Anyone use the Exploder rear drive shaft? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone use the Exploder rear drive shaft?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 03-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone use the Exploder rear drive shaft?

Just what the title says. I pulled another 8.8 yesterday and can get the rear shaft for nothing. Has anyone had the Exploder axle cut down, I've also got a XJ shaft but the Ford one looks WAY beefier. I understand the u-joints are a different size, but if I use a 1330 - 1310 at the top and the stock flange at the axle would it work?

The only thing I noticed is the slip joint in the stock shaft looks kinda short. Oh, and yes the top end of the Exploder shaft is a double cardan.

I figure if this will work I'll keep the XJ shaft and the 1310 flange I've got for that as a spare set up.

Thoughts?

timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thousand of guys out there running a 8.8, surely I'm not the only knucklehead to think of this.
Unread 03-30-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I grabbed one when I was planning mine but never used it because I got a good deal on a TW. But, at the time I was thinking the slide was pretty short and did not have a grease fitting. No reason it won't work though.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
bpr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I grabbed one with my 8.8 also but haven't used it. It is a single cardan DS though. I would have to have a 1310 CV put in when I had it shortened so I just used an XJ instead.
bpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpr View Post
I grabbed one with my 8.8 also but haven't used it. It is a single cardan DS though. I would have to have a 1310 CV put in when I had it shortened so I just used an XJ instead.
They may have used different ones for different years, IDK. But this one is definitely a double cardan and has a flange mount at both ends, I've got the back half in the garage, I left the CV/Double Cardan end on the truck (it's at my buddy's body shop).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.