August '15 YJ of the Month Contest, Day late $dollar$ short - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > August '15 YJ of the Month Contest, Day late $dollar$ short

JKS Flex Connect in Actions!CCOR is Hiring! Athens, GA!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

View Poll Results: yjotm
cwein23 3 8.57%
skyj 11 31.43%
cKruzer 0 0%
Jmart2119 14 40.00%
Awesome 1 2.86%
Luuca 6 17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 08-29-2015, 08:30 AM   #1
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

August '15 YJ of the Month Contest, Day late $dollar$ short

Alright boys and girls here we go. Time to vote for August yjotm.
Big thanks to Metalcloak for supplying a giftcard to the winner of this contest!

Please read these few short rules:

Quote:
All nonsupporting members must post when you vote or it will not be counted. Paid members do not have to post when voting.

No soliciting votes from within JF or outside JF

No promotion within this thread will be permitted via more pictures or descriptions. We have PMs please use them

All voters will remain public as to promote self moderation

Self votes will not be allowed. We are jeepers and we help each other out. Don't be selfish or you'll see where it gets you. That means: if you own the jeep, don't vote for it.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________________
cwein23

Hey everyone, my names Colin, Im 17 and this is my submission:

1993 2.5L Wrangler

Rebuilt 2.5L from a 97 TJ (some headwork done), rebuilt AX5, stock t-case with no skid drop, 3 row alum. radiator, TJ flares and steel rocker guards with tube steps.
33x12.5 Falkens, cut down factory bumper, bastard pack, 1" lift shackles and 2" BL.
Luxurious carpet interior with 10" sub, aftermarket dash speakers, wedge speakers for the rear, and custom seats front and rear, a full soft top thats being worked on right now, and even aftermarket AC!
8.8 with factory 4.10s and LSD in my backyard waiting for a good weekend and welder to help me throw it in.

I grew up around Jeeps. My dad always had one and took me out in it with my brothers.. We had quads and rails, two TJs, an XJ and a YJ throughout my childhood. About 8 years ago my dad bought what is now my YJ. He daily-ed it for a while, but it was sitting for around 2 years.
Thats where I came in. Around my 16th birthday, I was working, saving up and wanting a car. I especially wanted his Jeep, and he wanted 3 grand.
I paid him and thus I got my Jeep, not knowing anything about the mechanics, function or even how to drive stick.

Heres a screenshot of my dad threatening to sell it back when I was 15

Heres how she stands now, named Alyss after a character in a book I had a crush on when I first started reading bigger books. It was a cool book

From day one to now, Ive done all the work (except the transmission rebuild) myself with the kind help of Ashland. I knew nothing about cars before, and, although my dad has helped, a lot of the stuff I have done has exceeded his knowledge and without f12 I wouldve sold the Jeep many months ago.
Its given me enough knowledge that I performed a clutch job on my brothers 07 Honda Accord at home at only 17 years old

Heres the best action shot Ive got, and its not much but Im really happy with how shes doing. Hopefully she grows as much as she did this past year in this coming one.

And heres a lake shot with my jeep, Ash's jeep and my buddies (he just got his a little while ago with my help )

And thats me getting my top set up (I was getting fried without it on)
Thanks to all in f12 who has helped me figure out everything from a bad fuse connection to how to do my first clutch job...
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________
skyj

1990 Wrangler
Engine bay:
MPI Magnum 5.2 V8
AX15 transmission/Dakota bellhousing.
NP231 with Advanced adapters SYE
E-350 Brake Master cylinder

Suspension:
Junkyard Bastard pack saggy Grand Wagoneer/XJ springs for 2" of lift and 4" stretch
1" boom shackles
Cut down 2" body lift to 1.25"

Front axle:
Dana 30 4.56 gears (open)
Lengthened front CV driveshaft out of XJ
XJ solid shafts
BTF crossover steering bracket with Ruffstuff 3/4" heim steering.

Rear axle:
Ford 8.8 4.56 gears (detroit Locker)
XJ CV shaft cut and balanced

Tires and wheels:
35x12.5x15 Pro Comp Xterrains grooved for better traction on snow and ice mounted on15x10 American Racing aluminum wheels

33x12.5x15 BF Goodrich All-terrain TA my street tires mounted on 15x10 Ultras

Modified stock poly gas tank to accomodate a rear 3-4" stretch (aka dimple mod). Custom sunken front winch bumper, Warn 5687 winch, rear homemade 2x4 3/16" steel bumper with swing away tire carrier, fiberglass front flat fenders. stand-alone radiator support, CJ front clip.

Interior:
Custom .50 cal/grenade ammo can center console with cup holders , pineapple grenade shifters, Grant Steering wheel, Front seats are out of 99 TJ, rear seat is a middle row leather seat out of '07 suburban. Hybrid TJ/YJ cage.

Future Mods:
Full rear corner armor
Front/Rear tube fenders

I bought this jeep a little over 6 years ago and I have been slowly adding to it as time and money allow. I built this jeep to handle anything Montana terrain can throw at it and the occasional trip to Moab. When I was in high school my dad and I built a CJ5 from the ground up it was a great bonding experience for my Father and I. Now I have this jeep to build up with my three son's.
Almost every single bolt or piece of equipment has been rebuilt or assembled by me with help from my boys. From welding the custom bumpers, to the suspension, to the 5.2 swap we've done it all.
We built a sunken winch front bumper to get the winch lower and allow more air flow through the cj clip. I also installed a middle row leather seat out of a '07 suburban for a new back seat. Im also working on getting matching leather front bench seat. Now my kids can comfortably ride with me on those long trail rides.
This is why I Love the YJ its such a great platform for you to build your perfect jeep.
Just got done building some rock sliders out of some 1/4" angle iron with tube steps. I fabbed up my own tube bender just so I could make them.
I know some of you are going to scoff and mock the cj clip, what can I say? I Love it! I have incorporated so many parts from various other jeeps into this build my jeep represents what every YJ owner should appreciate a truly home built rig.
I know this jeep inside and out and enjoy working on it. check out my build thread for more info. Right now in the process of building a full custom roll cage with the tubing bender I built, check out my build thread.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...build-1467426/

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________________________________
cKurzer

Jeep: 1987 YJ Wrangler Canadian
Specs: 4cycl Wrangler w/ a AMC 258 swap from a CJ7. Still currently using the Pujo BA/10 (get what use I can, jeep not DD). Running the stock np207 transfer case. Stock Dana 30 front and Stock 35 in the rear. I did the PermaLok mod on the front to delete the vacuum actuator (not the cable kind, permanent lock). Also tossed on a temporary RC 2.5" lift kit with 1" RR boomerang shackles. Gave me a total of 25" of lift on 31x10x15 tires. I have settled half an inch so far. Quite a few changes, like hardtop to SmittyB softtop, and full doors to half doors from a 94 wrangler. Replaced the radiator, valve cover, removed emissions, swapped in a durango steering box, new corbeau moab seats. new windshield brackets.

Story: This jeep is a heep. Not a lot of rust for a canadian model, but just enough in the right places to warrant a rolling of the eyes. Ex military jet mechanic turned lawyer/business owner. This is my opportunity to tinker while I acquire parts and plan a jeep build for the Church youth group. Dont want to get too carried away with mods and changes, as i want reserve excessive labor and funds for the bigger build.

Unread 08-29-2015, 08:32 AM   #2
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Jmart2119

"Black Beauty(BB)"
89 YJ Wrangler “Previously Bone Stock”
Owned it since I was 16
Daily Driver/Weekend Wheeler
Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...9/index27.html

Drivetrain:
2.5L mostly unmolested with Brown Dog Rubber 1” MML
AX5 with external slave conversion, Tummy Tucked, Homebrew Custom Crossmember
Homebrew freshly rebuilt NP231 w/Advance Adapters SYE, Tummy Tucked
Front Tattons DC Driveshaft, Rear DC driveshaft
Dirty 30 w/5.13 gears, Spartan Locker, XJ axle shafts w/760x ujoints stretched forward 1.25"
8.8 LSD w/5.13 gears and Solid Cover stretched back 1"
35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/R’s with Kevlar on 15x8 Eagle Alloys

Suspension/Steering:
Fabtech 3.5" springs
1” Lift boom shackles
1” Daystar Body Lift
Ashland’s 12” Shocks
M.O.R.E rear shock extensions
Durango Steering box
Track+sway delete

Exterior:
Barnes Flat skid plate
Homebrew 1" Gas tank lift
Dirtworx rear bumper tire carrier
Smitty Stinger
E-Auto Rock Sliders
Rear TJ Flares
Hard Top
Soft Top
Bikini and Duster
Full doors and Half doors

Lighting:
LED pods on the windshield
LED Rock lights
LED gauge lights
LED Interior lighting

Recovery Stuff:
Smitty recovery kit, Full set of tools
3/4 d-rings, first aid, etc.

Other stuff I have done:
15 gallon steel tank to 20 gallon poly tank conversion
Sport to Family roll cage conversion
TJ downpipe conversion
Anti-theft Kill Switch
Homebrew Accessory switch panel
Sentinal02 designed defroster directional shields
Dash painted black
Black Bestop Trailmax II seats
Tuffy center console
Bedlined Tub
10" Sub and amp in the back
Bestop full trunk
Im sure I am missing others

Future upgrades:
York On Board Air(7/8 completed)
BTF Crossover Bracket with Ruffstuff 3/4 Heim Steering(on order)
Winch
Cloaks
ARB rear locker
5.3 swap

I bought this Jeep when I was 16 and it has been my DD every day, now I am 29. I always wanted to lift it and have a really cool jeep but I never had the funds. I was fortunate to get a new job and I started my build just 11 months ago. Without f12 I would have never been able to build this Jeep. I knew nothing about vehicles, struggling to do an oil change and I have learned so much from this forum and Its members. I have been fortunate enough to make some good friends from f12.

But the best thing about my jeep is that it has repaired my relationship with my Dad. Throughout college I rarely spoke to him(I was young and dumb). But since I started my build we have become very close and now we speak almost daily about the jeep and other things in life. I have done all the work myself with him assisting, when he has rare time, in a dirt/rock driveway and 5x3 slab of concrete and a sidewalk. I always look forward to working on the jeep with my Dad and the time I get to spend with him.

I drove this thing all the way out to Moab and it was a blast and I am usually up wheeling it every weekend during the season.

Iron Clads:

f12 Moab Trip:

Middle St. Vrain:

How she sits today:

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________
Awesome

Hi, I'm Awesome, and my YJ was built in 1994, but is the 1995 model year.

My Jeep has an inline six-cylinder 4.0HO, AX-15, modified D30 front, F8.8 rear, 4:10 gears, 31" Duratracs, York OBA with truck horns, home-made insta-trunk, and a 2" lift of unknown origin and suspect quality.

I have modified my Jeep a lot over the years, making it mine. My dad bought a TJ Rubicon sometime in 2006, and really loved driving it around town. He knew I was looking for a new vehicle, and I wanted a pickup truck. My dad finally convinced me to buy a Jeep by offering to pay for half of it, knowing I couldn't afford the steep price that Wranglers command. I looked for several months, and was ready to take a four-day trip out of state to look at the only Jeep I could find that met my standards. A couple of days before we were due to leave, my parents told me they found my Jeep a couple of hours away.

When I bought it, it was nearly bone stock. It had worn out 31" BGF A/Ts, and the 2" lift.

I've never had much money, so my upgrades were small and far between. I bought a rear tire carrier, better tires, and eventually got a full-size spare, winch, front bumper, and built a York OBA system. I removed the track bars and sway bar.

Recently, I set out to upgrade some things on the Jeep that needed to be rebuilt. I replaced the rear axle with a disk brake 8.8 in a single day, converted to 1-ton crossover steering with Grand Cherokee knuckles and brakes, and regeared the front axle myself. I don't have a build thread, but my most major upgrade is posted here.

While my Jeep isn't the biggest and best, it's a great daily driver (its primary use), and still does amazingly well off-road. It is still a work-in-progress, and I have more plans for future modifications.
The snow picture is how it sat flexed-out several years ago, before my recent modifications.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________
Luuca

YJ year of production: 1991

Specifications and Modifications

Drivetrain

Engine: 2.5l I4 – Complete Rebuild – new injectors – all sensors
Transmission: AX5 – Rebuilt – new seals, syncros, oil, new clutch and throw-out bearing
Transfer Case: NP231 – Fresh Fluid – 100% operational
Axle – Front: D30 – 4.10 gears – No Locker
Axle - Rear: D35 – 4.10 gears – No Locker

Miscellaneous

• New radiator (2011)
• New upper and lower hoses (2011)
• New Water Pump & Thermostat (195⁰) (2011)
• New Mechanical Fan Clutch (2011)
• New Alternator (2011)
• New Power Steering Pump (2011)
• Fresh Differential Oil front and rear
• New Rotors/Drums Pads/Shoes front and rear
• New E-Brake (factory recall completed in 2012)
• New Fuel Pump – Fuel Filter – Fuel Pressure Regulator (2011)
• New Evap Canister and Hoses (2012 – to pass CA SMOG)

Suspension

• Stock Leaf Springs
• Removed Track Bars front and rear
• Rubicon Express Sway Bar Quick Disconnects (2012)

Tires & Wheels

• Stock TJ Ravine Rims (15x8) including spare
• Goodyear Wrangler AT 235/75/15 (29.5” approx.)

Interior

• Interior color converted from Gray to Black – painted dash pieces etc.
• Stock Roll Bar painted Satin Black – no pad (yet)
• Smittybuilt Neoprene seat covers front and rear – Black
• New seat belts – front and rear
• Carpet removed - Monstaliner installed – Black
• Rebuilt Heater box – new core, hoses, and HO Fan motor
• Rebuilt Factory Center Console – Painted black – recovered the arm rest with Black Neoprene to match seats

Exterior

• Fresh Solar Yellow Paint (2012)
• Half-doors with Soft Uppers
• Full Rugged Ridge Soft Top
• Smittybuilt Bikini Top
• Smittybuilt Rear bumper
• Tuff Stuff Front Bumper
• Tuff Stuff 9500lb winch
• Homebrew Rocksliders
• TJ Fender Flares
• Super Cool ROTC Stickers

Other Mods

• 20 Gallon Fuel Tank Mod

Brief History of Our Jeep

Bought the Jeep as a Father & Daughter project in 2010 for $600. It had been wrecked by the PO and had sat out in the CA desert for at least 2 years. Missing a lot of stuff, needing a lot of TLC, we set out together to build the most reliable, safe, and fun Jeep we could afford. Our original budget was $3,400 but we have spent roughly $5800 on her. My Daughter learned a lot about working on her Jeep, and our relationship is much better now than it was before we started the project. My daughter named her Jeep Alice, after the rough and tumble main character of the Resident Evil film series. I got out of the service in 1990 and almost bought a Solar Yellow 1991 Jeep Wrangler. I guess some things are just meant to be.

We have kept Alice pretty much stock. My belief is that you only change or modify a vehicle based upon need. So far, the trails and obstacles we have faced in Alice have been manageable with some well-chosen lines and airing down. The most recent mod was the addition of the RE Sway Bar Quick Disconnects due to our experiences on some more difficult terrain. If and when we find ourselves needing a lift kit, or blow up our D35, we know where to go for help getting it set up correctly.

My daughter has stated she will NEVER sell Alice. I believe her.

What we started with:

Once Done - Our first wheeling trip with my daughter driving:

The "Action Shot" from her first obstacle - Cleghorn Powerline Hill:

Unread 08-29-2015, 08:35 AM   #3
calisk8er1080
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Voted Jmart. Diggin that orange on black!
Unread 08-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #4
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

nice jeeps.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #5
AZdEvilYJ
RIP Anticanman

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I like the line up this month!! A lot of mod-stock jeeps. I'll have to think about this one

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2015, 09:45 AM   #6
DShack13

First Time Voter

Hey all,
Some impressive rides on here. Hope to be more active in the future.

SHACK
DShack13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #7
Hoxie

1987 YJ Wrangler 

In!
Unread 08-29-2015, 10:50 AM   #8
xjrjrx

Voted another great line-up
xjrjrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2015, 11:26 AM   #9
Luuca
Typical /F12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice rigs - Hard to beat Sky's rig, but went with J. Hard choices

Luck Favours The Prepared
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2015, 01:32 PM   #10
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Voted, good lineup.
Unread 08-29-2015, 01:39 PM   #11
bruinjeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Really cool line-up. Voted for J - his story choked me up a bit
Unread 08-29-2015, 06:58 PM   #12
Dake
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Voted
Unread 08-29-2015, 07:57 PM   #13
TSEJEEPERS
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Goob for doing this!
Unread 08-29-2015, 09:04 PM   #14
bobracing
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Must be the 4cyl month.
Voted
Unread 08-29-2015, 09:36 PM   #15
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

This was pretty hard for me to pick, I had to go with skyj, there is some serious grit in that rig and the guy behind the wheel. Jake was a close 2nd, especially how fast you built that thing along, even since we were in moab a few months ago. Excited to see how this turns out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.