any ideas for distributor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > any ideas for distributor?

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 04-15-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
2uraven
1990 YJ Wrangler 

any ideas for distributor?

I think its time to look at replacing my distributor. A cheap fix would be great since I just bought a new coil. any ideas?

2uraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

What is wrong with it right now?
Unread 04-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
2uraven
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i put in a new msd box and it seems like it didnt do anything for me. cant hold in 5th gear and no improvement in mpg. no improvement in power. waste of money? 250k on distributor, 70k on engine.
Unread 04-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
Cajun90YJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Find you an HEI chevy inline 6 distributor from a junkyard swap your gear to it and your good to go as long as emissions are not an issue.
Cajun90YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2010, 06:45 AM   #5
2uraven
1990 YJ Wrangler 

yea thats kind of the direction i was headed. dont the HEI use a coil on the cap though? I was real excited about my new blaster coil (because it cost more then it should have, not because i thought it was something special)
Unread 04-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #6
Cajun90YJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

some early gm's have an external coil that has 3 (power, tach, and plug wires) running from the remotely mounted coil to the dist. You need a distributor from any 77 chevy or gmc cars or trucks with the inline 6 and plug wires from an 80 ford F-150 with an inline 6. You can reuse the old gear off of your distributor but you might have to do a little grinding on the shoulder of it.
Cajun90YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2uraven View Post
i put in a new msd box and it seems like it didnt do anything for me. cant hold in 5th gear and no improvement in mpg. no improvement in power. waste of money? 250k on distributor, 70k on engine.
It will not matter what you do to the engine. 5th gear will not be usable untill you regear.
Unread 04-16-2010, 12:30 PM   #8
JohndKc
1987 YJ Wrangler 

He has a 4.2 on 31's. Mine had no problem holding fifth gear.
JohndKc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I am convinced his problem is not related to ignition or coil, I have an MSD blaster coil and 6A ignition (older model) and I can hold fifth gear on the highway with plenty of juice, 31 tires as well... Check your timing and your spark plug gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
shatteredsoul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just went with a reman from the Zone, it is a motorcraft has a lifetime warranty and was about $60 IIRC, my old one was shot.
shatteredsoul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #11
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

If you have done the Nutter and Team-Rush mods, your ignition system should be able to outperform a stock ignition.

These mods eliminate the computer de-tuning your engine and allow for maximum advance in the usable RPM range. Depending on the engine, as much as 12 degrees of advance (setting with vac advance blocked off for testing) at idle is often possible. This will give you slightly better gas mileage, easier starting, and a more stable idle. Also, off-idle performance will improve. Power at cruise should improve somewhat as well.

Ignition upgrades don't give startling performance gains, more like needed subtle refinements.
Unread 04-16-2010, 09:04 PM   #12
2uraven
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The nutter and rush did make a difference for my idle and starting but didnt seem to make any difference in response or on the top end. My timing was already at about 8*. I am not sure how nuttering makes any difference with an new ignition box installed. will start by rechecking my timing and plugs. when i had the engine rebuild i had them install an rv cam. do you suppose that would make a difference in terms of distributor gears if i decide to go with an hei already set up for the 258?
Unread 04-16-2010, 11:14 PM   #13
2uraven
1990 YJ Wrangler 

can anybody tell me why when i hooked up my msd ignition i had to hook it up using the white wire AND the magnetic trigger in order for it to run?
Unread 04-17-2010, 07:30 AM   #14
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2uraven View Post
The nutter and rush did make a difference for my idle and starting but didnt seem to make any difference in response or on the top end. My timing was already at about 8*. I am not sure how nuttering makes any difference with an new ignition box installed. will start by rechecking my timing and plugs. when i had the engine rebuild i had them install an rv cam. do you suppose that would make a difference in terms of distributor gears if i decide to go with an hei already set up for the 258?

Can't tell all you have checked, so here are a few more suggestions:

Do the spark plug evaluation by running the engine under load (highway speed) and shutting down. Pull the plugs and read the color to tell if you are correct, rich or lean under that condition.

Pull the advance plate out of your distributor and check if it is the low or high total advance plate. If it is the low plate, you can file the slot and get more total advance when you need it.

Re-time to 12 degrees advance and check for pre-ignition. Adjust the timing down till no more spark knock.
Unread 04-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #15
2uraven
1990 YJ Wrangler 

so amoung other things i had oil coming into my carb. while i was changing the plugs i thought now would be a good time to check compression and eliminate the dreaded blow by thought. number five is dead!! 20 pounds is all i got. theres the power issue. by the way the plug gaps were at 45. wtf? throw a used small block in? rebuld? engine was rebuilt 70k ago. not thrilled with it at this point. ideas?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.