Atlas II + Tummy Tuck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Atlas II + Tummy Tuck

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-10-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Atlas II + Tummy Tuck

I am interested in buying an Atlas II and doing a tummy tuck skid plate at the same time. I have a 4.0L with an AX-15 manual tranny. What did you do? Did you fab a skid yourself or did you buy something? What problems am I in for? I really don't want a body lift or motor mount lift. If you clock the Atlas, flat can you get away without the BL or MML?

What are your thoughts?

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2007, 12:39 PM   #2
martells2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

my thoughts are you're gonna be one happy sumbetch
Unread 04-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #3
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

joe dillard did the same thing on his, although i think he is running the stock skid plate.
he has the ax15 and atlasII though, so may wanna give him a shout!
if you decide not to, just send the $$$$ this way and i'll do a test fitting for ye.....

martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2007, 07:03 AM   #4
2nd YJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am wanting to do the same thing on my YJ. I grenaded my transfer case mid January, and it hasn't run since. I will probably be replacing with a Atlas. Everything I have read is that if you don't run a body and MML, you will have to cut into the tub to run the Atlas flat. I will probably just spend a little extra money and run the 1"body and MML. I will also be fabbing up a crossmember, and then a seperate flat skid plate underneath.
Unread 04-11-2007, 08:08 AM   #5
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd YJ
I am wanting to do the same thing on my YJ. I grenaded my transfer case mid January, and it hasn't run since. I will probably be replacing with a Atlas. Everything I have read is that if you don't run a body and MML, you will have to cut into the tub to run the Atlas flat. I will probably just spend a little extra money and run the 1"body and MML. I will also be fabbing up a crossmember, and then a seperate flat skid plate underneath.
Not exact what I wanted to hear, I feel like I am tall enough and I don't want to add another inch. I don't mind cutting in my tub some, but it would depend on how much cutting in the tub I would have to do.

Does any have an links to an atlas install with tub cutting?

Thanks!

www.rockfrogs.org
Unread 04-11-2007, 08:19 AM   #6
zman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I did this mod with my 2.5L and stock t-case. A BL and MML were definately needed. As mentioned, you can probably get away without the BL/MML but you will need to cut up the tub under the drivers seat and I think it could be a pretty big job if you are using the stock seat brakets as that is were the cutting will be. I just put an Atlas in my new YJ project with 4.0L and the Atlas is even bigger than the stock 231. Not sure why people hate MML and BL, they are not that noticable and the gains with them and the flat skid are well worth there money. Here's some old pics (very old pics) of my 2.5L with the flat skid for some idea's, I have not addressed my other jeep yet.

zman
Unread 04-11-2007, 09:36 AM   #7
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
I did this mod with my 2.5L and stock t-case. A BL and MML were definately needed. As mentioned, you can probably get away without the BL/MML but you will need to cut up the tub under the drivers seat and I think it could be a pretty big job if you are using the stock seat brakets as that is were the cutting will be.
This will not be a problem since my seat tie into the cage I built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
Not sure why people hate MML and BL, they are not that noticable and the gains with them and the flat skid are well worth there money.
zman
I don't hate them. I just am already tall enough and I don't want to add to my COG. I am spring over with 2" springs. I would like to do exactly what your pictures show, but with no body lift and tub cutting.

www.rockfrogs.org
Unread 04-11-2007, 10:07 AM   #8
2nd YJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

ZMAN said it all. The picture shows what I will be doing on mine, but as stated earlier, I will have to do the BL and MML, I don't mind trimming the tub a little bit, but I don't want to hack it up.
Unread 04-11-2007, 11:45 AM   #9
lostneedgps

how much bigger is the Atlas do you have to cut the belly or can you just smack the crap out of tub with a Big motherf@#% Hammer
lostneedgps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2007, 02:02 PM   #10
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostneedgps
how much bigger is the Atlas do you have to cut the belly or can you just smack the crap out of tub with a Big motherf@#% Hammer
I am not sure. I don't have the Atlas yet and was trying to see if anyone had pictures of a modified floor. I still haven't see any yet.

www.rockfrogs.org
Unread 04-11-2007, 02:28 PM   #11
2nd YJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I know this don't help. But I've seen a picture on the net, but have no idea where. I think it was pictures of a build, so doing a search may not help. I'll try to look around tonight when I am not using company time to play on the internet.
Unread 04-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #12
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Like Martin mentioned, I have the Atlas 5.0 in my POS behind the AX-15. I still run the stock tcase skid though. I'd like to do a tummy tucker, but just have too many other projects on my plate plus it's still Socal desert wheeling season & I don't want to tear into another project right now while designing my own TT.

I saw you posted in another thread where I tossed-up a couple pics of my install, so I suppose you read/saw how I did it (1" BL & 1" MML). Neither are absolutely necessary, but that's the route I took for the time being.

You may want to PM my friend Adam (socalchef). Here's a thread of how his is put together/installed which is closer to what you want to do.

You'll need to sift through the pages in the thread, but I think you'll find some good info that'll help you.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/shaffers-diablo-sport-buildup-301084/
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2007, 06:42 PM   #13
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

i have done a few of these atlas/belly up conversions.
it is a great conversion, and money well spent.
luckily for us yj owners we have less sheet metal in the way, and can most often get by installing this without much body lift.

joe got off easy on his, but does not have the belly up on his rig yet.

the MMl and BL will help a lot. you can make up for it with a saw, or a few swings with a BFH. to get it FLAT you will have to put on the BL and MMl though.

you can have less than flat, i believe it is a 1" drop on the center skid, and the atlas at 7* without the bl, but what fun is that?

be SURE when yu order your atlas that you SPECIFY that it have a flat orientation or you will get one with a 7* rotation. this is important. i kick myself in the *** for not knowing this when i ordered mine.

you will ahve to shorten your front driveshaft, and lengthen the rear driveshaft, so be sure to add this to your budget.

i have some pics of my atlas installation on line HERE

when i did mine, as i said, i have the 7* rotation on it, which takes up room under the jeep making it virtually impossible to have a "flat" skid under there.
to help with this issue, on the 1" drop nth degree tummy tucker, i mashed a big dent into it to clearance for the atlas.

bear in mind that i DO have a body lift and MML. it is the rotatation of the case that kicks your butt on this thing.

i have the Atlas II 5.0 in mine, as does Joe Dillard. it is a great case, but you pay for it.

ask away if you have any questions.

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 09:54 AM   #14
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the replies. As I understand NAILER, if you want it complete flat than you need the flat atlas and a BL/MML. But if get a skid that has a 1" drop, you should be able to fit the flat atlas with no BL. Can you put in a MML without a BL?

Joe, the pictures of SoCal’s rig really puts the atlas's size in perspective. Thanks for the link.

I really like your setup NAILER. I like the nth degree skid a lot, but I have a hard time choking down the 500 price tag. I tend to cheap out and make everything myself. But a custom 1" drop skid would take a lot of time to figure out. Did you buy the DIY tummy tuck skid? I see how you had to weld on different supports/brackets.

www.rockfrogs.org
Unread 04-12-2007, 10:02 AM   #15
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

yes, it is a DIY skid. it is their supplied gusstets that are being welded in.
you may be able to do a mml without the bl, but the transmission bellhousing may hit the tub, and there will likely be additional hammer work required nder the jeep to get everything stuffed up in there your driveline angles get much better with the MML.

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.