Audio thoughts... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Audio thoughts...

Halloween Savings to die for!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-17-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Audio thoughts...

Hey guy, what is the best way for me to do this. If everything goes as I hope, I will be using my Jeep for a daily 13 mile drive and loosing my company car. I will be installing my Sirius radio (add on style) to the Jeep mounted in the center console. Down the road I plan to switch to a CJ7 style dash and remove the radio altogether. I never use the AM/FM and CD's are getting dated now, plus I love my Sirius! What I want to do is to run an amp that will give me decent sound from a pair of dash speakers, and have a remote volume on, or mounted under the dash.

If I can get just enough to hear the radio at about 40mph while the top, doors, and windshield are all off and folded, I am good. There seems to be many in the motorcycle range, but I am not sure if the amps are decent enough for a Jeep. Some of those have waterproof remote controls that would be a big plus. But the small amp size has me thinking they are kinda weak.

Another option seems to be this RCA level input control. It would seem to work perfect with the 1/8" to RCA output from the Sirius player, and into a decent car amp. What do you think about this?
http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=8951

Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

That is a really good idea. I have no experience with amps but I have a cheap dual stereo(no cd player. Just aux, usb, and sd card slot) that works well with my two polk dash speakers without the top and doors. Personally I am going to get another pair and maybe install them on the fender wells or something else as I don't want to put to much stress on just the front two. So i'd suggest looking into that as well.
Michaelgoesrawr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

my pioneer works fine with the factory speakers on the highway when i turn it up. thats bikini top and no doors at 65-70mph
Unread 07-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I really have no problems with the Sony in there now, but all I use is the CD's because there is little to no selection here. Combine that with the bliss that is Satellite Radio, and I will never use the radio other than a pass through to the speakers. With a well placed amp, I can keep it water tight and hidden somewhere. I plan to either build a "tuffy-like" box, or buy the real one so that the satellite radio is well protected and water-tight. I would like to use the amp to give it a little more sound because I do drive most all summer with the windshield folded.

Right now, I drive all day long and in the last 20k miles since I got the Satellite radio, I have NEVER even used the AM/FM and only a couple times the CD. (Only because it play's MP3's) So I will not miss the real radio a bit.

When I convert over to the CJ dash, I am still debating if I will retain the YJ heater controls and place them in the radio hole, of try to rig them up with the CJ ones. Either way, I just want to use the Sirius radio (or MP3 player like an i-pod) as the main audio input. I just need to figure out the best way to control the audio off the dash or other easy to reach and use spot.
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I think a cool place to mount that would be on your seat. So you can adjust the volume without really moving.
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You can mount the amplifier under the drivers seat and just have a 3.5mm to RCA cable connecting the mp3 player or sirius radio to the amp which powers the speakers. There was a big thread on this not too long ago about deleting the head unit from the equation.
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok I found one. Maybe it was just over a year ago.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...e-box-1064415/
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #8
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for digging up that thread, I will go look through it.

The problem with leaving it out, other than the theft angle, is that my Jeep stays topless all spring, summer, and fall. (Although, I may have to buy more of a soft top if I drive it daily. The chance that rain will get in the jeep is pretty high. (another reason to loose the dash radio in fact) On top of that, it is very hard to adjust the volume on my satellite head unit. You have to go into the settings to do this, and that is really not an option in the Jeep.
Unread 07-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Depending on your amp setup, there are gain adjusting knobs that you can add to adjust the volume via your ergonomic choice in mounting options. It may work for you, it may not. You bring up a good point, not having a head unit means there isn't one to steal. The PO of my jeep zipped the amp down under the drivers seat and stripped the self rappers in the process. If you're worried about it getting wet, mount it to the underside of the cushion out of sight and out of the way of puddling water.
Unread 08-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
dervilfal
2002 TJ Wrangler 

My better half mounted mine under the steering column, it's completely hidden and protected from the rain. I believe he bought the mount (made for our amp's specific size) from someone on this forum.
dervilfal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #11
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had posted this in a new post, but what I think I will go with is this unit mounted in my console with the head mounted to a shelf at the very top and angled for the best viewing. The radio is AM/FM, 1gb of on-board memory for MP3's, and it is even ready for Sirius Radio! This seems like it will be the perfect choice for me and is all waterproof too!

http://golfdiscountsuperstore.net/je...ipod-controls/

And install this waterproof remote control in the CJ style dash. This will mount through the dash in the same hole as a clock or tach. I think I will drop the clock, and use this along with the stock style tach in the dash. The remote will mount on the RT side of the column.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.