Audio ? - 6x9's or 6.5 woofer pod? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Audio ? - 6x9's or 6.5 woofer pod?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 06-22-2010, 05:16 AM   #1
spaceboy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Audio ? - 6x9's or 6.5 woofer pod?

Was looking into my options for the space between the wheel-well and roll bar.

I saw the 6x9 boxes and also saw speaker pods that hold a 6.5 and a tweeter.

I will eventually get the pod for over the shifter hump that holds the 6.5's but want to address this space first.

What do you guys think would sound better? I know the 6.5's wont produce much in terms of lows, but 4 combined might make an impact. Not looking to "bump down the block" just want some sound with a little complexity to it.

suggestions????

spaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2010, 07:07 AM   #2
MacGyver1138
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you have no top or a soft-top, you won't get a lot a bass from anything. Convertibles are the worst type of car for bass, hatch-backs are the best. The surface area of the speaker sizes in question seem about the same, and if the 6x9s are in the little wedge boxes, I'd say the internal volume of the pods vs. the boxes are about the same. So it comes down to speaker brand and power to run them. If you have no amp, get the speakers that have the lowest ohms (4 instead of 8), and a high sensitivity (90db+) rating.
Just make sure you get all your speakers "in phase", meaning the + positive from each output on the deck/amp goes to the + positive of each speaker. If you flip the wires on any speaker, it will result in less bass than if you didn't even connect it (well more highs, less bass). A speaker out of phase produces a waveform that is the exact opposite of the others, and will cancel the others out.

IMHO the pods look cooler than those little 6x9 boxes. Real bass in a "convertible" requires brute force (ie. subwoofers). Also if they are the pods that wrap around the roll-bar, it might make less of a target to thieves, whereas a generic 6x9 box can be stolen and put in just about anything. Truth be told though, thieves will steal just about anything, whether they can use it or not, or even need it. Case in point, they broke into my Jeep, and only stole my glove box door lock thingy.

Last edited by MacGyver1138; 06-22-2010 at 07:18 AM..
MacGyver1138 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
spaceboy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver1138 View Post
If you have no top or a soft-top, you won't get a lot a bass from anything. Convertibles are the worst type of car for bass, hatch-backs are the best. The surface area of the speaker sizes in question seem about the same, and if the 6x9s are in the little wedge boxes, I'd say the internal volume of the pods vs. the boxes are about the same. So it comes down to speaker brand and power to run them. If you have no amp, get the speakers that have the lowest ohms (4 instead of 8), and a high sensitivity (90db+) rating.
Just make sure you get all your speakers "in phase", meaning the + positive from each output on the deck/amp goes to the + positive of each speaker. If you flip the wires on any speaker, it will result in less bass than if you didn't even connect it (well more highs, less bass). A speaker out of phase produces a waveform that is the exact opposite of the others, and will cancel the others out.

IMHO the pods look cooler than those little 6x9 boxes. Real bass in a "convertible" requires brute force (ie. subwoofers). Also if they are the pods that wrap around the roll-bar, it might make less of a target to thieves, whereas a generic 6x9 box can be stolen and put in just about anything. Truth be told though, thieves will steal just about anything, whether they can use it or not, or even need it. Case in point, they broke into my Jeep, and only stole my glove box door lock thingy.
Thanks for the info... That said - I have a buddy who says round speakers will produce better sound than a 6x9 - is this truly the case?
spaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
MacGyver1138
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know, I would think that a round coil attached to the bottom of a circular cone attached to a circular surround would move smoother than a round coil attached to a oval cone and surround. In my mind it seems like it would want to buckle somewhere as it extends. But Kicker Solo-barics seem to work really well, and they are square. I don't think it matters either way with 55 mph winds swirling around them.
MacGyver1138 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver1138 View Post

This is good info, thanks man. I happen to have a nice subwoofer box but need to get some good 6x9's to go with it. I have a decent newer Kenwood and I think I will probably get some of those pioneers to go in the dash. Then once I look over my specs I want to get an amp somewhere, probably used though. Of course, this is a ways down the road, I have alot of stuff that actually matters to repair beforehand, lol. Hey, where is the resident audio expert? I thought he might chime in here?
Unread 06-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The 6x9 shape gives it a wider lower range at the expense of a little distortion. Who cares if you have a little more THD in a Jeep! I have both the Pods and the Center. I am going crazt listening to those Chipmunk dash speakers and anything that I can get in there is better. I have so many Jeep projects but the Honey Do's are killing me!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.