV4500, NP205, high pinion D60 front and smooth bottom D60 rear, e-lockers front & rear. SOA with 35X12.50's
Cobra Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Great write up. I am doing this!
Unread 01-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looks nice! I thought about a junkyard rear view mirror until I saw the ones used for backup camera monitors and decided I needed one for a "rock cam".
Unread 01-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
amc75matador
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Jeep View Post
Hope everyone enjoyed the mini writeup. Any questions I will try and answer them.
This post is awesome! thank you
Unread 01-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

2 thumbs up here.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Had to make a couple stops after work today and didn't get home until after dark. The auto dim works great! Also when I went out to it this morning it was cold, 27* to be exact, and where the temp is displayed would alternate between the temp and ICE. Guess its trying to warm me there might be ice out there...lol
Really liking this upgrade. If anyone wants to look them up online, they are made by gentex. If you don't have any luck finding one at your local junkyard they are all over ebay, but can be kinda pricey. Just search gentex mirror and you will find a crapload of them.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
Future mods: NV4500, NP205, high pinion D60 front and smooth bottom D60 rear, e-lockers front & rear. SOA with 35X12.50's
Unread 01-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

very cool, me want!

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
MukYJ
Pronounced "Mucky J"

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice, I might pick one of those up next time I'm at the pull-a-part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
He's right, as soon as you remove the trackbar the fuel rail will arc on the battery, killing you and all the kittens in a ten mile radius.
MukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

found one on fleabay, tested with sensor and wiring instructions, 45.00 shipped. thanks again for the idea.

Unread 01-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

double post.

Unread 01-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #11
deathtrap
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hay cobra you been lookin over my back fence? I just did this exact thing yesterday. fun project, I got less then $15.00 in mine.
deathtrap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #12
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Nice project. I am getting one for the YJ and one for my car too.. Hey Cobra, how about a close up on the temp sensor so I know what to look for. Are they all typically located somewhere in front of the rad behind the grill? I would think the GM ones would look pretty much the same, what did you see when searching the JY? Thanks for the tip on the Vue. I understand S10 Blazers are also good donors.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #13
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nice write up. I do not understand why all vehicles do not have a compass. How many times have we all found out that we are going the wrong way and for the only reason that we do not have a compass in our vehicle?

Happened to me again last week. When you drive in unfamiliar areas a compass is invaluable!
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
50rck
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I tried this with a late 90's Buick mirror to my YJ. It didn't work. I did some research into the VIN on that Buick and it needed the computer to work. The Saturn worked for you and makes me want to try it again.

2006 Jeep Liberty. Nothing special, all stock.
50rck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #15
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90DesertTanYJ View Post
how about a close up on the temp sensor so I know what to look for. Are they all typically located somewhere in front of the rad behind the grill? I would think the GM ones would look pretty much the same, what did you see when searching the JY?
Actually the temp probe looks different depending on year model I think. The one I installed in my cherokee has a very different looking temp probe from the one I installed in my YJ. Most are just somewhere behind the grille usally tward the center. Make and model will dictate their exact locations and style. So just make sure you get the sensor from whatever you pull the mirror from.
You can see the temp probe setting next to the mirror in the 2nd pic (where its setting on my workbench) Its grey and has a green/blue connector.

Doing some more looking around online, it looks like most of the chevy ones have a higher chance of having the onstar button and the passenger airbag warning on it. While pretty much all saturn vue ones I saw had temp/compass/auto dim only. I searched eabay and they are pretty easy to find on there for not too much if you can not find one local.

Another thing I like about this mirror is that it is wider than the stock YJ mirror, so you get a much wider and better view of whats behind you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.