attempted theft(i think) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > attempted theft(i think)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
rcracer8
1992 YJ Wrangler 

attempted theft(i think)

i left my jeep in front of my friends house for a few hours while i went to dinner and went to go home and my key wouldnt go in, i think the only thing that kept it there was cable around steering wheel and battery disconnect otherwise it probly would be gone

Unread 05-05-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
Phrankoff
2006 WK 

^^ is this commonplace? to disconnect the battery when you park it ? i mean.. the thief could always reattach?.. just an additional precaution?

my old man gave me this advice... never, ever, EVER leave anything in the Jeep. Never lock the doors. Let the a-hole open the doors unlocked so he has the common decency not to cut up your soft top. Let the guy go in look around and find nothing whilst keeping your soft top in tact.

I do however feel I need to have something in there. The security box in the center is bad news. It won't stop anyone from getting in. I see a lot of ammo can mods... are those things actually safe/durable.?
Phrankoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
Nucklez
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I had a Suzuki Samuari that was robbed twice. Once someone stole the spare tire cover while I was inside of a mall. The other time it was impounded (long story) and someone ripped the zippers on the top to break my speaker boxes and steal the 6x9 speakers. They actually busted the wooden boxes with something and stole the speakers. I'm glad they were rotten and weathered from me leaving the top off all the time. I had a small amp mounted to the firewall under the dash that they didn't get. I wish there was somewhere like that I could mount a small amp in the Jeep.
Warn Front Axles
Howell TBI
Nucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Leave the door open and the soft top/doors will be gone!

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 02:14 AM   #5
rcracer8
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrankoff View Post
^^ is this commonplace? to disconnect the battery when you park it ? i mean.. the thief could always reattach?.. just an additional precaution?

my old man gave me this advice... never, ever, EVER leave anything in the Jeep. Never lock the doors. Let the a-hole open the doors unlocked so he has the common decency not to cut up your soft top. Let the guy go in look around and find nothing whilst keeping your soft top in tact.

I do however feel I need to have something in there. The security box in the center is bad news. It won't stop anyone from getting in. I see a lot of ammo can mods... are those things actually safe/durable.?
i have a knob that unscrews from the terminal and kills connection all it really does is slow people down or make them think it has a killswitch i cant afford any other theft protection and as far as the locks i have none
Unread 05-06-2010, 05:27 AM   #6
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuck View Post
Lock the doors and have a cut up top and no doors..Locked doors on any soft top Jeep is pretty useless. Cut the top and unlock the door. The thieves won't even the decency to unzip a zipper.The only people that are gonna steal doors are people that either own Jeeps or can sell them to someone with a Jeep.
OP,, it is possible that the lock cylinder fell apart when you pulled the key out. Have you had any issues with the key? Do you have a big keychain?
Unread 05-06-2010, 05:36 AM   #7
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuck View Post
bacuse you cant unzip the soft top, climb in, unlock the doors and take them right........

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
davidm89
1994 YJ Wrangler 

One of my buddies didnt believe me and continues to lock his doors. So one day I unzipped the top, climbed in and took his door and swapped it with mine. I think I made my point considering his jeep is black and mine is red. He no longer keeps any valuables in the Jeep!
Unread 05-06-2010, 11:33 AM   #9
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have the locking center console which is nice, but won't stop a determined thief. Mostly, it's an out of sight, out of mind deterrent.

For non-valuables (jumper cables, ratchet straps, hand tools, fluids, tire pressure gauge, etc.) I have a medium-sized tool box (The Stanley Fatmax is weatherproof) with a small luggage lock on it. I lock that and any other object that might need to stay in the back during a grocery run (more tools, a backpack, my shovel) by using a cable lock and padlock connecting them to the rollbar.

Same as the center console, it's not going to stop a determined thief, but it will prevent just being able to pick it up and walk off with it.

(Having a dog in the car most of the time during errands also helps) ; )

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.