Anyone run a RC lift with 1/2" lift boomerang shackles and only TC drop? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone run a RC lift with 1/2" lift boomerang shackles and only TC drop?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
MA88XJDude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone run a RC lift with 1/2" lift boomerang shackles and only TC drop?

I just finished installing my Rough Country 4" lift kit on my 88 YJ last night.

However, the rear shackle angle is really bad (almost in line with the spring) and the front is a little over 90 degrees. So first off, I know that the springs are brand new and need to settle a little but it seem's like the stock length shackles are too short for the springs or vice versa.

I was going to contact RC and see if maybe they are deffective springs as I have heard of this before.

SO the question is:

Could I run a 5" eye to eye boomerang shackle (1/2" of lift) to help with the angle? I cant really afford a SYE right now, so I have to stick with the T case drop kit for now. Has anyone done this?

Sorry for no pics, Im in school right now but I'll snap some when I get home.

Build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...build-1066682/
MASSKRAWLERS.COM
MA88XJDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What degree shims are you using? Higher angle shims combined with a MML or something like that should get you where you need to be. Taller shackles will turn the angle up some to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
MA88XJDude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Eh...I dont know, if I was going to go through the trouble of doing a MML I think that I would just save my money and buy a SYE and get a front cherokee shaft shortened....

Also Im not sure what degree shims I have, they are the ones that come on the RC springs.

So I called RC and the tech said that it would be ok and that I just need to drive my YJ around and get the springs to sag.....but Im not happy with that answer.

So Im still looking to know if anyone runs a 4" RC kit with a 1/2" boom shackle lift and only the TC drop.......
MASSKRAWLERS.COM

Last edited by MA88XJDude; 04-09-2010 at 02:24 PM..
Unread 04-10-2010, 05:49 AM   #4
MA88XJDude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

bump, nobody run's a RC w/ 1/2" shackles? if not then what do you guys reccomend I do? nothing? SYE is a must down the road (I want to anyways)?.....
MASSKRAWLERS.COM
Unread 04-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #5
2uraven
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have the boomerang shackles and it added closer to an inch. i got an RE 2.5 lift and it turned out to be 4" over all. you probably have 2* shims and could try 4* or maybe six and get rid of the tc drop.
2uraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
berretaman
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have recently put a RC 4" lift and 5/8 boomerang shackles which is close to 1/2" and have no vibes at all, but every jeep is different so take that into consideration. I also plan on putting a sye but just not at the moment.
p1030310.jpg  
berretaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #7
alifted4x4
2000 WJ 

I have a RC 4" on my 1990 YJ with a Reverse Shackle in the front and 1"5/8 Boom Shackles in the rear.. I have a little videration at high speeds but not too bad. I have the TC drop but no SYE yet.
alifted4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
wv2jeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a4in rc lift with 1 inch longer boomarang shackles,so half inch more lift.I used the transfer cace drop with the kit.Afrer everything set in I had to shim the pinion angle down to clear up a slight vib.Friend has exact same setup with no vibes.Iguess everyones is a little diffrent.
wv2jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
harrist
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I installed my RC 4" last month, along with 1.25" boom shackles and with a tcase drop, and only have slight vibes around 30-35 mph, but there not too bad... but then again I'm also running a longer shackle...
harrist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #10
MA88XJDude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hmmm.....looks like I'll have to order some 1/2" lift boomerangs and try them out.

Also the angles on my shackles are much better now that I have moved the jeep around.

thanks guys, much apreiciated.
MASSKRAWLERS.COM
Unread 04-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #11
lil_joe
1997 ZJ 

I have a 92 YJ 4 inch RC lift, 5/8 boom shackles, 1 1/2" front wheel spacers, and 1" BL, ...........ZERO issues ........been running this set up since 05/09
--[.]IIIII[.]
Obsession is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated
HER's: 92 YJ 4" RC 1.5 RC Booms, 1" BL on 33's
MINE's: 97 ZJ 5.2 Upcountry Limited Project 2" RE BB on 265/75 Mud Dogs, Locked front LSD rear, 242 swapped T-Case, RC Quick Disco's
www.virtualjeepclub.com/
lil_joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 07:43 PM   #12
iowajeepers
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA88XJDude View Post
bump, nobody run's a RC w/ 1/2" shackles? if not then what do you guys reccomend I do? nothing? SYE is a must down the road (I want to anyways)?.....
Ran a 4" RC lift with 3/4" booms with no issues. I am now running a SYE since upgrading to an 8.8.

1994 YJ, 2000 TJ, 2000 XJ, 2004 WJ, 1976 Stingray
iowajeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.