Anyone have a pic of the fuel lines,etc on top of gas tank? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone have a pic of the fuel lines,etc on top of gas tank?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-21-2006, 03:46 PM   #1
wwiihistory

Anyone have a pic of the fuel lines,etc on top of gas tank?

Just wondering....maybe one of you guys took some pics during a restoration or something...

95 Sahara, 4.0L, 5 spd, Olive/Tan, HT,HD's, 31's,3.07s

Military Jeep club member 1941,1942,1943,1944, and 1945
wwiihistory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2006, 03:52 PM   #2
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiihistory
Just wondering....maybe one of you guys took some pics during a restoration or something...
I might have one when I pulled the gas tank. The only problem is it is on my home computer and my house is being carpeted. So, it will be a couple of days before I get a chance to set-up my computer. If no one has responded by saturday and you still need the picture, let me know.

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2006, 04:05 PM   #3
crosschecker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
What is it you're trying to figure out? There are two lines for fuel and a vent line with two connections to the tank. Not sure if that's any help.
crosschecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #4
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosschecker
What is it you're trying to figure out? There are two lines for fuel and a vent line with two connections to the tank. Not sure if that's any help.
No, there are three, a fuel suppy, fuel return, and a vent. There are also the two filler hoses.

www.rockfrogs.org
Unread 09-21-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
crosschecker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelson
No, there are three, a fuel suppy, fuel return, and a vent. There are also the two filler hoses.
Actually, what I said was correct,
Quote:
There are two lines for fuel and a vent line with two connections to the tank
Also, the filler hose and another large vent line. If you're going to try and nitpick, make sure you are correct.
Unread 09-21-2006, 05:45 PM   #6
wwiihistory

well I can see a rubber hose coming from the top of tank which meets up to a hard line with a hose clamp. It is blowing fuel out when engine running. It appears that there is excess hose where I could cut a few inches off and reconnect for a new fresh connection but I was thinking:

1) just fix the hose and be on my way again (by the way, if tank is not drained will it start siphoning out through pump in tank during repair?)

2)drop the tank....and replace all rubber hoses since I have no idea on the condition or time since new (possibly 11 years old).

this fuel line just blew on the way home the other day and I have been fighting a running rich problem for wuite some time (see other thread). I am wondering..if this happened to be the return-to-tank line and maybe was plugging up not allowing unneeded fuel to return....would this give me a rich condition even if everything was good up front?

Unread 09-21-2006, 05:51 PM   #7
crosschecker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
well I can see a rubber hose coming from the top of tank which meets up to a hard line with a hose clamp. It is blowing fuel out when engine running. It appears that there is excess hose where I could cut a few inches off and reconnect for a new fresh connection but I was thinking:

1) just fix the hose and be on my way again (by the way, if tank is not drained will it start siphoning out through pump in tank during repair?)

2)drop the tank....and replace all rubber hoses since I have no idea on the condition or time since new (possibly 11 years old).

this fuel line just blew on the way home the other day and I have been fighting a running rich problem for wuite some time (see other thread). I am wondering..if this happened to be the return-to-tank line and maybe was plugging up not allowing unneeded fuel to return....would this give me a rich condition even if everything was good up front?
If you have a fuel injected engine, that's what I have, you can relaese the pressure in the system by taking the cap off the pressure test port on the fuel rail and depress the valve in the test port. That should spray some fuel and release pressure in your system. Then you can go ahead and try and repair the line. There will probably still be fuel in the line but not much. As for the rich condition, you're on your own, can't help with that.
Unread 09-21-2006, 05:56 PM   #8
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I do have a couple of pics...but only a link to it as I am still new here.
These are when I installed my Kilby.
By the way... That rubber gasket in the 1st pic is a chrysler recall item for early yj's(it should be thick like mine, not a thin gasket)

jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2006, 05:58 PM   #9
wwiihistory

Thanks jeepster!

Unread 09-22-2006, 11:16 AM   #10
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosschecker
Actually, what I said was correct, Also, the filler hose and another large vent line. If you're going to try and nitpick, make sure you are correct.
Sorry, this is my bad. I didn't see the plural on the words "fuel lines" the first time I read it. My apology!

www.rockfrogs.org
Unread 09-22-2006, 07:25 PM   #11
wwiihistory

well, I took a better look under it today and I pretty sure where the leak is coming from.

The rubberreturn line that comes from tank between the frame and body (sits in a rubber grommet) was not long enough to reach the stainless fuel line so someone at some point inserted a metal tube along with another short rubber hose and some clamps to reach the hard line. I can see a rusty 1/8" gap between the two and suspect it has a nice hole in it.

The rubber hose that is coming from the top of tank to this connection is pretty soft as well. I plan on dropping tank and replacing both with new and make thm long enough.

Questions is: In the thread on page 1 about replacment filter hose someone mentioned using fuel injection rubber hose instead of regular 5/16". Is this a strongly recommended idea since it will be in a not-so-easy to access area?

thanks

Unread 09-24-2006, 07:27 AM   #12
wwiihistory

well, I spent yesterday afternoon and into evening dropping gas tank and changing the fuel line from tank. They were the higher pressure lines installed to start with. I just made sure to have extra hose. To eliminate kinks of the hose , I made 1 360 curl to the filter inlet.

The only real pain in the *** was trying to remove the bolts of the exhaust hanger plate on the rear frame rail....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.