Any body done this that has feed back - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Any body done this that has feed back

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-20-2004, 10:02 PM   #1
87YJerryRig
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Any body done this that has feed back

http://www.links4jeeps.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=62

87YJerryRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2004, 12:28 AM   #2
Bobbywolf

I'll copy and paste for those who are too lazy to click Its about a home-made 2" suspension lift using GMC pickup truck springs.

I noticed my YJ front springs were starting to go negative on me and wanted to bring them back but I did not like the prices for any spring parts. Why not use springs from the Auto Salvage Yard? Went and looked over the springs they had and settled on rear late model GMC pickup springs. They were plenty long and the longer the spring the softer the ride. I paid $40 for the set.
I then went to AutoZone and bought 3 U-bolt kits that were 2 1/2 X 6 1/2 and one Pack that were 3 1/8 X 8 1/16 For $40. The larger U-bolts go on the front inside axle.
Tools: Jack stands, impact wrench, deep metric sockets, C-clamp, rubber hammer and two jacks.
To take the Salvage yard springs apart first C-clamp the spring pack and remove the Center bolt and then remove the spring wraps. When done slowly remove the C-clamp.
Spring removal:
1. Disconnect the battery and set the emergency brake. Then block the rear tires front and rear.
2. Jack the YJ front up and install your jack stands under the frame rails.
3. Set a jack under the axle you are working on to support the axle when the spring pack is removed.
4. Loosen the nuts on the spring eyes and shackles but do not remove them.
5. Remove the U-bolt, nuts and plate.
6. Remove the nuts and bolts at the spring hangers and shackles. Be careful when you do this because the spring will fall.
7. Set the removed spring pack on the work bench.
8. C-clamp the pack and bend the spring clamps back to allow the "new" springs to be installed.
9. Remove the spring center bolt and slowly untighten the C-clamp.
10. Install the leaves you decided to in a pyramid fashion. (The GMC springs: I did not use the first leaf with the eyes nor did I use the 6th Leaf which was an overload leaf. #2 and #4 were inserted into the front Jeep spring pack and #3 and #5 were inserted into the rear pack)
11. After inserting the "new" springs align the holes and insert a new spring center bolt and the C-clamp the springs together keeping the bolt straight. Tighten the center bolt with the bolt head up towards the eyes where the spring will attach to the axle. This is important!
12. Bend the spring clamps back on the axle.
13. Install the springs to the shackle and hanger. Install the nuts but do not tighten.
14. Install the U-bolts and slowly tighten. The center bolt head must go into a hole in the bottom of the axle for the proper alignment.
15. Once the bolt head is in the hole tighten the U-bolts with your impact.
16. Tighten the nuts on the shackles and hanger.
You have finished on a spring set. Repeat for the rest of the springs.
Don't forget to connect the battery.
Caution: When jacking the rear, jack only one side at a time.
Due to the steering the Jeep can move sideways on you. Be careful.
This project took me about 10 hours in my driveway. I took my time and went slowly.
2" of lift for $80, I am happy with it.
Bobbywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2004, 07:52 AM   #3
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

This type of thing is actually pretty popular with XJs I've noticed... search in the XJ forum and you'll see what I mean. Many of them find Dodge Dakota or Chevy S10 rear springs, remove the main leaf and the last overload leaf, then bolt what's left of the pack to the Cherokee main leaf. Good for 3-4". In concept you could do the same to our springs... and after reading about that for Cherokees I've been wondering why people in here dont.

In theory, you just need to find a set of leaf springs from something else in the j-yard that are the same width as our springs and actually have some arch to them. Use the YJ main leaf that bolts to the frame and shackle with the rest of the leaves from the donor pack. Here's an XJ link explaining this a little bit... although he also used the main Dakota leaf too, just cut the eye holes off of it, and then bolted that to his exisiting main leaf.

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...udget_Lift.htm

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2004, 07:55 AM   #4
87YJerryRig
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i'm a cheap sob, and was thinking with this homeadelift and 1" greaseable shackles I could get to where i want to be with not that much $ damage. anyone done anything similar???
87YJerryRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2004, 11:16 AM   #5
kizer

You otta ask themajor I'm sure he would answer any questions on the lift since he's currently still running it.
kizer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.