Anyone else have problem with headlights cycling off & on? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-07-2015, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
BullochDawg
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone else have problem with headlights cycling off & on?

Noticed when driving at night, occasionally the headlights will cycle off n on a few times and then go back to normal.
It's not like a shorted wire where they flicker erratically. It's more of a one-second cycle, three or four times.
My guess is switch or relay overheating (?)
Just wondering if this is a common problem and recommended fix.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-07-2015, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
BullochDawg
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Looking at some other threads, it looks like the switch...or maybe a corroded fuse holder.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-07-2015, 07:14 AM
silleYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, very common, the headlight dimmer switch located in cab overheats from what I understand. There are numerous write ups on how to upgrade the wiring and switch to eliminate that problem. I still need to do the upgrade myself. Although, since switching all interior lights and side marker lights to LED it doesn't occur near as often.

1988 YJ Wrangler 2.5L for fun
2014 WK Grand Cherokee for dependability
post #4 of 9 Old 11-07-2015, 07:25 AM
Louie4
Jeep Enjuneering

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochDawg View Post
Looking at some other threads, it looks like the switch...or maybe a corroded fuse holder.
Correct. All the current is being pulled through the switch and overtime it will start shutting off when the highbeams are on. You can get a new switch but you'll probably run into the same problem over time. The real solution would be to wire in a couple relays using the headlight switch as the signal and run a wire straight from the battery to the relays to power the headlights. I think there is a thread on here describing that. I want to do it myself as my highbeams can't stay on long and I did replace the light switch too.

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 Old 11-07-2015, 12:27 PM
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, there is a bi-metallic circuit breaker built into the switch. If you put in higher wattage headlights, you run into this more often. You can take the switch apart and clean the contacts but you will really like the relay upgrade. You can get a plug and play harness off amazon for about $25 that will fix that issue and give you brighter headlights

91 YJ Sahara, 4.0L, AX-15/NP231, D30/D35@3.07
12 Cherokee 4x4,3.7L,42RLE/MP1522, D30M/8.25@3.73
Emission test=YES
"Non Vi Sed, Arte"
post #6 of 9 Old 11-07-2015, 01:44 PM
Michaelgoesrawr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
As everyone else has said, the real key to fixing the problem is bypassing the current draw that goes through the headlight switch by using relays instead. Even brand new switches will fail in a reasonably short amount of time. It's a design/engineering/cost cutting flaw, not a problem with the switch.

The thermoswitch does a good job doing its job. When you upgrade you can use circuit breakers that fit in the fuse location to maintain the same level of safety. Instead of losing lights completely they will pop on and off like the factory headlight switch.

Adopt your pets. Don't shop for them.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-09-2015, 06:41 PM
mncdriver
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Drednot, more info on the plug and play solution off amazon please. My '87's headlights are way to dim. Thanks
post #8 of 9 Old 11-10-2015, 01:37 AM
Michaelgoesrawr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mncdriver View Post
Drednot, more info on the plug and play solution off amazon please. My '87's headlights are way to dim. Thanks
Just search h4 headlight wire upgrade and it should pop up

Adopt your pets. Don't shop for them.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-10-2015, 07:56 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.