To anyone who has replaced a fuel pump. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > To anyone who has replaced a fuel pump.

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-24-2009, 11:20 AM   #16
Levinz11
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Well then I guess the pump or connections at the pump are the next step. Sorry, was just trying to troubleshoot abit for ya.

Thats all I was looking for.

Unread 02-24-2009, 11:48 AM   #17
azgurney
1991 YJ Wrangler 

When you say your fuel guage does not work do you mean it stays at empty or full? If it stays pegged out on full then you have a bad ground to the fuel pump and guage. They both use the same ground connected at the parking brake pedal mount bolt.
Unread 02-24-2009, 11:50 AM   #18
Levinz11
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azgurney View Post
When you say your fuel guage does not work do you mean it stays at empty or full? If it stays pegged out on full then you have a bad ground to the fuel pump and guage. They both use the same ground connected at the parking brake pedal mount bolt.
It stays at empty. Sometimes swinging over to 1/4 or 1/2 but never farther.

What does that mean? I always thought the sending unit was bad.
Unread 02-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #19
veritas4156
1991 MJ Comanche 

The sending unit uses a serious of strips of metal to ground the tank at different spots which put out different resistances, and something technical like that, blah blah blah, but what he was saying was that it still could have been a wiring issue but judging by your post it doesn't seem like it.

Just so you guys know, I don't really know how a sending unit works but that makes sense^^.
veritas4156 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #20
heep1991
2007 JK Wrangler 

Just a thought before dropping witch I have delt with and continue to deal with. I have 91 jeep and the fuel pump had a bad ground. I found this by using multimeter on the fuel pump plug witch you can access without dropping. Test both sides of the plug, I have to attach wire from plug that comes from fuel pump and ground it to my bumper. I will post pictures today of setup. Standby
heep1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #21
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I got the NAPA pump. It was about twice the size of the Bosch one.
When you have the tank dropped, get the sender working then.

Do you have a dent in the skid plate cover over the gas tank? That could cause the sender to get stuck on that baffle that is in the tank.

Here is a pic of my fuel pump/sender unit...
The actual "pump" is that aluminum looking cylinder. But what I got included in the box was all the parts it takes to remount the new pump into that harness it is in.

Here you can see the bulge in the baffle that is down inside the gas tank. Caused by a dent in the skid plate. It caused my sender to not work.

jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 12:13 PM   #22
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

the above is a fairly common problem. this happened to me and over time messed everything up. ive done 2 pump replacements and never had a pump that was an identical match to the factory. always a bit of finagling to make it work. these were the ones napa had for my application a 91.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #23
Levinz11
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep1991 View Post
Just a thought before dropping witch I have delt with and continue to deal with. I have 91 jeep and the fuel pump had a bad ground. I found this by using multimeter on the fuel pump plug witch you can access without dropping. Test both sides of the plug, I have to attach wire from plug that comes from fuel pump and ground it to my bumper. I will post pictures today of setup. Standby

How did you get to those without dropping the tank. Any pics would be great!
Unread 02-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #24
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levinz11 View Post
The plug pigtail should be accessable up infront of the tank. It is tight up there but doable from a creaper.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #25
Levinz11
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
The plug pigtail should be accessable up infront of the tank. It is tight up there but doable from a creaper.
As soon as the boos leaves I'm heading out there to check these things out. Ground at the emergency brake bracket. Pigtail in front of tank. I didn't see it yesterday, but I'll look again.

Thanks again guys!
Unread 02-24-2009, 06:51 PM   #26
heep1991
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levinz11 View Post

Wire is long enough to reach tire well.

as you can see I removed insulation on ground wire and attached wire to ground to rear bumper.

wire running from fuel pump plug to bumper

Hope this helps dropping tank is pain. I've done it many times though
Unread 02-24-2009, 06:52 PM   #27
heep1991
2007 JK Wrangler 

Below is great way to test fuel pump and also get fuel to engine quick if you run outa gas or just need to fill lines. Remove cap from fuse and press the fuse together. Fuse is always power and you dont need key in or anything. FYI you can do this with all fuses.. to think about it probley do starter and fuel pump at same time and maybe start Jeep lol.

Unread 02-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #28
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Carter sells an inline pump that would work. I dispise dropping a tank to fix a FI fuel pump that goes out every 60,000 miles.
Old4X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 10:34 AM   #29
Levinz11
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep1991 View Post
Below is great way to test fuel pump and also get fuel to engine quick if you run outa gas or just need to fill lines. Remove cap from fuse and press the fuse together. Fuse is always power and you dont need key in or anything. FYI you can do this with all fuses.. to think about it probley do starter and fuel pump at same time and maybe start Jeep lol.

Could you explain this a lil better? Remove cap from fuse and push fuse together???

Last edited by Levinz11; 02-25-2009 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: You mean the relay?
Levinz11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 10:36 AM   #30
Levinz11
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
Carter sells an inline pump that would work. I dispise dropping a tank to fix a FI fuel pump that goes out every 60,000 miles.
So by installing an inline pump, the old one simply stays in the tank??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.