aussie locker question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > aussie locker question

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 12-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
plyguitar45
1991 YJ Wrangler 

aussie locker question

ok i was looking at the aussie locker and had a few questions.
i did a search and couldn't really find anything.
sorry if i missed something.

but i was looking at buying an Aussie Locker for my front axle and it says on their site that if i have a limited slip/posi carrier than i will have to replace it with an open carrier.
so what do i have? everything is pretty much stock in this area.

also, just to clarify, having this locker means that whenever i engage 4wd, then the locker will be engaged?

thanks!

-SOLD MY JEEP :(-
2.5L Red '91 YJ w/ 2.5" RC lift, 2" BL, 31" MT Baja Claws, Superwinch LP8500, RH4x4 Front Bumper, JKS Quick Disco's, Rampage Nerf Bars
plyguitar45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You already have an open diff unless the previous owner put a limited slip in there. The locker will be engage itself when it needs to, that's why it's a non selectable locker. But if you're not in 4wd then the front drive shaft isn't spinning so it's not going to be doing anything (to my knowledge, someone correct me if im wrong)

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyguitar45 View Post
so what do i have? everything is pretty much stock in this area.
Youre Dana 30 is open if its stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyguitar45 View Post
also, just to clarify, having this locker means that whenever i engage 4wd, then the locker will be engaged?
Correct, when torque is applied it will lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
plyguitar45
1991 YJ Wrangler 

ok thanks.
also, it says it doesn't work for "Dana 30a or Next Generation Differentials"

i'm pretty sure i don't have one of those, correct?

-SOLD MY JEEP :(-
2.5L Red '91 YJ w/ 2.5" RC lift, 2" BL, 31" MT Baja Claws, Superwinch LP8500, RH4x4 Front Bumper, JKS Quick Disco's, Rampage Nerf Bars
plyguitar45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
95greenrio
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure the Dana 30a is the ifs version. Either way, the one they have listed on their site will work in your Jeep.
Unread 12-09-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just installed an Aussie in my D30. It should be invisible when you are in 2WD. The locker will cause your front driveshaft to spin all the time (like a TJ). Unlike a TJ, the YJ front DS is not balanced from the factory. You might get some slight vibes. No biggie. It happened to me. I'm dropping off my DS to get balanced soon enough.

Once you put the locker together, you'll really understand how it works. I'll give it a shot, though:

The locker is always 'locked' under normal circumstances. When you aren't applying tons of torque to the axle, the gears in the locker are kept together only with the force of four small springs. When you go around a corner, the force of the springs is easy to overcome and one wheel is allowed to go faster. When you jam on the gas (or when one wheel slips) the gears in the locker try to rotate past the pinion shaft (cross shaft), but they can't and instead the gears engage engage really hard, thus locking the axle.

Since the passenger axle disconnects when you are in 2WD, the locker won't interfere whatsoever with your normal driving. You'll only notice amazing traction in 4wd.

It probably took me longer than most to install mine--I fixed some other front-end problems along the way. I could probably do it in 2 hours a second time around. Take your time and keep everything clean.

Do it, you'll be happy.
Unread 12-10-2008, 12:23 AM   #7
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

^^What he said is correct. The front drive shaft will spin all the time.
If you flat tow your Jeep, the drive shafts are connected together inside the transfer case in 4wd AND neutral, but not in 2wd. So if you put the t case in neutral, it will cause the Jeep to tow funny, and cause problems.
Solution(s):
1. disconnect the front drive shaft at the D30 yoke and tie it up
2. engage the right half of the axle if you are going short distance and you have an automatic transmission. It will scuff the tires a bit tho'.
3. leave the t case in 2wd, place the transmission in neutral only on a stick shift trans.
4. put it on a trailer.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #8
Bigdogk9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

What if the passenger two piece axle has been replaced with a one piece and the air actuator removed. What problems will one see with the Aussie locker?
Bigdogk9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2009, 08:43 AM   #9
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

In that case you will probably only hear clicking noises when turning, with the window or top down, going slow. Otherwise, not much difference. It will put more 'wear' on it I guess, but no more than what a rear locker does. Shouldn't make or break the decision to do it though.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2009, 08:45 AM   #10
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdogk9 View Post
What if the passenger two piece axle has been replaced with a one piece and the air actuator removed. What problems will one see with the Aussie locker?
I know plenty of TJ guys run an Aussie up front (no axle disco). A friend of mine runs front and rear lunchbox lockers in his XJ. I've heard stories of wheels locking up funny on icy highways, but I can't really speak from experience. I would assume that under normal circumstances, the side gears will be allowed to ratchet during corners because in 2WD there is no load on the front driveshaft.

I'm sure if you lurk in the TJ forum for a few minutes you'll get a better answer.
Unread 05-13-2009, 09:17 AM   #11
Bigdogk9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to proceed with the install. When I replaced the axle I had my front drive shaft balanced to stop some minor vibration.
Bigdogk9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2009, 10:47 AM   #12
Beater37887
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdogk9 View Post
I just replaced my front axle with a one piece and at the same time installed an Aussie. I have had no problems driving it on the highway and don't even notice its there. You will however notice a great difference in traction on the trails, best upgrade I've done. You will also hear it popping on the trail from time to time, once you get used to it that's no big deal, its not loud. I didn't have any problems with the balance on my front ds so I didn't bother getting it balanced, couldn't feel any more vibration than before because of the the tires. Install was really easy and just a matter of keeping everything clean. Good luck and enjoy!
Beater37887 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2009, 11:05 AM   #13
lclark2074
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You already have an open diff unless the previous owner put a limited slip in there. The locker will be engage itself when it needs to, that's why it's a non selectable locker. But if you're not in 4wd then the front drive shaft isn't spinning so it's not going to be doing anything (to my knowledge, someone correct me if im wrong)
On a 30 the driveshaft will turn all the time in 2WD or 4WD becuse there is know wheel disconect on the driver side
lclark2074 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2009, 11:35 AM   #14
fyrdriver
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclark2074 View Post
On a 30 the driveshaft will turn all the time in 2WD or 4WD becuse there is know wheel disconect on the driver side
Not true, the carrier spins in the diff and with the axle disconnect there is no resistance from the pass side. I know this because I too had to balance my driveshaft after getting my aussie.

http://groups.jeepforum.com/Firefighters_Jeep_Club
fyrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2009, 12:25 PM   #15
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclark2074 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrdriver View Post
Not true, the carrier spins in the diff and with the axle disconnect there is no resistance from the pass side. I know this because I too had to balance my driveshaft after getting my aussie.
True, this is actually the reason behind the stock disconnect system on the passenger side.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.