Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Audio System: Alternative to stereo installment?

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  bmxer0122 
#1 ·
My radio was stolen and I want an alternative to a radio. Is there a way to wire an iPod directly to the speakers, without having to install a radio into the dashboard?

#2 ·
I have not tried this but it is similar to some systems used on atvs. You will need an amp, speakers and a iPod dock connector to RCA minisync cable. Wire the amp up and install a switch to turn it own and off. Connect the speakers to the amp. Plug the RCA cables from the iPod dock connector minisync cable and you should have music.

#4 ·
i did this on my atv and my jeep.

amp
2 speakers
red white plug to headphone jack

car charger for ipod.

works great and was easy i picked up a 39 dollar amp from pepboys and the total cost me like 65 dollars total.

i used my iphone for a while also works great.

#5 ·
Man do I wish I had pictures of this, you'll love it!
In my old truck I had one of those stereos with a detachable face plate. Well, I installed the stereo in the usual place. Then I took the face plate and fabbed it into the visor. I used CAT5 (ethernet) cable and soldered all the connections from the faceplate to the proper connections on the head unit. Then I rigged the little trigger on the headunit to think the faceplate was installed.
I had a 5 disc CD changer under the seat that played mp3s, so I had plenty of music at hand.
Then I made a plastic cover and put it over the face plate so it looked like no stereo was installed.

Security through obscurity!

Maybe you could do something similar.
Now I have an ipod connected to a stereo in my Jeep.

#10 ·
I just run a cheap *** radio, and a wireless FM receiver to my Sansa player.....works great, **** I can replace the radio for free anytime, and no one wants a RADIO anyhow, dont need a CD or nothing...put all my stuff on my sansa media player and go......

#13 ·
unfortunatly you cant access the article on the webpage but essentially they take a amplifier and a headphones to rca conversion cable and attach the ipod via the headphone jack than the rca to the amp than the amp to the speakers. The only thing was that you had to put an on off switch to run power to the amp otherwise the amp would pull allof the energy out of ur battery and run it dead.. thats all i can recall i dont have the magazine on hand

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.