Audio System: Alternative to stereo installment? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Audio System: Alternative to stereo installment?

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 01-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
gbentley89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Audio System: Alternative to stereo installment?

My radio was stolen and I want an alternative to a radio. Is there a way to wire an iPod directly to the speakers, without having to install a radio into the dashboard?

gbentley89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #2
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have not tried this but it is similar to some systems used on atvs. You will need an amp, speakers and a iPod dock connector to RCA minisync cable. Wire the amp up and install a switch to turn it own and off. Connect the speakers to the amp. Plug the RCA cables from the iPod dock connector minisync cable and you should have music.
scubamc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
sprngrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would just mount a new radio in a hidden place, like a center console. If they cant see it, they wont bother breaking in to your Jeep. Most aftermarket decks have an aux input, so you could run an mp3 player without the deck in the dash.
sprngrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2009, 11:08 PM   #4
oompaloompasc3
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i did this on my atv and my jeep.

amp
2 speakers
red white plug to headphone jack

car charger for ipod.

works great and was easy i picked up a 39 dollar amp from pepboys and the total cost me like 65 dollars total.

i used my iphone for a while also works great.
1994 Jeep Wrangler SE 4.0 manual, AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Red Optima, Banks Chip, Banks Header, Custom Downpipe, Flowmaster 50 Series, 35x12.50.15 BFG All Terrains, Black Steel Wheels with Simulated Beadlock, 3" Rancho Suspension, 3" BL, 3/4" brandon_yj Shackles, Line-X everywhere, So much more to do....
oompaloompasc3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2009, 11:19 PM   #5
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Man do I wish I had pictures of this, you'll love it!
In my old truck I had one of those stereos with a detachable face plate. Well, I installed the stereo in the usual place. Then I took the face plate and fabbed it into the visor. I used CAT5 (ethernet) cable and soldered all the connections from the faceplate to the proper connections on the head unit. Then I rigged the little trigger on the headunit to think the faceplate was installed.
I had a 5 disc CD changer under the seat that played mp3s, so I had plenty of music at hand.
Then I made a plastic cover and put it over the face plate so it looked like no stereo was installed.

Security through obscurity!

Maybe you could do something similar.
Now I have an ipod connected to a stereo in my Jeep.
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2009, 11:27 PM   #6
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_YJ View Post
Man do I wish I had pictures of this, you'll love it!
In my old truck I had one of those stereos with a detachable face plate. Well, I installed the stereo in the usual place. Then I took the face plate and fabbed it into the visor. I used CAT5 (ethernet) cable and soldered all the connections from the faceplate to the proper connections on the head unit. Then I rigged the little trigger on the headunit to think the faceplate was installed.
I had a 5 disc CD changer under the seat that played mp3s, so I had plenty of music at hand.
Then I made a plastic cover and put it over the face plate so it looked like no stereo was installed.

Security through obscurity!

Maybe you could do something similar.
Now I have an ipod connected to a stereo in my Jeep.
Man......... you used to have a lot of time on your hands, didnt you???

Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2009, 11:42 PM   #7
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
Man......... you used to have a lot of time on your hands, didnt you???

Nice
"Used to"???
If I had more spare time on my hands at work I'd be forced to join a union!

I used to drive that truck to Detroit to work every day man. Anything not welded to the frame would be stolen. (they couldn't afford grinders )
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #8
gbentley89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

thanks all of you for the help, i've looked around online and found exactly what i needed, thanks again
gbentley89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
Alacran
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbentley89YJ View Post
thanks all of you for the help, i've looked around online and found exactly what i needed, thanks again
Could you show me what you found? I'm also looking to do this mod. Have no use for a radio or CD player.
Alacran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2009, 04:21 PM   #10
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just run a cheap *** radio, and a wireless FM receiver to my Sansa player.....works great, **** I can replace the radio for free anytime, and no one wants a RADIO anyhow, dont need a CD or nothing...put all my stuff on my sansa media player and go......

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #11
bmxer0122
1987 YJ Wrangler 

check out this month's issue of jp magazine they do a great walk through of this mod
bmxer0122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
Alacran
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxer0122 View Post
check out this month's issue of jp magazine they do a great walk through of this mod
Any place else I can look or a link to a website? I can't always get the magazines down here.
Alacran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2009, 06:47 PM   #13
bmxer0122
1987 YJ Wrangler 

unfortunatly you cant access the article on the webpage but essentially they take a amplifier and a headphones to rca conversion cable and attach the ipod via the headphone jack than the rca to the amp than the amp to the speakers. The only thing was that you had to put an on off switch to run power to the amp otherwise the amp would pull allof the energy out of ur battery and run it dead.. thats all i can recall i dont have the magazine on hand
bmxer0122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.