Anyone Heard of this?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone Heard of this??

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
nygiants57
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone Heard of this??

I recently bought a 1991 Wrangler Sahara. For some reason the previous owner disconnected the A/C receiver/drier and compressor. Then put a "T" connector in the middle of both the in/out hoses that go to the heater core. Then connected the "T" connector to the in/out of the evaporator.

I can only guess that they wanted more heat and didn’t care about air conditioning.

Now the big question......wouldn’t this ruin the evaporator? Running coolant through it. Personally I would rather have some A/C but wonder if it would ever work again once hooked back up to the receiver/drier and compressor.

I hope this all made sense. I took me a while to figure out what they did and it just doesn’t make sense.

Thoughts from the jeep experts out there ????

nygiants57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2007, 10:22 PM   #2
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

To tell the truth it sounds like it was their way of getting more cool air, not heat from what I can understand. You are right it ruined your ac evaporator.

I recently installed new ac and love it.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
MetZenDS
2007 JK Wrangler 

Get an underdash ac kit. Easier and works better than stock.
Unread 09-05-2007, 10:49 PM   #4
Weekender1969
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygianrs57
I recently bought a 1991 Wrangler Sahara. For some reason the previous owner disconnected the A/C receiver/drier and compressor. Then put a "T" connector in the middle of both the in/out hoses that go to the heater core. Then connected the "T" connector to the in/out of the evaporator.

I can only guess that they wanted more heat and didn’t care about air conditioning.

Now the big question......wouldn’t this ruin the evaporator? Running coolant through it. Personally I would rather have some A/C but wonder if it would ever work again once hooked back up to the receiver/drier and compressor.

I hope this all made sense. I took me a while to figure out what they did and it just doesn’t make sense.

Thoughts from the jeep experts out there ????
If I am reading the above correctly in my alcohol induced state
Then your compressor is not in the picture at all and you just have hot water running through both your heater core and the evap. This means not only does your air not work but the heat never turns off. Well it may still turn off but I doubt it is very comfortable in your heep

Disconnect the t stuff and use your ac comprssor for on board air.. I did and love it, who needs AC in a vehicle with a top and doors that are off the heep 90% of the time anyway. The 10% of the time I have the top and doors on are NOT when I want things cool

A plug for my clubs project:

http://www.warriorjeep.org/
Weekender1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.