Anyone using Seals-It axle seals? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone using Seals-It axle seals?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
ghetdjc320
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone using Seals-It axle seals?

Saw these online and they look pretty sweet but I'm not sure if anyone has ever used them.

http://sealsit.com/lowcostaxleseal.asp

I'm wondering if they will fit the passenger side with the CAD side? I am going to keep my CAD for now. I installed a Cable lock system along with an aussie locker and love the setup. I have to replace my drivers side axle seal though and wanted to use something stouter than the flimsy stock seals. Also has anyone had any luck using tube seals on their disconnect axles? I know the ones from Alloy USA are very specific in size but I've seen some from OX that seems to be more universal. I assume the problem is fitting the large splines of the disconnect axle through the tube seals?

thanks

Unread 08-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure about those but the ones made by Ten factory will not work with the disconnect.
They will work if you go to one peice shafts though.
Unread 08-28-2014, 01:41 PM   #3
ghetdjc320
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Just got off the phone with the tech support guys at seals-it and they say they will fit. They also sell tube seals they say will fit the disconnect axle. I'll order some and post back with the results. It would be nice to have a tube seal that fits the disco axles.
Unread 08-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #4
medic-11
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Funny you should post this. I am re-gearing my Dana 30 right now, and contemplating what I am going to do for seals.

You are correct, that most aftermarket seals will not fit over the disconnect shaft as it is larger. I don't remember the actual size- but its about a 1/4 larger diameter than the drivers side shaft. The disconnect splines are the largest part, and may prove difficult to get a seal over it, yet still seal to the shaft at the outboard end.

I have nearly come to the conclusion that I will build my own seals. You can search for a seal with adequate specs pretty easy on the internet. Ive found a few for ~$6, available at Autozone locally. What I was thinking, is casting a whole assembly, seal "housing" and seal in one piece of polyurethane, or as a plan "B", casting a seal holder from polyurethane and buying a replaceable seal to insert into it. I think if I chose the right hardness polyurethane for a one piece seal/holder, it would seal nice enough to the inside diameter of the housing, and provide a lip seal durable and pliable enough to ride the axle shaft. My friend does composites and mold making for Disney. I plan to get his opinions very soon, so I can decide if I want to try this or not.
medic-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 09:59 PM   #5
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

Yes. I tried the outer seals with no success. Put the seals- it in, then the stock seal. Well worth the piece of mind not having to do it twice. I have tj dana 30 axles though.
Unread 08-30-2014, 09:41 AM   #6
ghetdjc320
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg413i
Yes. I tried the outer seals with no success. Put the seals- it in, then the stock seal. Well worth the piece of mind not having to do it twice. I have tj dana 30 axles though.
I figured the seals-it will fit the drivers side but what about it fitting the passenger side? Did you use both seals. Why didn't the outer tube seals work?
Unread 08-31-2014, 06:21 AM   #7
Jeepsr4me

There is no way it will work on the stock shaft passenger side. If you ever pulled the shaft out you will see that the end splines are about twice the size of the shaft. So not sure how a collar would get over that AND be able to seal..
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2014, 09:06 AM   #8
ghetdjc320
1988 YJ Wrangler 

At the splines and seal the axles about 1.4" in diameter. Does it neck down all the way to 1.069" like the drivers side?
Unread 08-31-2014, 11:00 AM   #9
Jeepsr4me

I have a spare shaft I measured
shaft-measure.jpg  
Unread 08-31-2014, 11:22 AM   #10
sardog211
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I got 99 cherokee shafts, I used this seals it, and pull ddd the carrier and installed it, I also used the axle seals made by ten. I have had no leaks and zero issues with this seal, for me it worked great, take this as my 2 cents but it worked for me.
sardog211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2014, 11:29 AM   #11
Jeepsr4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardog211 View Post
I got 99 cherokee shafts, I used this seals it, and pull ddd the carrier and installed it, I also used the axle seals made by ten. I have had no leaks and zero issues with this seal, for me it worked great, take this as my 2 cents but it worked for me.
Thats because the cherokee shafts are like the TJ shafts, mostly all one size from spline to end. the YJ as I posted above varies enough to tear the seal as it was slide on..
Unread 08-31-2014, 11:42 AM   #12
ghetdjc320
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me
I have a spare shaft I measured
So iirc the stock shaft is just 1.069 that would make the passenger side equivalent to a 31ish spline?
Unread 08-31-2014, 11:43 AM   #13
ghetdjc320
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I am planning to try to fit the 30 spline tube seals from alloy on the passenger side and a regular one on the drivers side. I'll post back if this works
Unread 08-31-2014, 12:21 PM   #14
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The only reason the seals don't fit the disco is because of the larger end at the CAD, not the actual shaft portion. There was a write up on here where someone pulled an Alloy USA (or similar) apart to get it over then put it back together. If you get one for a larger diameter shaft, it's not going to seal at the end of the tube/shaft.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2014, 01:24 PM   #15
ghetdjc320
1988 YJ Wrangler 

According to the axle diameter of the disco axle where it comes out of the tube the diameter is 1.348" vs 1.31" on a 30 spline shaft. So in theory if I can get it over the splines which are 1.6" it should seal perfectly. Rite?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.