Auburn Ected or Eaton E locker - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Auburn Ected or Eaton E locker

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinLedlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!

Unread 05-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #31
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
I'm a farmer. Find me one for an open cab tractor.

Unread 05-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #32
YJ475
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Have you considered a Detroit? How often will you be needing a locker? I have a Detroit, and really wouldn't consider anything else--the lack of road manners is actually quite fun.
YJ475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2014, 08:50 AM   #33
JDSinton
1998 TJ Wrangler 

No comparison because you'll have to wait a year

Still on subject and the reason I'm Looking through old posts about Eaton vs Auburn is because July 12th 2014 I bought an Eaton E-Locker from a Jeep and truck fest for the Ford 8.8 in the rear of my Jeep and was told they were out of stock. No worries I ordered it anyway. I called 4 wheel parts a week ago to see when it would be in and they said they would call Eaton and let me know cool. They called right back and said they talked to Eaton and the part is back ordered. No worries because I'm a smart guy planning ahead for a family trip to Moab next year And I didn't plan to install it till thanksgiving anyway. But just to be on the safe side I called Eaton. The guy who answered was a little rude I said I ordered an E-locker and I wanted to try to get lead time. He asked the order number and I didn't have it available so I said " If I ordered a locker now when would it ship?" he asked what Diff the locker was for and I told him a Ford 8.8. He then went on to tell me the E-locker for the Ford 8.8 had production problems and they have stopped production till they get it fixed. "well when would you expect me to get the locker that I have paid for?" "it probably won't come this year" WHAT??!! Are you kidding me?? You are actively selling a product that isn't even being made right now with no reasonable expectation of when the part will ship? That's a pretty good hustle if you ask me. So I'm on here to ask Auburn ECTED or... Nothing? Because I have instore credit at the place I got it I could get the Auburn. I don't have the cash to upgrade to and OX or ARB and it's going on my daily driver so I need something selectable so my question is...

Is an Auburn Better than nothing or will it cost me more money in the long run? I want to have something in place before next year and because I got a great deal on the e-locker and the Jeep & Truck show (I now see why) The only locker I can afford is the Auburn. What do you all think?

By the way the last thing the Guy at Eaton said was "call us next year and maybe we'll have more info"
JDSinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2014, 09:04 AM   #34
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

They have been working on a fix for over a year already i beleive, maybe longer. When I was searching around to see if they had ever improved the design that was apparantly problematic, I found something, but that was a while ago (at least a year, did my 8.8.. gears, locker about march last year).

Do you have any lockers? I run an Eaton Elocker in my D30 and love it. Ford LSD in the back with the carbonfiber disc pack & S spring and it works good, my main limiting factor is probably the 33's. I understand being in Denver you're probably trying to avoid doing a lunchbox locker in the rear.

Good luck.
Unread 08-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #35
TheRealOldjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had a lunchbox (Aussie) locker in my YJ 8.8. 35" tires and no complaints. Simple, cheap and works great. The Eaton has been a pile of crap since it came out, one more year isn't going to fix it.
97 TJ 2.5L/30RH - daughters car

www.oldjeep.com My site
TheRealOldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #36
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately, the good selectable locker options for the 8.8 are pretty expensive - Ox and ARB are the best choices. I'm going ARB later this year.

It's unfortunate that the Eaton is such a POS in the 8.8, as it seems to hold up well in the Dana 30 (which is a different mechanical design).
Unread 08-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #37
JDSinton
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I don't have any lockers yet and really wanted something selectable for the rear so I can make it in Moab (plus some of the tougher trails around here) I bought a winch so I'm pretty confident that if a locker in the rear doesn't do it I can still make it on my own. My wife and I go out about once a month and since we go alone I prefer the saftey net of multiple ways out of the muck (or rocks as it may be). I paid for the locker (that I may not get this year) with a credit card and I literally live paycheck to paycheck so for me an OX or ARB is not an option I simply can't afford another 300-500 for one of those. I'm Not sure if I want to wait for a locker that may never come and I don't want anything automatic because as MrDeath2000 said it I live in Denver and most of the wheeling we do is in the higher altitudes. The ECTED seems to be the only comparable option for the E-locker and I found another thread about it where 2 people had great things to say about their ECTED lockers and everything else was "I heard from a guy..." so no real stories from real members that had real issues with the ECTED. I go out about 12 times per year and the rest of the time my Jeep is my daily driver so I'm going to put another 100,000 miles on it and probably only a thousand really rough miles so I want something that if it stops working won't damage other parts. I think after weeding through the trash I have a couple pretty good opinions so I called 4 wheel parts to see if I could change my order to the ECTED and they said it's back ordered and will have to call Auburn lol. whatever. I just want a locker.
JDSinton is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.