anyone pull the carpet and use bedliner ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > anyone pull the carpet and use bedliner ?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
krazybob
1988 YJ Wrangler 

anyone pull the carpet and use bedliner ?

I'm thinking of pulling my floor carpet, and using bedliner paint on the floor. Lots easier to clean after a day having fun Any thoughts about roll on, brush on, spray on ? Also a possible brand that may work best ? Running just a bikini top, no hardtop, or with the wife's allergies, I doubt I could use it because of possible smell. Or,, maybe that isn't an issue with bedliner paint ?

1988 YJ 4.2 5sp
krazybob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazybob View Post
I'm thinking of pulling my floor carpet, and using bedliner paint on the floor. Lots easier to clean after a day having fun Any thoughts about roll on, brush on, spray on ? Also a possible brand that may work best ? Running just a bikini top, no hardtop, or with the wife's allergies, I doubt I could use it because of possible smell. Or,, maybe that isn't an issue with bedliner paint ?
I've got no carpet....just stock paint...easy to clean out.

just google DIY bed liner....lots of choices...
Unread 09-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
Jeepsr4me

One TIP.... get the liner that is smooth as possible IF MUD is in your diet... Getting mud stains out of rough bed liner is a ppain.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #4
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I did roll on bed liner and it worked great, no smell after drying. That said, I reinstalled my carpet for three reasons. 1. It stays cooler in the summer, it surprising how much of the heat from the cat and motor is blocked by the carpet and heavy felt backing. 2. It's seems warmer in the winter, metal transfer the cold way to well. 3. And this is minor, but the jeep is quieter inside especially with the top on.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

here's what I did to the exterior....fix'n to do a durabak 18UV smooth coat over it....tough stuff!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...-rough-914927/

clean it with 409 and a scrub brush....tree branches come off on my paint...
Unread 09-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
Wazzier
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Have to recommend a 1gal Monstaliner kit man. Have my whole tub done in the stuff for the past year and not a scratch. Not even fading at all. Smooth and easy to clean when done to!
Wazzier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #7
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzier View Post
Have to recommend a 1gal Monstaliner kit man. Have my whole tub done in the stuff for the past year and not a scratch. Not even fading at all. Smooth and easy to clean when done to!
I was thinking about monstaliner for the interior....

What color...black?
Unread 09-01-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
Wazzier
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mines black.. Whatever you like really. Could paint it your body color so it looks more stock\clean!
Unread 09-01-2014, 06:10 PM   #9
IA93Javert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You can tint the monstaliner to about any color you want. I am looking to do the same.
IA93Javert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 06:22 PM   #10
Wazzier
1995 YJ Wrangler 

They sell the tint as well.. You can order a test chip bag with all the colors off their site under $10.
Unread 09-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #11
snowplowdog
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The PO of my Jeep did the bedliner, unfortunately he didn't prep the inside of the tub first so it's peeling off in sheets. I did the same thing Reno did, carpet, since it's also my daily driver, and it does make a difference as far as heat/cold and noise.
Unread 09-01-2014, 08:58 PM   #12
95YJLS
1995 YJ Wrangler 

A coworker had his YJ tub Rhinolined professionally. He loves it, but after a few years with the top off the black is fading a little.

I can't speak from experience, as mine is still sitting in cans, but I chose Monstaliner after doing the research. Also, Jeepforum members get some bonuses with Monstaliner.
95YJLS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 11:51 PM   #13
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I did this a long time ago and used the Herculiner roll on kit. It's held up ok everywhere but under my right heel. I later sprayed the entire exterior in Monsta Liner. If I were to do the inside again I'd go with the Monsta there too.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 01:16 AM   #14
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Pulled carpet. Stock paint underneath is easiest to clean mud and dust. No bucks, no prep, no work.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 06:00 AM   #15
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have done Monstaliner on two jeeps and have rhino on my 89.

Rhino is 10 years old and going strong. The 2 Monstaliner jeeps are only 1 year into use. I did it to match each jeep. One red and one white. I like the "stockish" look. I did put carpet back in the 91 to keep noise and heat/cold transfer down. That jeep is all street and driven by my wife some.

The white one sees a lot of sand so I am not sure about the longevity since it basically has sand paper on the floor a lot. Time will tell.
jeep63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.