Any ideas on stuck windshield hinges? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Any ideas on stuck windshield hinges?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-05-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
bigjoe27
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Any ideas on stuck windshield hinges?

I have an 87 Wrangler that I am about to Herculine the interior. Then I went to remove the dash to find most of the hinge bolts spin or strip the bolts. I was able to remove about 4 out of all the bolts the ones that are stripped I was going to weld a nut to and try again, but the ones that are spinning is my major question how to deal with. I planned on using a ginder and the welding nuts int the windshield frame but was wondering if anyone has a better idea of A. how to get them out B. how to repair or C. continue with the grinding and welding. Being that the frame doesn't have rust or paint chipping I would prefer to use the frame instead of buying a new one. Also the reason I have to remove the hinges is because they are frozen and PB Blaster did nothing to unstick them so I have new black ones to install. Any suggestions would be helpfull.

bigjoe27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hinge bolts on the windshield frame thread into threaded plate within the frame and the bolts on the tub side of the hinge fasten with nuts behind the dash. A lot of people will tell you to pull the dash forward a bit to access them, but they can be reached with a little patience and some scratched forearms. Be prepared to work on them blindly and to likely scrape off some rubberized coating to access the threads.
Unread 04-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
Brifr1231
1989 YJ Wrangler 

if u want to try to free the hinges still i finally got mine free by hiting it side to side with a hammer then using a pipewrench on the round part of the hinge attatched to the windshield, try to rotate it. thats how i got my 89 hinges to work.
Unread 04-07-2010, 07:42 AM   #4
bigjoe27
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Nah freeing the hinges isn't the issue anymore replacing them is being that I just decided to manhandle it once so now I have new hinges which were a steal off Ebay I got new in box shipped for 25 dollars black powder coated. So gotta get the old ones off now.
bigjoe27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.