Anyone rebuild a 258? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone rebuild a 258?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-29-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
stan-yj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone rebuild a 258?

Currently trying to get the crankshaft set up. New crank, new bearings. Noticed with the the rear main bearing there were clearance issues with the bearing hitting a flange on the rear of the crank shaft. When i compared the new bearing with old one, they are the same size, also the old bearing fits the same way with the old crank. Ill try and get some pictures up soon.

Can't get the crank to rotate with everything torqued to spec. Anyone delt with this problem?

stan-yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Did you have the machine shop turn the crank and provide new bearings?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
badmax
1990 YJ Wrangler 

was the old rear bearing completely worn out? you may have a cap alignment problem. I would look at the crank first. Did you plasti gauge any of the bearings during your assembly?
badmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
NJscott
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just currious, you are only rebuilding the crank? Any machining? Im only asking because i just finished a complete rebuild, crank, pistons, head. im wondering if you are having as much "fun" as i did
daystar 1" bl
1.25" booms
NJscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
stan-yj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

the crank is a re-man unit from a company in utah, shipped with new bearings. i didnt plastigage anything unfortunatly. im going to get some plastigage to check my other clearances(dont even know if i can get that locally, it was hard enough finding assembly lube) the block has received no machining

here is the original problem: loss of oil pressure, and loud banging from engine. wouldnt hold idle. after pulling the engine and popping the oil pan i found that the bearing for connecting rod 1 had extruded itself from between the crank and connecting rod. none of the other bearings looked damaged. the crank had about 1/4 play forwards and backwards by pulling on the flywheel it had ground itself up pretty bad. after pulling the crank i found a clog in the oil passage to #1 cylinder. sent in the crank for machining, but it was too warped.

as far as the other 6 mains are concerned everything fit together nice, its just the rear one which doesnt look like the others. and its the sides of it that are jamming against the crank. ill try and google a picture as my camera is back at my house with my pics on it.

thanks guys
Unread 09-29-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
stan-yj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

heres a crank, i drew 2 lines. one is the lip and the other is to the unmachined portion of the crank, both of which are binding hard with the rear main bearings

Unread 09-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like either the thrust surface of the crank is ground incorrectly or they gave you the wrong bearings. Take it back to the shop.

Just curious: you aren't using main bearing caps from a different engine, are you?
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
badmax
1990 YJ Wrangler 

not trying to sound dumb or anything, but you are not trying to put the thrust bearing there are you?
badmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #9
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Did you mark the main caps when you took it apart?

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #10
stan-yj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

F*** im a ***@king idiot. Im not even going to admit to what I did because I'm pretty sure I ruined a 300 dollar crank.
Unread 09-30-2010, 11:19 AM   #11
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

We all make mistakes. I helped a buddy rebuild his 258 since he doesn't mess with motors much. Well we had it all done but I neglected to tell him to take the block to the machine shop to have the cylinders honed/bored out. I should have thought to tell him since I instructed him to get the crank turned and have new bearings. Well after we had it together it smoked like a chimney so the process started over again.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #12
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan-yj View Post
F*** im a ***@king idiot. Im not even going to admit to what I did because I'm pretty sure I ruined a 300 dollar crank.

Awww come on tell us.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #13
stan-yj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You vulcher haha ok here it is.

after carefully marking each rod cap, and noting the numbers on the main caps, I then waited with boyish anticipation as my crank was being shipped from 3000 km away. The day ups said it would be here I booked off work just so I wouldnt miss it and have to go pick it up. So after 2 weeks it gets here. We clean everything off, generously,lube up all the bearings, make sure all oil passages are clear etc etc. In the spur of the moment I forgot the big bearing went at the front..... So it got jammed in the back, when we gently lowered in the crank it,didnt seat in the back. I said multiple times "thats not right". We were determined thats where the old one was and it must be right... So grudgingly we went ahead and compressed it in to place. All the while im thinking theres no way they would designe this as an interfearance fit.... But not seeing any other option we torquedd her down to 80 ft lbs.... So now that little flange on the rear of the crank is warped and bent... Hopefully the crank isnt bent too, wouldnt be surprised if it is.

Hopefully this doesnt put me at the same level as that guy who put brake fluid in his lt1 and then cleaned it out by using brake cleaner while the engine was running...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.