Anything electrical "blips" while Jeep is on. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anything electrical "blips" while Jeep is on.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 12-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
BigJ367
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Anything electrical "blips" while Jeep is on.

Hey everyone, for some reason anything electrical. (All lights, radio, fan, AC) will "blip" or turn off and on. Its hardly noticeable with the lights, they just dim for a split second then they are back up. Only way I noticed was the radio kept turning off and the heater/vent fan would hesitate for a split second. It happens when I'm both stopped and driving. I'm guessing its a ground. Would it be the main ground from the battery? That one seems to be in good shape. Thanks a mil!

BigJ367 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
cwein23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Does it happen when the engine is off and the electricity is on, or just when the engine is running?
cwein23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
BigJ367
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It does it when the engine is off and when it is running.
Unread 12-22-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds very much like a bad ground / battery connection broken internally.

Pictures of the area around the battery cables? Check the engine ground from the battery and check all your terminals and such as well. If you have an electrical meter you can check resistance - higher resistance or moving to infinite as you shake or jiggle the leads will show you which one (if either) is bad.
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #5
BigJ367
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris68 View Post

Pictures of the area around the battery cables? Check the engine ground from the battery and check all your terminals and such as well. If you have an electrical meter you can check resistance - higher resistance or moving to infinite as you shake or jiggle the leads will show you which one (if either) is bad.
Sorry for the delay in replying. Attached are some pics of the ground cable. I am going to replace the cable and terminal as well as clean up around the ground mount on the motor. I'll let yall know how it goes.
img_5296.jpg   img_5298.jpg  
Unread 12-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #6
cwein23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Any luck with it? If you negative terminal is corroded it wouldnt be a bad idea to check the positive one either
cwein23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
BigJ367
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris68 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwein23 View Post
Any luck with it? If you negative terminal is corroded it wouldnt be a bad idea to check the positive one either
Both terminals seem to be in great shape. Either way I will replace the negative one just in case its cracked. I am going to try and work on it tonight once I get home from work.
Unread 12-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #8
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

While you are at it, follow the small positive battery cable. You'll see that it goes to a post on a little box on the firewall. This is the Starter Relay (among other things, but it is called the Starter Relay).

On that post is the small positive battery cable and 5 or so 10 gauge wires that start with fusible links. All of the power for the whole jeep goes through here except for the main power to the starter.

Unhook the negative battery terminal. Then, undo the nut and clean up everything on that post until it is nice and shiny. Make sure that all the wires on that terminal look to be in good shape.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2014, 06:30 PM   #9
bergovoy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the ground should go to the motor and to the frame/chassis...

the ground from the motor to the chassis is usually a braided flat cable...

i would spray baking soda and water, librally all over the connection points.. if there is oil or residue, then clean that off first... then clean with the baking soda mixture.

after it is dry, you can coat the connection with Vaseline or battery terminal protectant...

also as stated above. check the red wire to the power distribution box, either next to the battery or under the dash near next to the fuse block...

check the main fuse, and grease the connectins with dielectric grease...

other then that, you may have a short and it is only shorting very sporadicly... good luck
bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2015, 10:38 PM   #10
Fyrbudd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Obviously this thread is a bit old, but I just chased a similar problem down in my '92 YJ. Perhaps this will help someone, just in case it wasn't the grounding demon.
My heater fan went out, my wipers would work only on "Mist" but then failed altogether. The real pain came when the Jeep suddenly refused to start. It turned over strongly but would not fire. I had no power to the ASD relay coil or to the fuel pump relay coil. It turned out to be the ignition switch, which controls power to all three of these functions. As these vehicles age the grease dries up and parts wear. Inside the lock cylinder for the ignition this can result in a "lazy" return from the "Start" position, leaving a high-resistance condition between two or more of the ignition switch contacts. The heat causes the solder to melt and the contacts to arc and carbonize. Since nearly all sub-systems are controlled by the ignition switch it can cause demons in any of those electrical systems. Your fuses will all be good and you will spend a great deal of time hunting this down. Try wiggling the key cylinder and checking out how it rolls back from Start to On. If it duplicates or cures the "on again, off again" problem you will have your answer. If not, then you have ruled it out. There is an excellent posting on this forum by Opihi59 regarding the removal and replacement of the switch elsewhere in this YJ technical forum. If you do replace the ignition switch be sure to service the lock cylinder to prevent another failure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.