2Likes
  • 1 Post By shaggyjim
  • 1 Post By bpounds

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-23-2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Vernors
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone repositioned front sway bar??

Within another thread it was recommended that I check out the possibility of moving the front sway bar to create clearance for the steering linkage.

I've got a unique (somewhat) set up where I've done a shackle reversal, WJ Brake upgrade and 1 ton GM tie-rod steering. The problem: There is no way that the DOM steering will clear the stock sway bar. I've got the original pitman and also a waggy pitman to choose from. Checked out positioning for both, and neither are close to working.

A Currie Anti-Rock sway was suggested, and appears to work, but someone also mentioned repositioning the stock sway bar and using different links.

A couple questions, 1) Has someone done this, how and did they run into any issues? 2) Does the sway bar and links need to be at a 90 degree angle, or is there some wiggle room?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-23-2017, 12:59 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

here is a thread that talks about crossover steering and issues with the sway bar mounts (axle side) on a TJ. the images are worth a look to see if simply lengthening them will accomplish the task .

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cr...issues-587352/

As stated in the Anti-rock thread you posted:

It is very common to re-adjust and raise the sway bar axle-side mounts for steering upgrades. Moving them Fore and aft is less common.

Do you have a few pictures of where you are getting interference with your sway bar connectors/axle side mounts? I'm 99.8% sure that the issue you are having has been dealt with and solved before. We just need to see what you are working with to help you with a sure-fire trusted solution.

91 YJ "Alice" 4.0L, AX-15, NP 231 Flange, Adams Driveshafts F/R, 2.5" OME 36Rs, 5/8" /f12 Booms, 32" Yoko ATs, 4.10 D30/35 AutoLockers F/R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM never
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #3 of 10 Old 08-23-2017, 01:10 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Found these on the JCR DIY section: https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/SBRM.html

EDIT: If you watch this video or simply fast forward to the end, you will see a small snippet of how they are planning on using the JCR SwayBar Relocation brackets and where they go on the axle.

Screenshot of the SBRM and location.
Attached Thumbnails
OTK Sway bar solution JCR.jpg  

91 YJ "Alice" 4.0L, AX-15, NP 231 Flange, Adams Driveshafts F/R, 2.5" OME 36Rs, 5/8" /f12 Booms, 32" Yoko ATs, 4.10 D30/35 AutoLockers F/R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM never
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

post #4 of 10 Old 08-23-2017, 06:08 PM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I cant remember @Vernors if you talked about it before but have you tried running without one for a bit yet? I'm not saying it would work for you but a lot of us have ditched the sway bar with good success.
Chrisnvegas likes this.

Jim...

"That's more fun than watching a hippie get mauled by a bear!"
post #5 of 10 Old 08-23-2017, 09:05 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

+1

I relocated mine. To the back corner of the storage shed.
Chrisnvegas likes this.

Bill
Dodge did not build my Jeep.
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2.5" lift + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-24-2017, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Vernors
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, I have considered it and there seems to be very passionate opinions about both scenarios : ) I actually may be able to keep the sway bar and raise it a bit. There is room, I'm also checking on using different tie-rod ends. The one I measured against was really heavy duty, might be some other options to use a slightly smaller 1 ton and get it to fit. What I don't know is how articulation is going to affect things. We'll see, but will report back. Thanks for all the advice...
post #7 of 10 Old 08-24-2017, 12:21 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Remember a while back Yamaha had a ****load of lawsuits on the Rhino for rollovers?
They had a recall.
Their solution was to remove the swaybar completely. That was the recall.

When I got my YJ, I was not a fan at all after coming from a CJ. I had other swaybars around. One that was real close was a swaybar from a 70's Trans Am (rear)
It was half the diameter. Not that exaggerated monster swaybar AMC installed after all the CJ lawsuits.

So if you want a swaybar, cool.
Think outside the box.
Measure, and look around some junkyards and get some ideas. Look at the back of rear wheel drive solid axle cars.
Your going to probably have to re-position it some because of the shackle reversal. Your axle is probably going to have more front to back movement than the standard setup.

My Jeep is NOT a Fiat!
post #8 of 10 Old 08-25-2017, 10:19 AM
jeepnbrett
1993 YJ Wrangler 

As mentioned earlier, there is a lot of opinions on running with or without sway bars on a YJ. I would suggest driving the Jeep around for a while without them and decide if you really want them. I have a similar set up that you are describing with a shackle reversal, HD heim link steering, with 35's. I run without a stabilizer shock, no track bars, and no sway bars. My Jeep is very easy to drive at 70 mph and is as stable as you would expect any lifted Jeep with 35's to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brett

4.0, AT, 3.5 Fabtech, 1" SRS, 1" BL, 35x13.50x15 Toyo MT's, HP30, TJ shafts, Lockrite, 8.8, Power Trax No Slip, 4.11's, Warn bumpers, W8274, SYE, and a bunch of other stuff....
post #9 of 10 Old 08-27-2017, 09:22 AM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
I run a Currie Anti Rock and swear by it.

When I went to tons (Currie RJ's) I actually added a JKU bar which is larger in diameter than the what is offered for the YJ.

For off roading I simply readjust the upper link mounting point to the rearmost hole. No problem with articulation.

This is one of those questions that gets asked than answered by folks who have never driven a vehicle that is properly setup.

The common response is that they don't need one, till they drive one and than realize what they have been missing.
this

YJOTM never
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

post #10 of 10 Old 08-28-2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Vernors
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've pulled the sway bar, am reverting back to the waggy pitman and setting up with 1 ton tie rods. Will continue without a sway for now, and will keep an eye out for a used Currie system...good to know about the JKU bar, if I buy new I'll see if I can have that swapped out as an upgrade. Will post an update when the tie-rods are in and a test drive is done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.