Anyone doing a LCOG YJ build? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone doing a LCOG YJ build?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 11-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
Jay-P
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone doing a LCOG YJ build?

Have any of you done a low center of gravity build on a YJ?

Idea being.. as little lift as you can get away with while fitting large tires ~35". Effectively increasing your overall ground clearance, while minimizing your chance of rolling over/tipping... Or so it seems to me.

Seems to be alot of interest in it atm, but all the threads i see are focused on TJ's and JK's.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/a...-jeeps-895271/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/3...-jeeps-685821/

The main issues i see on a YJ are making sure you go SOA.

Anyone have any experience with this on a YJ?

Unread 11-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

theres a lot of people that have done it. i plan to stay with my 2.5 inch lift and do tube fenders and cut the rear. I also plan to do a 1" BL and 1"MML so i can also do a flat skid plate. I'm going to try and fit 35's into that setup. I don't have money for it now so i'm gonna be running 33's with TJ flairs for the time being

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm currently saving for my LCG Setup for my YJ, I plan on running 37's with Built D44's with my 1"BL I currently have with Stock springs and Genright Hi fenders F&R With that setup I will be able to pull into my garage which is a + cause there are alot of Built trucks and Jeeps getting stolen around here and Im starting to worry about my YJ
Unread 11-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
2wheelmatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Those Metalcloak fenders that have been popping up around here are supposed to be really good for what you are wishing to accomplish. There's just the factor of cost.

I think they said they can run 33 at stock height with the fenders only.
2wheelmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
91YJRockCrawler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_nichols View Post
theres a lot of people that have done it. i plan to stay with my 2.5 inch lift and do tube fenders and cut the rear. I also plan to do a 1" BL and 1"MML so i can also do a flat skid plate. I'm going to try and fit 35's into that setup. I don't have money for it now so i'm gonna be running 33's with TJ flairs for the time being
im doing the same thing... but i already have tube fenders, cut out the rear and my 35s are on there way
91YJRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-P View Post
Have any of you done a low center of gravity build on a YJ?

Idea being.. as little lift as you can get away with while fitting large tires ~35". Effectively increasing your overall ground clearance, while minimizing your chance of rolling over/tipping... Or so it seems to me.

Seems to be alot of interest in it atm, but all the threads i see are focused on TJ's and JK's.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/a...-jeeps-895271/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/3...-jeeps-685821/

The main issues i see on a YJ are making sure you go SOA.

Anyone have any experience with this on a YJ?
I am currently doing this. 3.5 inch springs, 1/2 booms SUA. ford 8.8. 35's. I am waiting to see the fit of the 35's with the 8.8 in before trimming. If TJ flares or trimming my current flares is not enough, I am looking at high-lining the front. Right now I have an inch more in the back than the front for some reason, so I might be able to leave the back alone.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
bigj650
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just finished (well one never really finishes) a lcg build on my 93. I'm on a R.E. 2.5 lift and Genright hiline fender kit. I'm running 35x12.50 Swampers and the front is awesome, looks beasty and no rub anywhere, all though I had to turn the steerring bumpstops out a little.
The rear is not quite as good but workable. Added 1" bumpstops but still get some rub at full flex. It still needs a little cutting and if I hadn't added the 8.8 i would have had enough room to slide back an inch.
Unread 11-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #8
Jay-P
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post
I am currently doing this. 3.5 inch springs, 1/2 booms SUA. ford 8.8. 35's. I am waiting to see the fit of the 35's with the 8.8 in before trimming. If TJ flares or trimming my current flares is not enough, I am looking at high-lining the front. Right now I have an inch more in the back than the front for some reason, so I might be able to leave the back alone.

Did you consider going SOA? Seems like staying SUA leaves alot of low hanging items under the axles.

I have about the same set-up as you atm, aside from the 8.8, with RubiconTJ flares, and have alot of room from tire to flare with my 32's. 35's would be too tight i think though. Let me know how it turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj650 View Post
I just finished (well one never really finishes) a lcg build on my 93. I'm on a R.E. 2.5 lift and Genright hiline fender kit. I'm running 35x12.50 Swampers and the front is awesome, looks beasty and no rub anywhere, all though I had to turn the steerring bumpstops out a little.
The rear is not quite as good but workable. Added 1" bumpstops but still get some rub at full flex. It still needs a little cutting and if I hadn't added the 8.8 i would have had enough room to slide back an inch.
Have any pics? I'd love to see how it turned out. What are you running in the rear as far as flares go?
Jay-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #9
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Pictures would be nice.
Unread 11-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #10
bigj650
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I considered SOA but the whole reason for the locg build was to keep things simple. Seems to much fab work and engineering that was unnecesary. My drive line angles are stock or less. The rear was clocked when the 8.8 went in. I have a cv drive shaft but belive I'll have a standard one built. I may consider SOA when I can afford bigger axles.
I'll try to get some pics but I'm a techno tard so it's a struggle.
I'm running the tube rear fender flares that come with the fender kit.
Unread 11-13-2009, 06:52 PM   #11
Jay-P
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj650 View Post
I considered SOA but the whole reason for the locg build was to keep things simple. Seems to much fab work and engineering that was unnecesary. My drive line angles are stock or less. The rear was clocked when the 8.8 went in. I have a cv drive shaft but belive I'll have a standard one built. I may consider SOA when I can afford bigger axles.

Thats what im debating... Seems as though going SOA would clear up alot of room under the axles, which seems like what the whole lcog build is all about.

To post pics you will need to get photobucket, webshots or some other hosting site to host the pics for you. Then post them on here. If you want you can send the pics to me and i can put them up for us all to see.
Unread 11-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #12
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I plan to stay sua and just do a u bolt flip. Not much under the axle at that point

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #13
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Low cog is relative. Try running 40s on your sua jeep. I'm not saying it can't be done because with highline fenders, re constructing the tub, and serious bump stopping it can probably happen. For me my low cog rig will have 1.5in of lift soa and be sporting some 40 inch rubbber on one tons.

here it stands now with 37s
90 YJ 102 in wb stretch, SOA, dana 60, 14 bolt welded,4.56s, 37in Parnelli jones dirt grips, currie twin stick dana 300, york oba, tractor link traction bar, full custom armor,poison spyder tube fenders, 95Cherokee High Output 4.0
2014 JKU, modified Rubicon Rails, RC stubby with warn 8000m, 2" leveling springs and OME trim spacers, Superchips Flashcal, Spidertrax wheel spacers, rubi shocks, and Lots more mods soon!!!

Last edited by yjcrawlr; 11-13-2009 at 08:54 PM..
yjcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2009, 08:12 AM   #14
surfthedrum13
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Project SOA 2nd. thoughts - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

This should get the noobs going...

[]|||||||[] Red Jeep Club Member #497
surfthedrum13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #15
bigj650
1993 YJ Wrangler 

YJ LCOG build

data/4/medium/jeep_pic21.jpg[/IMG]

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.