arc welder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > arc welder

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 11-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
mylightsrsquare
1988 YJ Wrangler 

arc welder

would an arc welder do the job for some miner body work and other random stuff ide need to do for my yj? want to learn to weld and i found an arc welder on craigslist for $100. that semms like a good deal to me. let me know what you think
thanks

Unread 11-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hard to do sheet metal with a arc welder. Burns a hole in thin stuff real easy. What you need is a wire welder or a MIG.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
mylightsrsquare
1988 YJ Wrangler 

alright, thanks for the help
Unread 11-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Arc welding really isn't suited to working with sheetmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
jeepnbrett
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm probebly going to get bashed by all of the good fab and welding guys on here for recommending cheap Harbor Freight stuff but I don't care. About a year ago I was thinking like you in wanting to learn how to weld. Rather that spend several hundreds or even thousands of dollars on something I knew nothong about, I bought a $100.00 Harbor Freight wire feed flux welder. It's the cheap 110V 90A version. After playing around with it and learning what it is capable of, I couldn't be more happy with it. I have fabbed up numerous projects with it. I have made my own rock sliders, tube fender flares, bump stop pads, and a bunch of other stuff non Jeep related. I am sure I will step up and buy a Miller, Hobart, or Lincoln down the road sometime, but untill then my $100.00 cheap chinese piece of crap is doing a great job. It's been a lot of fun learning something new. Take a look at them. The worst that can happen is you can lose $100.00. And by the way, it will weld sheet metal for minor body work if you use properly.

4.0, AT, 3.5 Fabtech, 1" SRS, 1" BL, 35x13.50x15 Toyo MT's, HP30, TJ shafts, Lockrite, 8.8, Power Trax No Slip, 4.11's, Warn bumpers, W8274, SYE, and a bunch of other stuff....
jeepnbrett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have the Harbour freight 220v 150a welder and have used it a lot in 3 years. My welding is not pretty but nothing I have stitched together has failed. I have put a new floor, firewall and rocker panel on my 1967 Triumph GT6. Made front and back bumpers welded the tubes to the pumpkin on my 8.8. and a bunch of smaller tasks.
May not be the best tool around but it does what I want it to do.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
mylightsrsquare
1988 YJ Wrangler 

hmmm thanks guys, i will look into the harbor and freight welders then. sadly there is not a harbor and fright close to me so anything i buy from them will have to be from their web site.

another thing i want to weld is some d rings on my bumpers they were installed by a p.o. and i like them but they dont have any tow points besides the tow hooks in the front
Unread 11-07-2010, 10:55 PM   #8
jeepnbrett
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wow. I thought HF was everywhere. Do you have a McDonalds in your town?

Harbor Freight Tools

4.0, AT, 3.5 Fabtech, 1" SRS, 1" BL, 35x13.50x15 Toyo MT's, HP30, TJ shafts, Lockrite, 8.8, Power Trax No Slip, 4.11's, Warn bumpers, W8274, SYE, and a bunch of other stuff....
jeepnbrett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 11:11 PM   #9
mylightsrsquare
1988 YJ Wrangler 

haha thanks for the link. the store finder says there is one in Allentown about 30 mins away. but i really dont know Allentown at all

billy Joel did do a song on Allentown so it cant be too bad

and i do have 3 or more McDonald's within 5 miles of my house
Unread 11-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #10
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Also don't forget Craigslist. I was going to buy a HF mig welder to learn with and I checked CL and got a used Lincoln that is capable of running gas (the low end HF welders are flux core only) for $150. Been running strong for a couple of months now, I even had to buy more wire this weekend...
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #11
BigBass
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you can get Miller that would be your best bet, a lincoln is a close second , then either a hobart or a harbor freight. They all get the job done but a miller has much better arc quality.
Unread 11-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #12
bernm8r
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I used my HF welder. I bought the 110V flux core welder, for the price it was an awesome machine I have used 3 spools of wire already in it. With all that being said I had to borrow a Hobart 110V with more wire feed options. The HF had only 2 amp levels (how "hot" your spark is) low or high. I was doing exterior body work and the Hobart had much more versatility in achieving my desire of a cleaner seam to the exterior sections I replaced. Dont get me wrong the HF was doing an OK job but I was having some level of difficulty with it.

I would highly recommend an auto darkening helmet though, when your learning it is nice to be able to see where you are before you strike.

Good luck
bernm8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #13
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Funny I just repaired the floor under the drivers seat with my HF flux core welder. I did upgrade to the Hobart wire though.

I did a pretty good job with it. Flux core is messy. Prep work is key too.

Mine was under $70 after the coupons and all.
Unread 11-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #14
gonejeepin04220
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnbrett View Post
I'm probebly going to get bashed by all of the good fab and welding guys on here for recommending cheap Harbor Freight stuff but I don't care. About a year ago I was thinking like you in wanting to learn how to weld. Rather that spend several hundreds or even thousands of dollars on something I knew nothong about, I bought a $100.00 Harbor Freight wire feed flux welder. It's the cheap 110V 90A version. After playing around with it and learning what it is capable of, I couldn't be more happy with it. I have fabbed up numerous projects with it. I have made my own rock sliders, tube fender flares, bump stop pads, and a bunch of other stuff non Jeep related. I am sure I will step up and buy a Miller, Hobart, or Lincoln down the road sometime, but untill then my $100.00 cheap chinese piece of crap is doing a great job. It's been a lot of fun learning something new. Take a look at them. The worst that can happen is you can lose $100.00. And by the way, it will weld sheet metal for minor body work if you use properly.
harborfrieght is gonna make a little cash off of me now thanks to you. thanks for the info, its just what i was looking for
"my xj is so horny, sometimes im scared itll came right up in a wheelie"
gonejeepin04220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #15
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

There is nothing wrong with those cheap little welders as long as your expectations are right. Thin metal, don't run for long periods or they over heat and don't try to run a fabrication shop. If it turns out you don't like welding, don't have the knack or just don't need it you are only out <$100.

But, I don't think you will get enough penetration with a 110v one to make bumpers or much else that's over about 1/8 thick.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.