Any tips to get tcase linkage back together? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Any tips to get tcase linkage back together?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Any tips to get tcase linkage back together?

On our *final* run up the hill last night my buddy tried to get air and snapped my ujoint strap at the front transfer case yoke.

The driveshaft spun around a bit and started jacking stuff up. Needless to say...I had to drive home in "2 Lo".

Now I'm trying to put it back together and order parts.

The linkage isn't really wanting to go back together with pliers or clamps.

Any advice?

Btw: in fishing, your last cast is always the one that catches a fish. Why is it that the last run always results in damage or getting stuck?

soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
915kingwrangler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

have you opened the tcase?
915kingwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
On our *final* run up the hill last night my buddy tried to get air and snapped my ujoint strap at the front transfer case yoke.

The driveshaft spun around a bit and started jacking stuff up. Needless to say...I had to drive home in "2 Lo".

Now I'm trying to put it back together and order parts.

The linkage isn't really wanting to go back together with pliers or clamps.

Any advice?

Btw: in fishing, your last cast is always the one that catches a fish. Why is it that the last run always results in damage or getting stuck?
When you say linkage, do you mean the rubber piece that connects the linkage to the transfer case? If so, it's not easy, you just have to keep working at it. I'm sure there is somebody who has a secret, but it always took me a long while, just had to be patient.
Unread 05-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhouse

When you say linkage, do you mean the rubber piece that connects the linkage to the transfer case? If so, it's not easy, you just have to keep working at it. I'm sure there is somebody who has a secret, but it always took me a long while, just had to be patient.
Yeah its the rubber parts. I'm tempted to fab my own replacement.
Unread 05-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I figured out that I could get it by peaking over the back and using channel locks.

Add this to the list of crap I'll need to be able to do on the trail.
Unread 05-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
I figured out that I could get it by peaking over the back and using channel locks.

Add this to the list of crap I'll need to be able to do on the trail.
Good Deal!
Unread 02-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
RedDirtKustoms

Question my XJ I bought has no linkage from transfer case to the selector in the cab. It's a t249 . Naturally the linkages and shenanigans are discontinued, any ideas on fabbing up your own? I don't care if I have to crawl under my jeep to engage. Any ideas welcome
RedDirtKustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

threaded rod and a couple small heims (with female threads) bolted in to the levers.

or even fancier (and easier to adjust).... the center section of a turnbuckle, with male threaded (left and right) heims at each end
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Like so. YJames Credited.
image-3827689600.jpg  
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

And so.
image-2324151902.jpg  
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 04:45 AM   #11
RedDirtKustoms

Oh yah major help! Thanks for the pics they helped a ton . I'll definitely go that route this weekend if I can find the parts
RedDirtKustoms is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.