Anyone heard or tried this? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone heard or tried this?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 10-10-2005, 05:08 PM   #1
Arc

Anyone heard or tried this?

Just seen a site that claims adding 1-3 oz. of Acetone per 10 US gal. of gas or diesel increases MPG and performance by 10-35% What it does is ensures all gas is vaporized and burnt with no raw gas getting past the rings. Check it out and make your own decisions...

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...00069_Acetone/

Arc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2005, 06:04 PM   #2
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

You can bet that with my daily commute of 25 miles each way....I'm gonna give it a shot.
Unread 10-10-2005, 08:29 PM   #3
yesterdaylight
1995 YJ Wrangler 

according to all the research he's done it looks like acetone really can make a difference, and it makes sense. I do, however, question his credibility because he doesnt seem to list and real credentials like... "MIT Chemical Engineer" or... "Carnegie Mellon research group" lol. and I don't want to destroy my jeep. it's my daily driver! Acetone does seem harmless enough when mixed with 10 gallons of gas though. I am going to give it a try this week as soon as i can get some acetone. We'll see how this works out...
yesterdaylight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2005, 08:49 PM   #4
Slapahoe
Registered Jerk

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Whats a gallon of this stuff run these days? I would love to see if I can push more then 50 MPG out of my metro.
Unread 10-11-2005, 12:19 AM   #5
Nater018

It would be really cool if you guys could give the rest of us (the less adventerous) some numbers/feedback after you run it. Let us know how it works out!
[SIZE=1]1994 [COLOR=navy][B]BLUE[/B][/COLOR] YJ 4.0 5spd, RE 4.5 Extreme Duty w/ [COLOR=yellow]OLD MAN EMU shocks[/COLOR] , [COLOR=darkred]WARN[/COLOR] front/rear swing away bumper, Gibson stainless headers/Banks front pipe/no cat/Dynomax Super Turbo catback, [COLOR=Orange]BUSHWACKER[/COLOR] cut-out fender flares, the list goes on...[/SIZE]
[B]Pics of[/B] [URL=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2137213/1][B][COLOR=Navy]N8S YJ[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
[URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1649608&posted=1#post1649608]Skydiver's Jeep Club[/URL] Member #2

"Man, I'd love to set up shop in her crotch"--Chuck
Nater018 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2005, 12:47 AM   #6
rede2go

its on my list to try after all i get a whole 200 miles per tank summer and fall and 180 winter and spring. It should be very easy to tell i could use my odometer and never use my gas gauge. So i will get some tomorrow and the test will begin.
rede2go is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2005, 01:19 AM   #7
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

as will mine. I am about 220 per tank now....we will see if it changes.
Unread 10-11-2005, 01:39 AM   #8
mp3coupe
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I know someone that tried the above on a v-rod and also on his Lexus 470. He didn't notice any difference.
mp3coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2005, 05:25 AM   #9
kikitup
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numba1goalie
Whats a gallon of this stuff run these days? I would love to see if I can push more then 50 MPG out of my metro.
Here in VA it runs between 12 and 15 dollers per gallon. If you know someone that has a beauty supply discount card, we have gotten it as low as 6 per gallon. We use it for somthing else, non automotive related.
kikitup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2005, 09:24 AM   #10
Bobbywolf

Wait a min, wasn't somone one the board recently saying how this stuff actually does more harm than good? It does give better fuel milage, but it eats away at everything because it is quite a strong solvant.
Bobbywolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2005, 12:31 PM   #11
JeepPhamilee
1977 FSJ Wagoneer 

I have read this kinda post on acetone several times and there seems to be people with pros and cons, but here is how my common sense works. If acetone was to work as a gas mileage improver or wonder fuel additive with real or false benefits I am almost positive that someone or some company would of cornered the market in it. If it doesn't say add to fuel for wonderous and miracle results I wouldn't put it in my engine.

The BoOgER '77 Wagoneer
5.3L Vortech/4L60E/NP208
JeepPhamilee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2005, 03:30 PM   #12
JEEPINWI

hey guys-
I am actually going to try adding acetone to my fuel for the next five tanks. I go through a tank of fuel(about 300 miles) every week, so I will report back in about 5 weeks. Right now, my YJ gets about 18 mpg, but has not got me more than 19 mpg since I started my commute to school mid-august. We'll see if it actually does help on our Jeep engines. Also, I am not worried about it doing damage to my engine since it is diluted so much. I have tested the e-85 in my engine, along with other fuel additives, so I am not worried if damage does occur. Also, I have my 4.6L stroker almost finished, so my old engine will be written off in a couple months anyways.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.