Anyone Running A Electric fan? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone Running A Electric fan?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 03-21-2007, 10:17 AM   #16
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you feel your 2.5L is less than you want, swap in a bigger motor. Pretty much nothing you can do to a 2.5 will be worth it. I even added a cam to mine, along with Borla header, clean air system, elec fan, etc. Nothing made a difference I didn't have to convince myself I felt.

Unread 03-21-2007, 10:52 AM   #17
SEZARO21
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I did the swap with a Taurus Fan. Very easy to do. I have it wired so that I can choose which speed I would like on and I can turn it off all together as well. I did this swap only for water crossings. If you're doing this swap expecting power gains, DON'T do it. There is no power gains.
1991 2.5L YJ, 4" R.E. lift kit, 1-1/4" Lift shackles, K&N CAI, 4.0 TB w/ bored out intake, 5.0L Ford Mustang fuel injectors, 117A alternator, Ford Taurus electric fan, Rancho steering stabilizer, 8.8 Ford axle, 35x12.5x15 Dunlop Mud Rovers, Smittybuilt Titanium side steps, Smittybilt SRC Front Grille Guard Bumper, Smittybilt Stereo Center console, PIAA 520 Series fog lights, Sylvania Silverstar headlights, 20 gallon fuel tank upgrade & Herculined tub.
SEZARO21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 11:53 AM   #18
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

What did I do different?
does a 4.2 have that different a curve?
I definitely noticed a dif in power when I switched to electric and the idle went up about 100 rpm.
I did start with a lincoln fan but it wouldn't fit. I ended up with a 12" fan from Pep Girls. I got the temp switch/relay from quadratec or summit racing..I forget which.
Total cost of switch over $150 but that includes a big ***** linc fan that is still sitting on the floor of my garage.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 05:47 PM   #19
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepfreak81
You don't have a wiring diagram on how to do this do you?? I have overheated twice because I bumped/.turned off the switch and didn't double check it.
I was afraid of doing the same thing, so I wired mine such that if the sensor gets hot enough and tells the relay to send power to the fan, but the override switch is off, the power is instead routed to a bulb I put behind my unused "Check Engine" light. I did this 2.5 years ago so I can't remember exactly how I wired it, but I believe i used a second relay used only to divert the power one way or another. I'm driving my XJ at the moment so I can't go look at it.... but I'll think about it more and see if I can't draw something up.

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 05:49 PM   #20
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

What are you guys using for temperature sensors?

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 08:12 PM   #21
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepfreak81
You don't have a wiring diagram on how to do this do you?? I have overheated twice because I bumped/.turned off the switch and didn't double check it.
I was going to do a write up on it, but I haven't found the time. Here's my diagram.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 08:26 PM   #22
ckiel24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
If you feel your 2.5L is less than you want, swap in a bigger motor. Pretty much nothing you can do to a 2.5 will be worth it. I even added a cam to mine, along with Borla header, clean air system, elec fan, etc. Nothing made a difference I didn't have to convince myself I felt.
Im with don... You should be able to pick up a wrecked cherokee for under $1000 and have all the parts you need to swap in a 4.0 plus have a cherokee to part out that you could probably make your money back with. All you would have to do is fab up some brakets or buy some that are pre fabed and have some one weld them in for ya. On the other hand... That is an awsome diagram Mr.B!
ckiel24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 08:42 PM   #23
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckiel24
...On the other hand... That is an awsome diagram Mr.B!
Thanks.
I look at it differently. The 2.5 is what I have. There are alot of other things that I need to spend what little money I have on. So whatever I can do to get just 5 MPH...
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-21-2007, 09:26 PM   #24
ckiel24

True... But also wouldnt it make more since to get some different gears rather then spent the money on the electric fan? I know the gears are more $$$ and dont give you any extra HP but would they make a bigger difference?
ckiel24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 11:09 AM   #25
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

This is the one I used.
Came with everything but the fan and 12 volts.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

It has a second lead for an over ride (they say for A/C) that you can hook up to a switch for manual on. I don't know why I would want it off with the engine temp above 180
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 08:32 PM   #26
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark299
What are you guys using for temperature sensors?
I bought a Torqflo #733653 from autozone. It cost me about $18. I know it's cheap, but it is adjustable. I have it set to start the fan at about 195*, and when the radiator gets down to around 145*, it shuts off. There are better ones out there. I think mine is made by Flexa-a-lite and repackaged. It's been working great so far. I couldn't find much on the internet about it, except this Nissan forum that someone else used one.
http://nissan4wheelers.com/eve/forum...31#14610527331

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #27
pickleman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i have everything i need to wire up my fan but i can't find any spot to put my temp sensor to make everyhting work, does anybody know where i can put it on a 2.5l 93yj ? thanks
pickleman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #28
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I went with a Zirgo fan and their kit to make it work automatically. But the 16" 3300CFM fan kit is rather expensive now but it is a sweet fan. It looks just like the fan in my '01 GC which is just about the same size and would be much cheaper. You could use the Zirgo kit to make it automatic.

One very important tip! If you use the probe in the upper radiator hose you will need to use a little Permatex to help seal the hose back up. That is because the copper wire that is attached to the probe makes a good seal very hard to accomplish. What I did was make a small groove on the inside of my upper radiator hose with a hack saw blade whee that copper line would lay. Then with the Permatex coating it works just fine.

To make the 'brackets for the Zirgo fan I used doubled up strips of sheet metal and used self tapping screws to hold the sheet metal in place. Then I attached the faqn to those doubled up strips.

Here is what I did:

http://home.comcast.net/~laybackman/Zirgo/Zirgo.htm

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #29
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickleman View Post
i have everything i need to wire up my fan but i can't find any spot to put my temp sensor to make everyhting work, does anybody know where i can put it on a 2.5l 93yj ? thanks
I read somewhere here recently, that someone cut up another radiator hose, and wrapped the probe in it around the real radiator hose. I hope that makes sense. I'm not sure how it's working for him though.

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #30
trucknut
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hey whats wrong with the power of the old faithful 2.5L??? Every time I am on the highway I am always at the front of a very long line!!!

I added an electric fan to mine, not to gain power but to get a little extra cooling at low speeds and when plowing. Used a pusher fan in front of the rad controlled by a toggle switch on the dash.

My Save the YJ from the junkyard project...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-94-rebuild-thread-747404/

2001 Toyota Tundra TRD
trucknut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.