Anyone running Alloy USA SYE? RC Driveshaft? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone running Alloy USA SYE? RC Driveshaft?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 12-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone running Alloy USA SYE? RC Driveshaft?

has anyone tried out the Alloy USA SYE? How about the one size fits most CV Driveshaft from Rough Country? Seems like one heck of a deal over Tom Woods and Teraflex…

http://www.amazon.com/Alloy-USA-1140...sim_sbs_auto_3

total for both is $358

possibly the answer to my vibes at low speeds but I only want to do it once, and I'm trying to hold out until i find a rear axle.

Edit** a little more research reveals that the rough country drive shaft is made by Tom Woods. So I imagine that would be the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
JeepAddOnsChris
Vendor
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Your room for error on rear driveshaft length is much less than that of the front. You can easily get one too short depending on the output of what axle you choose. It's not something you want to buy twice simply because lengthening a driveshaft usually costs more at local shops than a brand new Tom Woods, Adams, Tattons, etc.

Where are you coming up with the $378 number though? I'm seeing $158.44 on the RR SYE at Amazon and $279.95 for the TW through RC?

Visit our site
http://jeepaddons.com
Like us on Facebook
http://facebook.com/jeepaddons
JeepAddOnsChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Why not pull a front shaft from an XJ and have it cut and balanced? Under $100 total for the shaft.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Chris this is where in seeing the price,,

And the few reviews I have seen say the shaft fits on all of their jeeps.

And Timatoe I have yet to find a shop local with that capability.

Quote:
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Unread 12-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos14 View Post
And Timatoe I have yet to find a shop local with that capability.
Can I help?

Google came up with one in Mebane which according to the interwebs, is 12 minutes away from you.
image.jpg  
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #6
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Can I help?

Google came up with one in Mebane which according to the interwebs, is 12 minutes away from you.
You're a wizard with that internet thing. Okay RC shaft is out, anybody know anything about the SYE?

Quote:
Unread 12-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #7
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just know that a local shop prolly isn't going to be able to touch that price.
2 bills is cheap.
I got my drive shaft custom made locally and paid more than 2 bills. I paid $265(7 years ago). for the shaft and $250 for an Advance Adapters SYE. With the flange adapter, new fluids, sealant and the special tools required...6 bills for the mod.
Tom Woods, who is NOT a custom shop, but has a warehouse full of pre-made shafts, can't even sell at that 200 price point.

Sometimes...When is cheap too cheap?
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
JeepAddOnsChris
Vendor
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I will disagree with the XJ driveshaft for several reasons from my own personal experience.

XJs are still plentiful, but there are fewer people parting them out, thus finding one for free or cheap is getting harder.

XJs haven't been made in well over ten years. You're purchasing a driveshaft that will likely need new u-joints at a minimum, a full rebuild worst case.

Depending on your area, local shops can charge just as much if not more for cutting one down and balancing it compared to what you can purchase new for.

I did purchase an XJ shaft a while back and it lasted less than a year. I paid $25 for it and around $200 to have it cut, sleeved and balanced (this was compared to the other local shop that wanted $300). Later noticed the slip was worn and trashed it.

My opinion, that's got to be a pricing error for the Rough Country shaft on Amazon (fyi, they're no longer made by Tom Woods). You can't buy them wholesale for that and would be nuts to pass it up. Buy it quick.

Visit our site
http://jeepaddons.com
Like us on Facebook
http://facebook.com/jeepaddons
JeepAddOnsChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Personally I would go with Adams driveshaft mainly since the DS will be made to length but that is one heck of a deal. A buddy of mine did the Adams driveshaft SYE kit on his TJ and has been very happy.

http://www.adamsdriveshaftoffroad.co...shaft-package/
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
Steve707
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I think I spent $130 to have mine cut, balanced, and new ujoints. I believe all the ujoints were replaced.
Steve707 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
c5wagner
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That cv shaft on amazon by rough country for $200 is for a tj which means it will be on the short side for a yj.....

Try this: Driveshaft SYE combo $425
Big Red Money Pit: 1989 Base YJ, 4.2l, MC 2150, nv3550, nv241or with 4:1 low, 2003 Rubicon f D44 & r ford 8.8 with 4.10 gearing, Skyjacker 4" double military wrap springs, RC perf. 2.2 shocks, homebrew 1/2" lift boom shackles, 31x10.5r15 Treadwright Guard Dogs.
c5wagner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Install SYE, measure shaft length, call Carolina Driveline, have driveshaft at your door in 2 business days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #13
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5wagner View Post
That cv shaft on amazon by rough country for $200 is for a tj which means it will be on the short side for a yj.....

Try this: Driveshaft SYE combo $425
the same part number in another link for more money calls it a tj 4-6" and yj 4" shaft.

and Seth what am I looking at going that route?

Quote:
Unread 12-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #14
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos14 View Post
the same part number in another link for more money calls it a tj 4-6" and yj 4" shaft.

and Seth what am I looking at going that route?
My shaft was just over 2 hunna and it was a custom deal since I had a 1330 lower u-joint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
My shaft was just over 2 hunna and it was a custom deal since I had a 1330 lower u-joint.
thats not bad. I'm always down to support local shops. Thanks man.

Quote:

Tags
drive shaft , sye

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.