Anyone Running A Electric fan? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone Running A Electric fan?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-19-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
wrecks30

Anyone Running A Electric fan?

I was just interested in going to an electric. and maybe get a couple more horses from my 2.5, cause I need all I can get, If anyone has done this, How do you like it? was hard to install? do you get any more power?

Thanks

wrecks30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #2
ckiel24

To be honest, I dont think you will be able to tell much of a difference power wise just by switching to an eletric fan. For a little bit more you could just swap in a 4.0, assuming you can do the work your self
ckiel24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2007, 06:38 PM   #3
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecks30
I was just interested in going to an electric. and maybe get a couple more horses from my 2.5, cause I need all I can get, If anyone has done this, How do you like it? was hard to install? do you get any more power?

Thanks
I put a Mark VII fan on my 2.5. Although I haven't been on the freeway yet, I can sure feel the difference around town. I got it off a '96 Mercury Cougar with a 4.6L V8. It has 2 speeds, but I haven't needed the high speed yet. I also set it up so I can turn it off in deep water. With a cheap $17 thermostat and some 50 amp relays, I'm good to go.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2007, 07:49 PM   #4
Swampwalker3
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You have some hellacious space under your hood, Mr. B.

Zane Neher
88 YJ. H.O. 4.0L/AW4/twin sticked d300/1 tons/38.5s.
Swampwalker3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2007, 10:10 PM   #5
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have a Taurus 3.8 fan (I think it's the same as the Mark VIII) wired on high. Keeps my 350 cool all summer long.

1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2007, 05:47 AM   #6
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I switched over to an electric about 3 weeks ago. It's been cool here so I've only had the fan come on a couple of times.
But I did notice a marked increase in power. I've only run two tanks through so far but it seems like I'm getting better milage, tough to tell since I'm having too much fun with the extra horsies.
vadslram is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2007, 07:08 AM   #7
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckiel24
To be honest, I dont think you will be able to tell much of a difference power wise just by switching to an eletric fan. For a little bit more you could just swap in a 4.0, assuming you can do the work your self
Electric fan... couple hundred bux TOPS... 4.0 swap... a thousand at LEAST Not to mention the downtime of the rig and labor....

I run the Taurus fan too with my V8... $45 for the fan, and I had $70 more into it for the fan t-stat and Bosch relay. -- ignore that one through the rad mount, I needed to make one more bracket.

Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2007, 07:16 PM   #8
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampwalker3
You have some hellacious space under your hood, Mr. B.
I'm thinking of putting a compressor tank in there. And maybe a popcorn maker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj
I have a Taurus 3.8 fan (I think it's the same as the Mark VIII) wired on high. Keeps my 350 cool all summer long.
I think the motor is the same 2 speed. The blades and the cowling are slightly different though. The nice thing about the Mark VII is that it was an almost perfect fit.
Do your Taurus blades look like this?

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-20-2007, 07:26 PM   #9
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

i ran an electric fan on the 2.5, never could tell the difference myself, in that or the 4.0 t/b etc etc.
i just got the kit for a v6 from my local parts place, never had any issues with it.
think the relay/thermostat deal was all bosch.

martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2007, 10:35 PM   #10
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

No they are straighter. Does your's make a ton of noise like mine does?
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 02:30 AM   #11
yjing

Im looking to do this for the spring/summer. Does anyone have or know of a write up on EVERYTHING needed to swap in an electric fan? I have an electric fan, thats it. What else is needed? Easy to do? Cost of accessories? Thanks a lot!!!

[COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club Member #360[/COLOR]
yjing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 08:14 AM   #12
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj
No they are straighter. Does your's make a ton of noise like mine does?
Only when it's running.

I actually have an LED in the cab that goes out when the fan is running, because when I'm driving down the road I can't hear it.

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-21-2007, 08:21 AM   #13
BigMikey

I have an electric fan i bought off quadratec a while back. I as well did not notice any power gains. I def. like an adjustable fan because when your in the trail moving at slow speed high RPMs i can set the fan to come on at any time and it keeps my engine at the temp i set it at. Its great.
BigMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 08:37 AM   #14
Tulsachokehold
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have a Grand Cherokee fan waiting to go into my Yj. I am not totaly sure if it is a multi speed fan, but I will be wiring it in so I can tuyrn it on and off at will. this allong with a trany cooler should make things a bit cooler under my rig.
'91 YJ. 4.0 TF999, D300 w/ 4:1, twin sticks. Chevy D44 front, 4.10's, spooled, Yukon 4340 shafts w/ super joints. Warn premium lock outs, High steer, ram assist. Dodge D60HD rear, 4.10's, welded, disc brakes. SOA front w/ RE 1.5" SOA leaf packs. Custom 4 link rear w/16" fox air shocks, stretched to 110". 38x12.5x15 TSLs on crager Nomads w/ DIY beadlocks. Tolly Fab Tube fenders, rocker gaurds, cage. 15gal stainless steel fuel tank.
Tulsachokehold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 09:12 AM   #15
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B
Only when it's running.

I actually have an LED in the cab that goes out when the fan is running, because when I'm driving down the road I can't hear it.

You don't have a wiring diagram on how to do this do you?? I have overheated twice because I bumped/.turned off the switch and didn't double check it.
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.