Currently trying to get the crankshaft set up. New crank, new bearings. Noticed with the the rear main bearing there were clearance issues with the bearing hitting a flange on the rear of the crank shaft. When i compared the new bearing with old one, they are the same size, also the old bearing fits the same way with the old crank. Ill try and get some pictures up soon.
Can't get the crank to rotate with everything torqued to spec. Anyone delt with this problem?
the crank is a re-man unit from a company in utah, shipped with new bearings. i didnt plastigage anything unfortunatly. im going to get some plastigage to check my other clearances(dont even know if i can get that locally, it was hard enough finding assembly lube) the block has received no machining
here is the original problem: loss of oil pressure, and loud banging from engine. wouldnt hold idle. after pulling the engine and popping the oil pan i found that the bearing for connecting rod 1 had extruded itself from between the crank and connecting rod. none of the other bearings looked damaged. the crank had about 1/4 play forwards and backwards by pulling on the flywheel it had ground itself up pretty bad. after pulling the crank i found a clog in the oil passage to #1 cylinder. sent in the crank for machining, but it was too warped.
as far as the other 6 mains are concerned everything fit together nice, its just the rear one which doesnt look like the others. and its the sides of it that are jamming against the crank. ill try and google a picture as my camera is back at my house with my pics on it.
We all make mistakes. I helped a buddy rebuild his 258 since he doesn't mess with motors much. Well we had it all done but I neglected to tell him to take the block to the machine shop to have the cylinders honed/bored out. I should have thought to tell him since I instructed him to get the crank turned and have new bearings. Well after we had it together it smoked like a chimney so the process started over again.
after carefully marking each rod cap, and noting the numbers on the main caps, I then waited with boyish anticipation as my crank was being shipped from 3000 km away. The day ups said it would be here I booked off work just so I wouldnt miss it and have to go pick it up. So after 2 weeks it gets here. We clean everything off, generously,lube up all the bearings, make sure all oil passages are clear etc etc. In the spur of the moment I forgot the big bearing went at the front..... So it got jammed in the back, when we gently lowered in the crank it,didnt seat in the back. I said multiple times "thats not right". We were determined thats where the old one was and it must be right... So grudgingly we went ahead and compressed it in to place. All the while im thinking theres no way they would designe this as an interfearance fit.... But not seeing any other option we torquedd her down to 80 ft lbs.... So now that little flange on the rear of the crank is warped and bent... Hopefully the crank isnt bent too, wouldnt be surprised if it is.
Hopefully this doesnt put me at the same level as that guy who put brake fluid in his lt1 and then cleaned it out by using brake cleaner while the engine was running...