anybody play with this soa? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > anybody play with this soa?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-03-2011, 06:29 AM   #1
87angler
1987 YJ Wrangler 

anybody play with this soa?

hey there fellers, i want to get an soa kit. http://www.rocky-road.com/yjspoa.html anyone play with this one yet? and how are they on a DD? this one looks safe but i would rather get some input before i just jump into something i wont want. i really want the extra flex and the added lift is nice too. also i have 31.50's with a one inch body lift and was wondering if anyone had some pics of something similar with the soa done to it. or would that just look ridiculous? thanks jeeniuses

87angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I don't usually recommend SOA kits, but I guess they have their place or they wouldn't still be on the market. I chose to source my SOA project from several different sources and was able to get what I wanted. Kits usually have several items that aren't worth their weight. As far as extended items such as brake lines and shocks go, is better to wait until the lift portion is done and measure for those types of items than go by a chart. Also, don't depend on perches to solve the spring wrap issue you'll need to address. Traction bar (not trac or panhard bar) is the only way to go. I don't have personal experience with the RRO SOA kit, but think Mean Max used one for his wife's Jeep. You may want to contact him for actual first hand input. I do think with this kit, you will be spending money on a couple of things you don't need. As far as your tire height goes, I think they will be swallowed. I have 35s and tons of room on 2" BDS springs SOA.
Unread 10-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hmmm. I'm kind of intrested in the SOA kit, I doubt I'll ever use it, if I do a suspension lift and when I plan on doing it, I plan on getting custom springs made and doing it with a deal I have in the local spring shop. But I am intrested in it.
Unread 10-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, don't go SOA if you're just gonna stick with 31's. Way too much lift for that size tire, IMHO.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Mean Max used that kit on one of his YJ's.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
Yeah, don't go SOA if you're just gonna stick with 31's. Way too much lift for that size tire, IMHO.
meh....

SOA with 3.5" lift springs, just give me LOTS of flex room..... but ya going bigger next spring...

I looked at the kit as well, but really all it gives ya is perches, which you can get anywhere, some ubolts, I got at my local springs hop, ubolt skid plats, meh, whateve...

so relocation brackets, which I dont run tracs or sways so... I pieced it together from other sources, and locally.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

i have been looking at this kit too. but i havent heard/read anything on them yet as it seems no one has them lol
'79 CJ7 stock, 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
I used Marvel once before I took my Jeep out on the trails. I didn't get stuck all weekend so I guess it works.
SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

^^ Most of it is basically, the stuff they offer out of all of it REALLY, all you will use is the perches, and MAYBE longer brake lines...

I dont run sways, so that stuff is useles to me, I cut and rewelded my shock mounts, and again each setup wil lbe different so you may or may not use those, I relocated my brake lines EASY took 10 minutes and no need to TRY and undo connections and strip all the lines and redo them anyhow, so I just moved them...

I dont run trac bars so those relocator brackets are useless to me...and anyone doing a SOA should not

perches, 10 bucks an ANY springs shop... ubolts skids, junk meh, cut them short all it a day.

so I guess in the end, REALLY think of what your doing when you do a SOA, if your not keeping tracs which you SHOULD NOT be, money wasted there, relocate your brake lines, some quick dissonnects for the sway if you keep it and run out to a springs shop and get perches.... you can order the OTT high steer kit which I DO highly recommend from OTT by itself.....

The highsteer kit for sure, anyone running big lifts OR SOA, I said before dont come on here *****ing about bad driving, death wobble, wandering, until you do a highsteer, THAT is your problem, 99% of hte time. PERIOD.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #9
decker903

i used the front perches from that kit on my dana 30 and i made my own for the rear because the rear wouldnt fit an 8.8 rear axle. but the front perches are holding up great the nice thing about them is they set all your angles for you. once there put on you might want to run a little weld on them depending on your comfort level of a bolt on perch.
decker903 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.