Auburn Ected or Eaton E locker - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Auburn Ected or Eaton E locker

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Tweaks at JeepHutJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 02-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
champelite210
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Auburn Ected or Eaton E locker

Which one is more reliable? Pros and cons. Going in the 8.8 rear.

1998 TJ, 4.0 HO, 5 speed, 3.5" RE Super Flex Adj SA lift, AA SYE, Currie steering, 4.88 Gears, 8.8 Rear with Eaton E-Locker, HP Dana 30 with Detroit locker and chromoly shafts, 36x12.5x15 TSL-SX, TNT Customs front 3.5 fenders, XRC rear crusher corners with 3.5 flare, A to Z rock sliders, PSC steering pump PSC steering Bx, XRC 8000 winch.
champelite210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Avoid the ECTED like the plague!
A buddy of mine had them professionally installed in his LJ front & rear.
They have been nothing but problems slipping and breaking. He's replaced each of them once. He's junking them as soon as he can afford it.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
ghost183
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i have an ected.. see sig... no problems.. the posi on the street took some getting used to, but now i like it..
Important Notice:... DUE TO RECENT BUDGET CUTS, STOCK MARKET PERFORMANCE, RISING COST OF ELECTRICITY, GAS AND OIL... THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL HAS BEEN TURNED OFF.... WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE............ Regards:... THE GOVERNMENT
ghost183 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
Nates93yj
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloppk View Post
Avoid the ECTED like the plague!
A buddy of mine had them professionally installed in his LJ front & rear.
They have been nothing but problems slipping and breaking. He's replaced each of them once. He's junking them as soon as he can afford it.
yeah i know someone that has them. (problems, problems, problems)stay away from them like he said the plague. go with eaton e-locker
1993 Jeep Wrangler Nates93yj BuildSOLD
Nates93yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I've read a lot of bad reviews on the Ected. I have a Dana 44 Eaton E-locker. It took half of one Saturday to wire it up. I've only used it for one summer but so far so good. I read in this forum once that the D44 Eaton is only good for up to 35" tires. But I have not seen that statement but once.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #6
87Feep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

E-locker. Positive locking, open when not.

ECTED is limited slip that 'tightens' the clutches when locked. Guy in our club had one and after a while it wouldn't lock up, was just a limited slip.
87Feep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #7
crb577
1993 YJ Wrangler 

a guy i know deals the ected and has had nothing but problems with them I'd say to stay away from those
D30 w/yukon alloys, lock right, jb4x4 bracket, Rusty's HD tie rod 8.8w/ LSD,SOA xj rear 100" wheelbase, homemade greasable boomerang shackles, SS braided lines, 1" prothane body lift, 35" TrXus M/T, smitty built XRC.
lots of gen right armor and rear stinger.
crb577 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2009, 04:41 PM   #8
TheRealOldjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Eaton E locker is a pile of crap. The tangs that hold the electromagnet break, allowing the magnet to spin and sheering off the wiring. The locker unlocks when rocking forward to reverse due to the ball ramp engagement design. When you do break it, the parts cost 3x the initial cost of the locker. Ask me how I know

I wound up just throwing the damn thing away
elocker2.jpg   elocker-20002.jpg  
97 TJ 2.5L/30RH - daughters car

www.oldjeep.com My site

Last edited by TheRealOldjeep; 02-17-2009 at 04:54 PM..
TheRealOldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
plaidfro
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealOldjeep View Post
Eaton E locker is a pile of crap.
I wonder if its an isolated thing. My buddy runs the Eaton E-Lockers front and rear in his CJ and has had flawless performance with them in Moab multiple times... his brother who runs the ARB selectable air lockers has had issues with his air setup numerous times.
plaidfro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #10
TheRealOldjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidfro View Post
I wonder if its an isolated thing. My buddy runs the Eaton E-Lockers front and rear in his CJ and has had flawless performance with them in Moab multiple times... his brother who runs the ARB selectable air lockers has had issues with his air setup numerous times.
Heard of at least 3 of them going the same way. The unlocking when going forward to reverse would exist in all of them, just a defect of the design. There is a ball bearing that rides up a ramp causing it to lock, reversing causes it to go down the ramp to the unlocked position before going up the other ramp. The electromagnet alone costs almost $300 to replace

www.oldjeep.com My site
Unread 02-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #11
champelite210
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What about ox lockers. I saw where they are offering an electric model. There site doesn't show how it works though. I may just go with the old tried and true ox cable system.
1998 TJ, 4.0 HO, 5 speed, 3.5" RE Super Flex Adj SA lift, AA SYE, Currie steering, 4.88 Gears, 8.8 Rear with Eaton E-Locker, HP Dana 30 with Detroit locker and chromoly shafts, 36x12.5x15 TSL-SX, TNT Customs front 3.5 fenders, XRC rear crusher corners with 3.5 flare, A to Z rock sliders, PSC steering pump PSC steering Bx, XRC 8000 winch.
champelite210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2009, 07:13 PM   #12
TheRealOldjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ox - expensive, but the guys in my club who run them havn't had any issues since they changed the cable system.

www.oldjeep.com My site
Unread 02-17-2009, 08:41 PM   #13
yj_hank
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am on my second e-locker in my 8.8 and am getting pissed. I hardly ever use the thing. I have been trying to contact eaton to see what they will do. I only wheel in snow and sand. I see no excuse for the continued failures of this product.

Henry
Unread 02-17-2009, 08:42 PM   #14
ghost183
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i think lockers go bad/break due to maybe:

1) inproper installation maybe? just because its a repair shop, doesnt mean they know how to PROPERLY work on a diff.. you can just throw it in there, no measurements, no setting, NOTHING.. and it will still work!!..

2) inproper maintainance

3) unreal abuse combined with larger than rec tires, both eaton and auburn rec max at 33's, me knowing that auburns max rec tire is a 33, i try not to leave it locked if i dont have to..

4) overheating, the electromagnet uses electricity to maintain the pull and lock the carrier, that although minimal power draw, is still a power draw, the magnet gets hot, heating the fluid, along with driving/abusing it, etc.etc..

even those little 2milliamp led's get warm to the touch, and you can run a billion of them on a AA battery!! lol

i installed my locker.. and ive installed many a R&P's in my day.. so setting up a rear is no biggie..

about 500 and then 700 miles after i installed it, i opened it back up to inspect, everything was exactly as i set it, backlash was still at the .008 i set it at, wear pattern was perfect, heel,toe,drive and driven/coast side, so now its time for real world tests...

now, after a hard day into night (15 hours) wheeling trip, locked, unlocked, all situations.. with heated diff fluid being dunking and flashfreezing it in 20 degree lakes, and VERY minor water intrusion, i took everything back apart to inspect, my backlash was now at .018 out of spec.. bearings compressed, reseated and the shims compressed, while i was in there, i noticed that the hair of play that was created by the extra .010, was causing the axle (amongst other things) to play in and out, pulling and pushing the whole carrier with it .. unneccessary strain on the carrier and spiders maybe?!?!?

if i didnt think of rechecking the backlash when i did the diff flush, i wouldnt have caught it and maybe/probably blew the locker/R&P..

coincidentally after doing all this, my next weakest point gave, my pinion shaft snapped,so while waiting for the new yukons, i sent it to auburn and it passed and they sent it back.. didnt even have to do that DREX thing..

so off i went to redo the whooooole diff again..

that was 400 miles ago, just did another check.. A-OK

ill be due for a diff check in about 300 more miles.. just to make sure everything is still set right in there

but my ected has done a great job in keeping my 15psi, 35" claws locked together

but FWIW.. it might just be the lockers.. who knows.. maybe im just lucky, but if mine goes, im going to either an ARB, or OX.. totally differant internal design, and better/stronger structural components

Important Notice:... DUE TO RECENT BUDGET CUTS, STOCK MARKET PERFORMANCE, RISING COST OF ELECTRICITY, GAS AND OIL... THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL HAS BEEN TURNED OFF.... WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE............ Regards:... THE GOVERNMENT
ghost183 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2009, 08:59 PM   #15
Rustbucket83
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just Spool the 8.8 it can take it. I've seen mustangs with 600+hp and they don't break
Rustbucket83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.