Anything to compensate for power loss with bigger tires, besides regearing? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anything to compensate for power loss with bigger tires, besides regearing?

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 04-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #16
mylogylo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I spent a small fortune trying to get more power from my motor. It is a 4.0 but what I am saying still remains the same. When I went to 33's I did everything I could to get back to normal power.

Full Borla Exhaust
Perf Disti full ignition kit
Jet stage 2 chip
electric fan
K&N Cold Air Intake

It all cost a ton in the end. I'm sure it all helped, but nothing crazy noticeable. I finally had the money for an 8.8 so I regeared at the same time. Major difference!

Definitely worth the time and money to regear. All the money spent on the go fast goodies I probably could've ended up with a V8.

Lastly, what is this fifth gear you mention? LOL

mylogylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #17
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylogylo View Post
I spent a small fortune trying to get more power from my motor. It is a 4.0 but what I am saying still remains the same. When I went to 33's I did everything I could to get back to normal power.

Full Borla Exhaust
Perf Disti full ignition kit
Jet stage 2 chip
electric fan
K&N Cold Air Intake

It all cost a ton in the end. I'm sure it all helped, but nothing crazy noticeable. I finally had the money for an 8.8 so I regeared at the same time. Major difference!

Definitely worth the time and money to regear. All the money spent on the go fast goodies I probably could've ended up with a V8.

Lastly, what is this fifth gear you mention? LOL
Being in Dillon Colorado, your power losses are significant to begin with. I used to live in Vail.

HP loss= (9000) feet X .03 X HP at sea level (195) divided by 1000

You are losing about 52 hp from the lower barometric pressure.

Time for a turbo!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.