Anybody put a Toyota 2RZ-FE in? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anybody put a Toyota 2RZ-FE in?

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 08-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
Xpress
Not enough Lumens...

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Anybody put a Toyota 2RZ-FE in?

These little suckers seem to have good power and gas mileage. Moreso than our 2.5L's, so I'm wondering if anybody has ever considered putting one of these in?

Just wondering. Drove my buddies Tacoma Xtra cab the other day and that thing was screaming with me feather footing it like I do my Jeep, and according to manufacturer specs, my Jeep is just a couple hundred pounds heavier...

-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the RIGHT of the people to keep and bear Arms, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
These little suckers seem to have good power and gas mileage. Moreso than our 2.5L's, so I'm wondering if anybody has ever considered putting one of these in?

Just wondering. Drove my buddies Tacoma Xtra cab the other day and that thing was screaming with me feather footing it like I do my Jeep, and according to manufacturer specs, my Jeep is just a couple hundred pounds heavier...
I actually wondered about the late-model (last year) chevy 2.9L 4-banger. Something like 189 HP and 28 MPG at least, lots of them in the late Malibu and HHR's.

I *strongly* prefer to keep my Jeep all Jeep tho. I can live with the low power and I love my 4 angry squirrels. Tho I admit the MPFI is prolly the best overall system on them, lots less hassle. Craiglist out my way, I can pick up a complete 2.5 with MPFI and ECU for $150.

Off topic, I was wondering whatever happened with your gas mileage, were the injectors leaking or anything?

Last edited by oldtime_ironman; 08-10-2011 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: my preference
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a winner!
My trooper with its 4 banger in it had more power than this open top brick I drive now.

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
Xpress
Not enough Lumens...

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, the gas mileage I've been reading is anywhere from 24 to 30 depending on how hard you run the engine. Even if you could get 22mpg out of it in the Jeep, it'd be worth the swap, as long as you can pick up the engine for cheap (which probably isn't going to be easy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman View Post
Off topic, I was wondering whatever happened with your gas mileage, were the injectors leaking or anything?
I'm not entirely sure what it is still. I'm at a stand still with money right now, but a new air filter seemed to help the engines get up and go power, and it seems to do alright on the freeway... Gas mileage went up a bit, but I'm still not at the supposed 17-20mpg I should theoretically be getting with my mens size 4 foot. I'd say I went up from 11 to about 14 with just an air filter.
Quote:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the RIGHT of the people to keep and bear Arms, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."
Unread 08-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah, the gas mileage I've been reading is anywhere from 24 to 30 depending on how hard you run the engine. Even if you could get 22mpg out of it in the Jeep, it'd be worth the swap, as long as you can pick up the engine for cheap (which probably isn't going to be easy).

I'm not entirely sure what it is still. I'm at a stand still with money right now, but a new air filter seemed to help the engines get up and go power, and it seems to do alright on the freeway... Gas mileage went up a bit, but I'm still not at the supposed 17-20mpg I should theoretically be getting with my mens size 4 foot. I'd say I went up from 11 to about 14 with just an air filter.
Yeah I know how money is - I'm unemployed, which is why I did *everything* to get good MPG's. Next on my list woulda been the O2 sensor and FPR.

By the way, did you know that the Chevy HHR has an SS model with a turbo? And a manual shift? I still wonder about swapping one of those from the local junkyards.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

If i were to swap another 4cyl into a Jeep it would have to be a 4bt diesel , or a Toyota 22RE with come Love from LC engineering
Unread 08-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
Xpress
Not enough Lumens...

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
If i were to swap another 4cyl into a Jeep it would have to be a 4bt diesel , or a Toyota 22RE with come Love from LC engineering
Not sure why you would favor the 22RE over the 2RZ-FE... The 22RE is outdated compared to the 2RZ-FE, which has more power/torque and DOHC. So far they seem to be a very reliable engine for only having been around for less than 20 years...
Quote:
Unread 08-12-2011, 06:11 AM   #8
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Bump to remind you of the original plan

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #9
Lemoore-on
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have thought about it as well, the 2RZ-FE exhust dumps out the same side as the 2.5L, I wonder if the tranny & T-case would work too?
Lemoore-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #10
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

As an aside, the Aisin transmission (AX5 and AX15) is japanese and used in a few toyotas. As I recall the input or output shaft, or maybe both, is different but it's worth doing some research if you're serious.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

There's only one swap I woudl consider doing and that's the 4BT. Maybe the izuzu version of the 4BT instead of the cummings version but either one is the only way I would go with a swap, if your going to put in that much time, money, and effort, might as well go all the way for the same price....plus it's a little less of a "gray area" as it's been done and documented before.
Unread 08-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #12
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

just throwing this out there, but i really doubt you would see the exact same mileage in a YJ. first of all the YJ has the aerodynamics of a large brick. so lots of wind resistance the Taco does not have. Also, as you said, the YJ is a bit heavier. Also gear ratios and tire size have a lot to do with it as well. If I'm not mistaken, the Tacos run a pretty deep gear ratio.

And finally, since you live in CA, your gonna have a hell of a time getting the swap approved and smoged. The engine you swap in will have to be the same year or newer than your YJ and ALL smog equipment from the donor engine will have to be re-installed with the new engine. Then you get the joys of dealing with the referee stations and even trying to get in to get it checked over. Unfortunately CA is a real PITA with engine swaps.

Edit: few other potential issues:
Don't think this has been done before as stated above, so you are gonna be on your own as far as motor mounts, trying to find and or make and modify headers to fit, trying to mate up the various systems with the Jeep and gauges and sensors and such.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #13
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Not sure why you would favor the 22RE over the 2RZ-FE... The 22RE is outdated compared to the 2RZ-FE, which has more power/torque and DOHC. So far they seem to be a very reliable engine for only having been around for less than 20 years...
I've never really paid any attention to the 2RZ-FE. When it comes to Toyota engines I only have knowledge of the 22RE and the 1JZ-GTE and 2JZ-GTE

Now a 2JZ would be a neat swap in a Jeep
Unread 08-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #14
Lemoore-on
1992 YJ Wrangler 

When I really think about it, if I was to go thru all that trouble why settle for another 4 banger?

I think a 4.0 makes much more sence
Lemoore-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 11:46 AM   #15
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoore-on View Post
When I really think about it, if I was to go thru all that trouble why settle for another 4 banger?

I think a 4.0 makes much more sence
Maybe he wants to be different

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.