Any one have a Write up on external slave cylinder? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Any one have a Write up on external slave cylinder?

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-21-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
Jwessel
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Any one have a Write up on external slave cylinder?

Sorry i tried searching but everything i find is mixed up or something does anyone have a good write up on everything converting a internal slave cylinder to the external cause that would make my life heaven if i could get it to work

Jwessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know of one offhand, but here are some of the things you will need.

1) External slave style bellhousing for your AX-15
2) AX-15 front bearing retainer for an external slave style tranny
3) External slave cylinder
4) Clutch fork, pivot mount, throwout bearing, line from master to slave (all for external style slave)
5) At least one strong stupid friend

Anybody else want to add to the list?

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 03:17 AM   #3
MAILEBOY
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Do a member search for "Opihi59" he did a write up and he can help you out with where to get parts etc..wait, i've got the email he sent me, i'll paste here: From: Opihi59,
You need to line up the following parts: Bellhousing off of 94 or newer AX15, front input bearing retainer 94 and newer from AX15 (has long snout the throwout bearing slides on) Clutch fork from 94 or newer AX15 though I believe the AX5 uses the same part number, and of course the clutch master/slave combination one piece pre bled unit complete with hose for a 94/5 (ONLY 94/5) you can order from Morris 4 X 4 in Florida.Morris 4x4 Center-Hose Assembly For Master Clutch Slave 2.5 L or 4.0 LHd
I found my front input bearing retainer from ZBAG--Zumbrota bearing and gear used for $45, the Bell I got from a buddy doing a 350SBC conversion for $50. Master/slave about $160. Then of course you need the clutch kit, complete for a 94/5 AX15 which includes clutch plate, pressure plate, Throwout bearing and pilot bearing, about $180 or so Checkers, Napa, etc. Unless you do not care to replace the entire assembly then you only need the throwout bearing. Put a new seal into the front bearing retainer, part cost about $5 or so.
From there it is a completely bolt in no fabrication required event. Take out old tranny, pull off clutch assembly, pull off Bellhousing, install new clutch kit, change out your front input bearing retainer to the "new" long snout one and put the throwout bearing and clutch fork on when you bolt new bellhousing to transmission, reinstall in Jeep, then bolt on the clutch master/line/slave unit, then go offroading.
Hardest part to find likely will be the Bellhousing. I'd advertise in the WTB sections of online forums such as OahuJeepers, Jeepforum, etc check Craigslist daily, scavenge local junkyards, call Wrangler graveyard Jeep Wrangler YJ Used Parts and various other maneuvers such as that. Unless you get lucky, it will cost about $100. Occasionally you can find someone selling complete AX15 with external slave type Bell for cheaper than that, but it's rare.

Not difficult mod.
MAILEBOY is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.