anybody running wiper motor from a toggle instead of replacing the switch??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > anybody running wiper motor from a toggle instead of replacing the switch???

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
cherokeepride

anybody running wiper motor from a toggle instead of replacing the switch???

Anybody running their wiper motor from a toggle?. Its for my girlfriends 95 Wrangler. The problem is in the switch and its an expensive headache to replace it because its in the steering column so I was thinking just take power from the fuse box and run the wiper motor from a toggle. Everything else works fine besides the wiper isssue. The Jeep is just a second vehicle for the woods and play so we'd rather not put too much money into it. Im sure somebodys done this before I was just wondering if there were any good write ups on it I dont wanna just go splicing wires until I know the best way to execute this. Any info would help, thanks

cherokeepride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
01RedDawn
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'm wondering about this too, I'm about to do the same thing. If I can find anything out though I will let you know.
01RedDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Why not just replace the switch? Its not that hard.

Can it be run off a different switch, yes. However, much better to fix things than add more wiring that will create possible electric gremlins in the future.

My 2 cents.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:18 AM   #4
Joe100
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hi! All Yes I had to replace my wiper switch on a 89 YJ I purchased this from a PO and the oem tilt steering was very loose and the wiper control arm was totally busted out of it. I drilled care full in to the plastic and steel and got the turn signal to work but the wiper part of it was destroyed. i removed the black box variable control for wiper at the bottom end of the steering shaft and traced out the wires. I mounted a single pole switch to the wiper High speed and mounted a momentary push button next to it for the washer. I am going to install a two postion center off to replace the toggle switch that I org. put on and wire it so up is high and down is low this will give me the two speed High & Low. I just can't see spending big bucks for the switch's that go on the column $140.00??? go figure. Good luck to You's Joe100
Joe100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, I have mine on a toggle switch. It works fine. It doesn't park them automatically, but you could figure out how to do that if you want. You'll want a button for the squirter too. Or you could get an old fashioned dash mounted windshield wiper switch that has the squirter and 2 wiper speeds on one switch.

As far as adding electical gremlins, any wiring you do is a lot less likely to have gremlins than 20+ year old wiring done already in there and wasn't that great to start with. Besides it is just faster and simpler to rewire little electrical things rather than try to troubleshoot them and replace them back to stock. I actually added another fusebox just for the purpose of rewiring broken stuff. It has the wipers, the squirter, and the blower all running through it.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes I did it.
If you use the stock wiring there is no need to run a relay or fuse.
You are using the stock fuse and relay.
Unread 04-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeepride View Post
Anybody running their wiper motor from a toggle?. Its for my girlfriends 95 Wrangler.
Sure, take the easy way out, impress your future ex-girlfriend. It's not tough to do it the right way.
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
Tedster
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i broke mine off and have used rain-x ever since love it
Tedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
lbhutch03
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I have my wipers on toggle. I also have my headlights, running lights, horn, kc lights and even my heater on a toggle switch. Lol
But your wiper motor should have 5 wires coming off of it. In my case I had to run the toggle switch to the blue wire only. It took me a while to figure out but the wiper motor will only work when it is grounded by having the windshield up and bolted to the roll bar.
lbhutch03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.