Originally Posted by Goobersbro
Some of the questions i have that have verried from site to site are these
#1. one site said you need to drain the diff... why the crap do you need to do that???
#2. to remove the passenger side you dont have to deal with the c clip in the diff but you do have to remove the vacume disco and the shifter fork in there.
#3 I heard if you remove the vacuum disco that when you go to put it back on you have to have a new gasket rvt and its important to pour a little bit of gear oil in there.
#4 i heard you have to make sure that the outer shaft and the inner shaft on the passenger side need to go back in the same way they came out to insure they keep wearing the same???
#5 i heard if you pull the driver side shaft out you can mess up the inner seal and then have to replace that which isnt a biggie. because when i install the aussie i can deal with that but how true is that statement.
So if you guys could post up some links and answer some of my questions above that would be awesome.
1) Probabally because in a HP axle the fluid line is above the bottom of the seals. So when you pull the shaft out, you'll get gear oil in the tubes. I don't drain the diff, but I do check the level when all done. Don't care about a little oil draining out.
2) you do to get it reinstalled. To take it apart you just pull the shaft out
3) You need to rtv or gasket the disconnect so it doesn't leak. Never heard of dumping oil in there, there is no outter seal.
4) huh? The outter and inner are in a different position everytime you connect the disconnect.
5) More likely to mess up the seal putting the shaft back in.