Any good write ups on installing ball joints - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Any good write ups on installing ball joints

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Goobersbro

Any good write ups on installing ball joints

Okay i searched the forum and i searched google but couldnt find any good in detail write ups i found one write up that i can use but there is some stuff it leaves out and i like to have everything organized and know what im doing before i pull junk apart. So with that could someone post up a link to a good writeup on how to install ball joints.

Some of the questions i have that have verried from site to site are these

#1. one site said you need to drain the diff... why the crap do you need to do that???

#2. to remove the passenger side you dont have to deal with the c clip in the diff but you do have to remove the vacume disco and the shifter fork in there.

#3 I heard if you remove the vacuum disco that when you go to put it back on you have to have a new gasket rvt and its important to pour a little bit of gear oil in there.

#4 i heard you have to make sure that the outer shaft and the inner shaft on the passenger side need to go back in the same way they came out to insure they keep wearing the same???

#5 i heard if you pull the driver side shaft out you can mess up the inner seal and then have to replace that which isnt a biggie. because when i install the aussie i can deal with that but how true is that statement.

So if you guys could post up some links and answer some of my questions above that would be awesome.

Unread 03-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Try this link. http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/ball...alljoint-1.htm

You'll find that to do this job, you have to remove axles--to remove the D30 axle shafts, C clip version, you remove diff cover, drain the lube etc to pull out the cross pin that will allow you to remove C clip to pull axle.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
TheRealOldjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobersbro View Post
Some of the questions i have that have verried from site to site are these

#1. one site said you need to drain the diff... why the crap do you need to do that???

#2. to remove the passenger side you dont have to deal with the c clip in the diff but you do have to remove the vacume disco and the shifter fork in there.

#3 I heard if you remove the vacuum disco that when you go to put it back on you have to have a new gasket rvt and its important to pour a little bit of gear oil in there.

#4 i heard you have to make sure that the outer shaft and the inner shaft on the passenger side need to go back in the same way they came out to insure they keep wearing the same???

#5 i heard if you pull the driver side shaft out you can mess up the inner seal and then have to replace that which isnt a biggie. because when i install the aussie i can deal with that but how true is that statement.

So if you guys could post up some links and answer some of my questions above that would be awesome.
1) Probabally because in a HP axle the fluid line is above the bottom of the seals. So when you pull the shaft out, you'll get gear oil in the tubes. I don't drain the diff, but I do check the level when all done. Don't care about a little oil draining out.

2) you do to get it reinstalled. To take it apart you just pull the shaft out

3) You need to rtv or gasket the disconnect so it doesn't leak. Never heard of dumping oil in there, there is no outter seal.

4) huh? The outter and inner are in a different position everytime you connect the disconnect.

5) More likely to mess up the seal putting the shaft back in.
97 TJ 2.5L/30RH - daughters car

www.oldjeep.com My site
TheRealOldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
TheRealOldjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
Try this link. http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/ball...alljoint-1.htm

You'll find that to do this job, you have to remove axles--to remove the D30 axle shafts, C clip version, you remove diff cover, drain the lube etc to pull out the cross pin that will allow you to remove C clip to pull axle.
Why would you pull the inner on the disconnect side to replace the ball joints?

www.oldjeep.com My site
Unread 03-10-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
Goobersbro

yea i was wondering the same thing because in theory when you remove the vacuum disco the shifter fork releases and you can pull the outer shaft out correct but i will have to remove the c-clip on the drivers side to remove that shaft
Unread 03-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
TheRealOldjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobersbro View Post
yea i was wondering the same thing because in theory when you remove the vacuum disco the shifter fork releases and you can pull the outer shaft out correct but i will have to remove the c-clip on the drivers side to remove that shaft
You can actually pull the outter half out without removing the vac disconnect. Might even be able to install the shaft again without removing the disconnect.

As for the c-clip, there may or may not be one. My 94 shaft wasn't even machined for a c-clip.

www.oldjeep.com My site
Unread 03-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
Goobersbro

lol okay so basicly i just need to remove everything and see if i can pull the shafts if i cant then i need to open the diff drain it remove the c clip pull that shaft and then on the other side pull the vacuum motor ugh this is sounding way complicated and overwhelming me lol
Unread 03-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #8
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

ha ha! I just did this last week. Wish I would have taken pictures along the way, but I'm not one of those guys. I don't like getting grease on my $200 digital camera.

Anyway, to me its not one of those jobs you can get done in an afternoon. Luckily I have a 2nd vehicle and worked at my own pace. Took me a couple days, but I don't know how exactly how much time. PM me if you have any trouble and I can help you out since its fresh in my mind.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2009, 06:31 PM   #9
Goobersbro

yea im not pressed for time which is a good thing im gonna start soaking everything with pb blaster tonight and hope to get to it on sunday or next weekend the main thing holding me up on both projects (the aussie and the ball joints) is opening up that diff that thing scares the crap out of me there is just so much in there to screw up and empty your wallet ya know

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.